2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Thank you, yes many of those came up in the exercise either through my questions or just general exploration of the scenario. And you're right it comes down to just commercial sense, they didn't ask for any legal stuff, though I have to be honest, I understood the difference between "redundancy" and having a "settlement package" far too late in the process - speaking of which, what did you mean when you said you're unclear if he was being fired or made redundant; aren't they the same?
    Being fired normally means theres been some misconduct which is why the employee is removed from the company. Redundancy means the employee's job no longer exists and they are normally paid a compensation package. If someone is fired, they wouldn't receive compensation.

John Travoni

Legendary Member
    Jan 14, 2021
    Congratulations! I have just received an email telling me to sit the test too!

I agree with the above, it can be difficult to prepare for this kind of test as they want to discover your true strengths so I would advise answering honestly as any inconsistencies in your responses will be noted!
    Hi, the SST that you have to complete, what did you apply for and have you already completed the SST?

Lilz

Esteemed Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    Had an email from Mills and Reeve to say that I passed the Watson Glaser test benchmark! Now just waiting for my application to be reviewed.
    Congratulations! Do you know what raw mark you got? / what their pass mark is?

l
    Had an email from Mills and Reeve to say that I passed the Watson Glaser test benchmark! Now just waiting for my application to be reviewed.

Lilz

Esteemed Member
    Dec 16, 2020
    Awaiting the WG for Mills & Reeve.

However, I completely do not agree with Mills & Reeves application process. I think it’s quite inconsiderate of the firm to make you do a large application first, which will be ignored if you don’t pass their WG test. All those hours spent on an application for many individuals to not have their application reviewed. I think it’s peculiar that they are unable to mitigate people’s WG results, but are more than willing to mitigate people’s grades. I think it would be better if the firm adopted a more holistic approach, with the application form taking a priority.

From a logical perspective I think it potentially filters out great applicants. I guess they do it as a means of filtering out candidates in their recruitment process. Although, just because it narrows applicants down does not mean it is the most efficient way to do it.

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018

However, I completely do not agree with Mills & Reeves application process. I think it’s quite inconsiderate of the firm to make you do a large application first, which will be ignored if you don’t pass their WG test. All those hours spent on an application for many individuals to not have their application reviewed. I think it’s peculiar that they are unable to mitigate people’s WG results, but are more than willing to mitigate people’s grades. I think it would be better if the firm adopted a more holistic approach, with the application form taking a priority.

From a logical perspective I think it potentially filters out great applicants. I guess they do it as a means of filtering out candidates in their recruitment process. Although, just because it narrows applicants down does not mean it is the most efficient way to do it.

Clifford Chance do the same. It is equally annoying when you pass the written stage and then fail at the WG. They should have the WG open to everyone to start with and then you submit your written app after passing it.

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Hi all, just been invited to a VI with Willkie. I don’t have much experience with video interviews at all and really don’t want to miss out on this opportunity. Does anyone who has completed the VI with Willkie have any advice?

The email mentions it covers motivation, commercial awareness and understanding of law firms. Quite nervous about the commercial awareness aspect as that is of course rather broad.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Just had a browse of a previous application and I can see I have made some errors in the 'interests and achievements' section. Such errors included things like missing out words in sentences like 'a' and 'in' so the sentences lose a bit of their sense. Amateur stuff that. Safe to say I am extremely disheartened as I did check for those types of errors.... but obviously not well enough. Probably a stupid question but what is the likelihood of being instantly thrown out due to errors like that?

Easier said than done I know but as soon as you've submitted an app, chuck it somewhere you'll never see it until you need it again for the interview stage. I've looked back at some of my past successful applications and have noticed one or two similar kind of errors before. I think Jess also says all the time that 99% of the trainees she's recruited have made a typo in their apps. Obviously going forth proof read twice as many times as you did for this app (if anything just to avoid the worry you've given yourself), but I wouldn't beat yourself up too much over one small error. I think if your overall app is strong you could still stand a chance! :)

Reactions: Zoo, Jaysen and MizM

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi guys,

Hope you're all surviving - we can do this!

I'm completing an application form and a bit stuck on one question I've never had before - which reads:

"If you were given the opportunity to change one thing at the firm (Charles Russell Speechlys) what would you change and why? 250 words"

Now, I think there's an argument for two approaches to this question: 1) comment on something already in existence/operation at the firm and suggest amendment/improvement/expansion, or, 2) Mention how the firm should consider something new i.e- offering a skills academy like MdR Academy for employees or something of the like (my idea being with the 2nd approach you are not directly criticising the firm and getting yourself stuck in murky waters - but then I worry about not answering the question directly enough) Ah!

Sorry if this sounds silly but I hope someone else has had this dilemma with this question before and I'm not alone! @Jessica Booker maybe you have some advice?

Thank you thank thank you anyone!! <3

Both approaches sound good to me. I don't think you should worry about coming across as if you're critiquing the firm if you're merely suggesting amendments and improvements. It's not going to be taken badly at all, and if it does at come up at interview, I think they'd be more curious about your ideas for the improvements rather than try to catch you out because you think something is less than perfect. With regards to whether you'd be answering the question directly with the second approach, I definitely think that changing something at the firm could include identifying something the firm lacks and introducing something new to drive that change, so I'd say you'd still be answering the question.

Reactions: chromaticaqueen

Ricky

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Sep 16, 2018
    Hi all, just been invited to a VI with Willkie. I don’t have much experience with video interviews at all and really don’t want to miss out on this opportunity. Does anyone who has completed the VI with Willkie have any advice?

The email mentions it covers motivation, commercial awareness and understanding of law firms. Quite nervous about the commercial awareness aspect as that is of course rather broad.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Veep9

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Congratulations! Do you know what raw mark you got? / what their pass mark is?

l
    I don't know what mark I got - I just had an email to say that I had reached their benchmark (which I think is 70% but don't quote me on that).

I agree that it's unfair for them to only review applications of those who meet the WG benchmark. It was a fairly lengthy application to complete to potentially not even be read...

This is new for this year. Last year they reviewed your application before the WG invite. And then, if you met their benchmark, a partner would review your application.

Reactions: Lilz

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Me too but apparently they're giving out ACs slightly before the deadline

I remember there being quite a huge discussion about this last year on the forums. This is what their grad rec team have said on the matter.

Hi Faye,

Yes, we recruit on a non-rolling basis. So, everyone who applies before the deadline will have their application reviewed in the same way. We make no decisions on who to offer vacation scheme places to until we have received all applications.

You are not disadvantaged by applying on or near the deadline.

Regarding your application - I think you are presuming that places had been filled by people who applied earlier than you. That's not the case. We simply filled our places via the typical recruitment process. Places might have been filled by people who applied at the same time, or after you.

I really want to stress that people don't need to panic and apply way in advance of the deadline.

I hope that explains!

Thanks,

Paul

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen, law2021 and M1999
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.