2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

layk

Legendary Member
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer
Jul 16, 2019
I just handed in my Travers Smith application but only realised afterwards that I wrote in my cover letter i'm applying for the spring vacation scheme when TS only has a summer scheme. Will I be automatically rejected for this?

chromaticaqueen

Star Member
  • Jan 12, 2021
    Hey people... Hope you've managed to have a little time off over the weekend - I sure have!

I have a question about the Farrer & Co application... I want to apply for the 2021 vac scheme with the view to securing the 2023 TC. Since that is the case, do I select both boxes on the application under 'positions you are applying for,' or do I only select vac scheme as this will naturally lead to a TC interview? I know it's a small detail but important nonetheless. Attached is a screenshot for reference to how it appears...

Also never completed a cover letter before so any pointers, especially in relation to Farrer & Co cover letter formats would be massively appreciated. Sorry if this question is repetitive and has been answered already :confused:

Thank you, thank you! x

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 00.20.19.png
      Screen Shot 2021-01-18 at 00.20.19.png
      67.5 KB · Views: 25

Maculay

Jan 31, 2020
    Hey people... Hope you've managed to have a little time off over the weekend - I sure have!

I have a question about the Farrer & Co application... I want to apply for the 2021 vac scheme with the view to securing the 2023 TC. Since that is the case, do I select both boxes on the application under 'positions you are applying for,' or do I only select vac scheme as this will naturally lead to a TC interview? I know it's a small detail but important nonetheless. Attached is a screenshot for reference to how it appears...

Also never completed a cover letter before so any pointers, especially in relation to Farrer & Co cover letter formats would be massively appreciated. Sorry if this question is repetitive and has been answered already :confused:

Thank you, thank you! x

You would only need to apply for "Vacation Scheme 2021" as presumably at the end of the vacation scheme you will be interviewed for a training contract for 2023. The selection for "Training Contract 2023" is likely for their direct training contract application and typically you can't apply for both avenues in the same cycle at a firm.

TikiTaka18

Jan 18, 2021
    Guys, I need to share this with someone. I've been offered a vacation scheme place at one of the most elite firms in the City. I actually can't believe this has happened. I come from a low socio-economic class and have had so many obstacles to overcome throughout my life. But, I must say, I was an absolute beast in the interview. I answered everything they threw at me. I felt like, at that moment, I could have achieved anything. They told me I was "one of the best candidates" they'd ever interviewed. It's taken me ages to process all of this and share it with anyone. I haven't told my friends yet, only my immediate family knows.

Please note, I don't intend for this post to be boastful or anything of that sort.

I want to share one thing with everyone - do not try to be anyone else, be only yourself.

I do not consider myself to be special in any way, or to have any particular talents. But, I work bloody hard, and if I don't know something, I will do everything I can to get the answer. I do not give up.

I want all of you who doubt yourself to know that; you've got this! It's in your hands. You can't control everything. Worry about the things you can and prepare to the fullest.

I hope that this has inspired some people and that you realise, it's not a competition with others, it's a competition with yourself. Better yourself each day.

Big hugs to everyone! Much love!

Maculay

Jan 31, 2020
    Guys, I need to share this with someone. I've been offered a vacation scheme place at one of the most elite firms in the City. I actually can't believe this has happened. I come from a low socio-economic class and have had so many obstacles to overcome throughout my life. But, I must say, I was an absolute beast in the interview. I answered everything they threw at me. I felt like, at that moment, I could have achieved anything. They told me I was "one of the best candidates" they'd ever interviewed. It's taken me ages to process all of this and share it with anyone. I haven't told my friends yet, only my immediate family knows.

Please note, I don't intend for this post to be boastful or anything of that sort.

I want to share one thing with everyone - do not try to be anyone else, be only yourself.

I do not consider myself to be special in any way, or to have any particular talents. But, I work bloody hard, and if I don't know something, I will do everything I can to get the answer. I do not give up.

I want all of you who doubt yourself to know that; you've got this! It's in your hands. You can't control everything. Worry about the things you can and prepare to the fullest.

I hope that this has inspired some people and that you realise, it's not a competition with others, it's a competition with yourself. Better yourself each day.

Well done and congratulations! This message highlights the importance of looking at the bigger picture in the grand scheme of this arduous process.

• 🤝
    Reactions: TikiTaka18

collie_121

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 30, 2020

MASSIVE CONGRATULATIONS!! I love hearing uplifting stories like this, thank you for the motivation :)

• 🤝
    Reactions: TikiTaka18

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020

Many congrats! Success is even sweeter when you have to overcome real challenges to get there!!

• 🤝
    Reactions: TikiTaka18 and cmaj
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.