2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenix for all

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 13, 2020
    What do you write for a question like"Please tell us about your achievements and positions of responsibility"? I am in full time employment (left university quite a few years ago) so my recent positions of responsibility are basically my current and previous jobs, but I have already covered that in the work experience section... @Jessica Booker any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    What do you write for a question like"Please tell us about your achievements and positions of responsibility"? I am in full time employment (left university quite a few years ago) so my recent positions of responsibility are basically be my current and previous jobs, but I have already covered that in the work experience section... @Jessica Booker any thoughts on this?
    You can explain the things you did pre employment.

You can also talk about things you do outside of your day job. That could be anything within the work place or outside of it. That could be anything from fundraising, volunteering, sports or social activities, community work etc.

Reactions: Phoenix for all

LegalUser

Standard Member
  • Dec 8, 2020
    Has anyone applied to CRS? Having trouble finding a thread for it here. This question, which is 250 words, is a tricky one, especially as they want you to focus on *one* thing. Any one have any advice?

"If you were given the opportunity to change one thing at Charles Russell Speechlys, what would you change and why?"

LegalUser

Standard Member
  • Dec 8, 2020
    Does anyone have any tips for not feeling so nervous during video interviews? this is the stage I tend to keep stumbling at even with lots of preparation!
    I felt absolutely the same with this and the most useful advice for keeping my nerves down from a partner I met on work experience was to breathe intentionally, be present (so only focus on what is being asked in the moment/task), and treat everyone you meet as a potential colleague that you will work *with*. If you were on the job, you wouldn't want your opinion ignored or not assert what you feel.

I hope that helps. I normally also have a chamomile tea or a hot bath to feel relaxed before a video interview. Something that gets rid of your nerves (or minimises them!).

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Having done dozens of applications, I just want to point out that Willkie's online application form is by far the most user-friendly one I have encountered! Great job on their side! It makes the whole process much more enjoyable.
    Agreed!!!! It makes me like a firm so much more when their application process is smooth, not to name names but there are a few firms that I have liked substantially less by the time I'm ready to submit...

Reactions: H212

LegalUser

Standard Member
  • Dec 8, 2020
    What do you write for a question like"Please tell us about your achievements and positions of responsibility"? I am in full time employment (left university quite a few years ago) so my recent positions of responsibility are basically my current and previous jobs, but I have already covered that in the work experience section... @Jessica Booker any thoughts on this?
    My experiences in this respect were a while ago too - it hasn't stopped me mentioning things outside of work that I did at 16 or during undergraduate.

Science Competitions,
    Volunteering
    Time caring for elderly relatives
    Extracurricular

I tend to think they just want to see you have a longstanding habit of taking responsibility or want to give you the opportunity to cover everything that shows the skills they want rather than how recent they are.

Reactions: Phoenix for all
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.