2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legalregal

Valued Member
Jan 13, 2021
Firms that are hardline on sending PFOs if you don't have AAB, rather ABB for instance, despite candidates having got a 2:1, passed the LPC and worked for a couple years baffle me
I actually prefer when they're upfront about grades they want so I know not to apply. Rather that than firms that say they have no minimum but in actual fact is a strong consideration for them

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    I know some people were told by TW not to do the Arctic Shores game for disability / reasonable adjustments-related reasons. Has anyone in that situation heard, either with an AC or PFO?

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021
    Someone talking over you constantly would only reflect badly on them, not you! My advice:
    • The assessors know the limitations of being virtual (i.e. the lag may mean there's some talking over, etc.) so I don't think they'll be too harsh about that if you apologise and don't do it constantly
    • The loudest person isn't necessarily performing the best - ensure everything that you say is correct, important and relevant
    • Don't overdo the classic 'group negotiation exercise advice' of "I'll put a timer on!!!" "Shall we move on and come back to this!!!" etc., as it can come across as pretty forced and unnatural in some instances - obviously these can be helpful in moderation (and sometimes necessary) though
    • They're really assessing teamwork so be polite and considerate!
    This is very helpful, thank you😊

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Weird question, but I'm intrigued to know if anyone has been put off applying to a firm after what they have experienced with the firm this cycle?
    I almost didn't apply to one firm this year because of my experience last year. I got to a Skype interview stage and found the grad rec quite standoffish (and came across bored) in the interview. It was the first time I'd gotten to that stage, so I was already really feeling the nerves. And then to top it off, they didn't give feedback. Which I think is just poor when you've gotten to that stage.

Ultimately I did still apply because I love the firm and the work it does. Plus, everybody else I've met who works for the firm has been lovely!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Do you think with some firms there is an element of not wanting it to be public knowledge that they're not taking on trainees, maybe due to business not being as great as they are portraying? So they mess around candidates rather than be clear about the situation?

I have to say I would be pretty incandescent if I got to a vac scheme and found they hadn't intended to hire, and had known it for a while. And even more so if they tried to save face by advertising again the next year like nothing had happened.

It says a lot of good things about a firm when they act with integrity and treat their candidates like that too. Especially as there is such a strong power imbalance at play in the hiring system.

MizM

Star Member
    Nov 8, 2020
    Just did the Ashurst test. In the tests that were comparable to a wider group, my results were higher than 55% of others who took the test. I hear that you should really be hitting 70%+ to be considered for interview... Therefore, I am now definitely not too hopeful for an interview invitation!!

Reactions: ab01

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Some probably even graduated with a 2:2
    If this is the firm I think, a partner proudly spoke at an event I attended about graduating with a 2:2 lolol

I am also in the Reed Smith PFO gang

ways highlander GIF

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I know some people were told by TW not to do the Arctic Shores game for disability / reasonable adjustments-related reasons. Has anyone in that situation heard, either with an AC or PFO?
    Interesting they told you not to do it when I was the one who had to tell them in November. They seemed pretty sure I would be fine but I was like... no.

And no, haven't heard from them.

Reactions: Veep9

Kablahc

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Winner
  • Aug 31, 2020
    omg, wait, so people actually got to skip Arctic Shores for their disability?? I have a disability relating to my hands and the only thing they gave me when I told them about it was 20% extra time (when the whole game is untimed)!!!!!!!!

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Do you think with some firms there is an element of not wanting it to be public knowledge that they're not taking on trainees, maybe due to business not being as great as they are portraying? So they mess around candidates rather than be clear about the situation?

I have to say I would be pretty incandescent if I got to a vac scheme and found they hadn't intended to hire, and had known it for a while. And even more so if they tried to save face by advertising again the next year like nothing had happened.

It says a lot of good things about a firm when they act with integrity and treat their candidates like that too. Especially as there is such a strong power imbalance at play in the hiring system.
    Yes, I agree. I really feel that there should be way more transparency when it comes to how many TCs are offered via the different routes in each particular year. Although a vacation scheme might be great experience, it is incidental for the majority of candidates. We just want a training contract. It's not at all fair to allow us to put in this time and effort if there is nothing at the end of it for us...

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    omg, wait, so people actually got to skip Arctic Shores for their disability?? I have a disability relating to my hands and the only thing they gave me when I told them about it was 20% extra time (when the whole game is untimed)!!!!!!!!
    I think it depends: I had a really bad experience with PwC's test. My disability meant the test didn't reflect me at all and triggered some of the issues I have (migraines etc).

I really put my foot down and they were pretty accommodating about it.

• Sad
    Reactions: whisperingrock

leolegal

Distinguished Member
    Dec 23, 2020
    Wow that sucks! I'm sorry to hear. Seems like they have no idea what they're doing

LJ96

Premium Member
    Feb 29, 2020

From personal experience, I think so. Last year I had an AC with a firm which they began by telling us they had reduced the number of TCs available for the particular stream I applied for (its a firm that divides into personal/ business TC (hint)). When someone asked how many seats were available they said they were not allowed to say (?!). I didn't see anyone get a TC at the firm for the particular stream I applied for (in that office). Incredibly frustrating.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.