2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmaj

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019
    Happy to help. For knitting (or crochet) patterns, the best place to go is Ravelry. So many are free and its all organised by difficulty, needle size, etc. Also, I learned mainly through youtube because of the many many many tutorials that exist, so even self teaching is simple. If you need any tips on how to get started DM me! :)
    I have put this in a little note of mine and stashed it for the weekend! This is a very exciting prospect thank you! Expect me to slide into your DMs about knitting in due course...

You've had responses from most of yours already?!?

I applied to 28 firms this cycle (the most I've ever done). I have so far heard from 8. They seem to be taking their sweet sweet time with me ;_;
    TWENTY-EIGHT!!!!! Lawd I could never. I think I applied to eight and then two winter vac schemes way back when.

I saw a tweet that said buying books is a hobby in itself lol
    I saw that too and may or may not have quote tweeted it with 'I feel attacked'...

Matt_96

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
  • Dec 15, 2018
    Ah! That makes perfect sense! Time aside, I applaud your motivation and dedication to research, plan and write 28 apps! 👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

It was a bit of a challenge motivating myself whilst unemployed to do something on an application every day as I was quite burnt out from an accelerated law degree. But weirdly enough once I got a temp job to tide myself over, it became a lot easier to do it as the structure added a familiar pressure that helped me get on with it!

I also had a lot of help from the 15 apps and the interviews I had made from the last cycle. I reckon the majority of firms I reapplied to were those - although my answers to questions changed, I didn't really need to do much in the way of extra research into each of them. It made things a lot quicker.

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Reading back (and, yes, I am not opening what happened) I think its important to make a general point on stress.

These applications are stressful - and tests too. But this forum is a place of support (and my memes lol). If you are stressed or don't feel great, step away from the keyboard. It's easy to be a certain way online and hide behind anonymous names but we are all human. We are here to support - you go glen coco :)

Some self-care tips:
    - Download Forest on your devices to block apps and devices to destress
    - Read a book - yes, even wattpad
    -
    Watch an awful movie, like Twilight (the best character is Charlie the dad, don't fight me)
    Episode 1 Applause GIF by Friends

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    Happy to help. For knitting (or crochet) patterns, the best place to go is Ravelry. So many are free and its all organised by difficulty, needle size, etc. Also, I learned mainly through youtube because of the many many many tutorials that exist, so even self teaching is simple. If you need any tips on how to get started DM me! :)
    Crochet is pretty rad too - but super hard ahahah

Reactions: cmaj

Celestie

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    2020 Community Winner
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I started crocheting again recently! I was never particularly good at it, but I decided to self draft a pattern to make timmy and tommy nook from animal crossing because no one on etsy has made one for me to use yet haha
    You play ACNH? Oh my god - I really wanna crochet and make a Celeste (for obi reasons lol)

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    To return to the status quo of corporate law and application-based discussions...

Do any of you feel a little lost now that VS application season is coming to an end? All of mine are submitted, I've had responses from a majority of them, there aren't any more tests/VIs to do... it's like when exams finish. I work all day but I used to work all evening too. Now I'm not quite sure what to do with myself and I feel like I've forgotten how to relax! Anyone got any tips on what to do next?! Will accept suggestions for games, courses, fun hobbies to take up... what are y'all doing? I need a new project to get started on!
    Haha I remember this feeling well!

I can thoroughly recommend binge-watching Wentworth Prison on Prime Video (for series 1-6, 7 and 8 are only available on... less accountable... platforms). It's basically everything OITNB tried to be and just failed at (sorry to any OITNB fans). Word of warning, don't start it if you have literally anything to do for the next while - I'm about a week behind my diss reading and it's 100% Wentworth's fault!

Edit: if you're into reading thrillers, I can thoroughly recommend Stuart McBride's Logan McRae series; for those into more gallows humour or who have an affinity for Glasgow in any way, the Lennox series by Craig Russel is an absolute joy to read.

cmaj

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 18, 2019

I can thoroughly recommend binge-watching Wentworth Prison on Prime Video (for series 1-6, 7 and 8 are only available on... less accountable... platforms). It's basically everything OITNB tried to be and just failed at (sorry to any OITNB fans). Word of warning, don't start it if you have literally anything to do for the next while - I'm about a week behind my diss reading and it's 100% Wentworth's fault!

Edit: if you're into reading thrillers, I can thoroughly recommend Stuart McBride's Logan McRae series; for those into more gallows humour or who have an affinity for Glasgow in any way, the Lennox series by Craig Russel is an absolute joy to read.
    Okay this is perfect because I have basically completed Netflix and just got Prime today to try and trawl for something new to watch! Wentworth it is, I’m READY.

Love these recommendations, keep them coming!

legalCheek27

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 29, 2020
    Sorry I’ve posted this question on 2 other sub-threads, but:

On friday evening (5th Feb), was sent the White & Case VI interview invite, saying I have 3 days to complete it. But (and this is probs because the VI invite was sent just before the weekend), it said:

“The deadline for this interview is 10 Febuary 2021 (GMT+00:00).”

I know that most deadlines include the day of the deadline, but I assumed that ‘00:00’ here meant that I have to complete the VI before the 10th (ie finish it by the end of Tuesday night).

But, I’ve just been sent a reminder email from the firm saying “the deadline for the video interview is on Wednesday”, which confused me.

Do I have to complete the VI by the end of Tuesday night (9th), or by the end of Wednesay (10th)?

summer207

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 22, 2021

Going to have to watch this now because I’m not having this OITNB slander 😢

• Haha
    Reactions: cmaj

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020

On friday evening (5th Feb), was sent the White & Case VI interview invite, saying I have 3 days to complete it. But (and this is probs because the VI invite was sent just before the weekend), it said:

I know that most deadlines include the day of the deadline, but I assumed that ‘00:00’ here meant that I have to complete the VI before the 10th (ie finish it by the end of Tuesday night).

But, I’ve just been sent a reminder email from the firm saying “the deadline for the video interview is on Wednesday”, which confused me.

Do I have to complete the VI by the end of Tuesday night (9th), or by the end of Wednesay (10th)?
    I think do it today (Tuesday), just to to be safe!

Reactions: ishikam

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

If it is on Launchpad it means 23.59 on the 10th.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.