2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob93

Legendary Member
Dec 29, 2020
Are direct TCs generally reserved for graduate changers/graduates? Also can you apply for a direct TC after you've failed to get VC with a firm- in the same application window?
To your first question, what I have usually been told by grad rec is that if you are applying direct TC they will be more concerned that you have prior relevant legal work experience. They want you to know what you're getting into. If you've done, say, a couple of vac schemes that will generally tick the box, as might a lengthier period as a paralegal although I think in that case it depends a lot on the nature of the work.

Second question, that very much depends on the firm. Check with grad rec if you're unsure.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I got a question that I don't know how to phrase to sorry.

I recently attended a law firm fair with White and Case. They said that they look at the application as a whole and if you don't meet the A Level requirements of AAB you can still apply as we look at the application as a whole. As I don't meet those A-Level requirements but am on course to achieve a 2.1 in my degree with achieving 1st in 3rd year of my law degree. I wanted to ask should I still consider White and Case application. I know law firms use the Rare Recruitment contextual thing so I wanted to know what do people think of this. What do you think @Jessica Booker have you ever seen someone one with not meeting A Level requirements with no mitigating circumstances progressed.
I can’t say for W&C specifically.

I think you have to look at firms wording carefully. Saying candidates “must have achieved” something is very different to “candidates typically will have achieved” or “we usually look for”.

For instance, at one firm I worked for it was a strict requirement that only people with extenuating circumstances were considered who didn’t have those grades

At Freshfields, I recruited people with CCD and even no A-levels (with no ext circs), but they used to not have a minimum A-level criteria and would just say “strong academics” which could be evidence by degree results instead.

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
Oct 20, 2020
To your first question, what I have usually been told by grad rec is that if you are applying direct TC they will be more concerned that you have prior relevant legal work experience. They want you to know what you're getting into. If you've done, say, a couple of vac schemes that will generally tick the box, as might a lengthier period as a paralegal although I think in that case it depends a lot on the nature of the work.

Second question, that very much depends on the firm. Check with grad rec if you're unsure.
Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Just a random post to share how grateful I am for this forum, especially on a day with two PFOs. It is SO nice knowing that you guys get this process and know the struggle of landing that one TC. Sometimes it's hard explaining this to fam/friends who think a CV, a cover letter and a good law degree should be all you need to succeed (which it is in some countries lol). Not sure how I'd stick to this process without being able to have these chats with you all ♥️ 🤝

Completely echo this - it's so important to have a tight-knit community given how tough the process is and the current circumstances. Thank you to each of you for continuing to support one another during all of this. We think you guys are amazing.

Rob93

Legendary Member
    Dec 29, 2020
    @Jessica Booker I realise it's hard to generalise this across firms, but how much weight is really put on the university at which applicants completed their undergrad? As a follow-on, I studied in Canada at a university which is mid-tier in national/global rankings, but on a course of study for which the university is particularly well-regarded. Would it be worth contextualising that in future applications, or no?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I realise it's hard to generalise this across firms, but how much weight is really put on the university at which applicants completed their undergrad? As a follow-on, I studied in Canada at a university which is mid-tier in national/global rankings, but on a course of study for which the university is particularly well-regarded. Would it be worth contextualising that in future applications, or no?
    It’s generally not that important for vast majority of firms. There might be some very elite firms that do care, and so in those rare circumstances it might be worthwhile mentioning.

Rachel H

• Nov 27, 2020
    I can’t say for W&C specifically.

I think you have to look at firms wording carefully. Saying candidates “must have achieved” something is very different to “candidates typically will have achieved” or “we usually look for”.

For instance, at one firm I worked for it was a strict requirement that only people with extenuating circumstances were considered who didn’t have those grades

At Freshfields, I recruited people with CCD and even no A-levels (with no ext circs), but they used to not have a minimum A-level criteria and would just say “strong academics” which could be evidence by degree results instead.
    Hi Jessica, thanks for this. Can I ask how true you think this attitude to lower A levels at Freshfields is now, if you had to speculate at all? Sorry if it's been asked before!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Your daily reminder to proofread, proofread, proofread: "swiftly" somehow ended up as "sexily" in one of my (thankfully unsubmitted...) answers

Good lord how quickly I would have been rejected :eek:
    I once was copied into an email to a lot of senior people in a firm about them attending a networking event and it clearly mixed up Bs for Ps which said:

“Drinks and nipples”

But the one that literally had me laughing all day (I couldn’t stop laughing about it - in fact just thinking about it now is still making me giggle) was a candidate talking about a change in the global economy and they missed the F out of the following phrase

“substantial global shift”

Lawbour

Legendary Member
    Dec 25, 2018
    Can I just say - if you're in a group exercise and someone gives a great idea, don't shoot it down just because he/she did well for the other exercises. Just came out of a group exercise where my idea was shot down and I was utterly bullied by everyone on the basis that it "wasn't interesting" when the criteria we were supposed to judge the idea against were all objective, business factors. I have never seen such unprofessionalism in the few AC group exercises I have attended thus far. If you want to win a slot on the scheme, win it on the basis of your strength and don't win it by putting others down. To the others who just sided with the bully and said "yeah" with some grunts of affirmation - shame on you.
    This sort of thing honestly scares the hell out of me! I've worked so hard over the years to appear more 'confident' and 'outgoing' in situations like this and at networking events and just the idea of this sort of thing happening to someone has made me quite (probably unreasonably) upset... I really hope you're ok and end up getting that VS! ❤️💜

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi Jessica, thanks for this. Can I ask how true you think this attitude to lower A levels at Freshfields is now, if you had to speculate at all? Sorry if it's been asked before!

Suspect it is still there (but that is speculation). You do need to show academic excellence elsewhere though - poor A-levels with no ext circs and an average degree grade probably isn’t going to be sufficient

Reactions: Rachel H

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Just received BCLP PFO for TC. Gutted! But I applied for VS as well, so not sure if I'm rejected for both as my letter only stated rejected for TC. Is anyone else in the same boat? Does this mean I am still being considered for VS?

Also re the 'considered strong application', I did not receive that this time. But did the year before. So well done!
    I thought BCLP review TC applicants after the deadline in May!

Can someone please provide some insight on when we should hear back for BCLP TC?

Reactions: John Travoni
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.