2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

FC

Star Member
  • Jan 27, 2020
    Anyone else receive this PFO from Farrer & Co? Want to see if it's automated.

"We have received an extremely large number of applications this year and have had the unenviable task of having to disappoint many excellent candidates. We are very sorry not to be able to offer you a place on our scheme and hope this does not deter you from applying for a training contract with us if you have not already done so. Applications for 2023 training contracts close on 9 July 2021"

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Is it favourable or unfavourable to tell a firm that you have already been successful in gaining a VS with another firm? (whilst explaining that you still have interest in them)
    I don't think it's a bad thing because firms know you realistically are applying to other firms and also the fact you have managed to gain a VS at another firm says that you clearly are a candidate that is sought after- I think the only drawback is if the firm is completely different to the firm you are currently interviewing for (that is if they ask for the firm you have a VS at)- at my interview I mentioned previous VS and I got the VS

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    I don't think it's a bad thing because firms know you realistically are applying to other firms and also the fact you have managed to gain a VS at another firm says that you clearly are a candidate that is sought after- I think the only drawback is if the firm is completely different to the firm you are currently interviewing for (that is if they ask for the firm you have a VS at)- at my interview I mentioned previous VS and I got the VS
    Ahh thanks! I am so conflicted. My family members say I shouldn’t mention it. However, that may be because they don’t know enough about this profession and the application process. I don’t want to be disadvantaged in any way by telling them

Cho

Aug 8, 2020
    Sorry if this is not appropriate for this thread haha.

I was just wondering, does anyone have tips for choosing seats for VS?
    I have so many seats I wanna take, and I was wondering if anyone has wise tips to share! :)

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Ahh thanks! I am so conflicted. My family members say I shouldn’t mention it. However, that may be because they don’t know enough about this profession and the application process. I don’t want to be disadvantaged in any way by telling them
    That being said, I only mentioned it when they asked- I mentioned my VS confirmed my interest in commercial law- they then asked about it more and the outcome of my VS- I didn't really mention out of the blue that I have another VS

Reactions: hopefullawyer123

GK8997

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Sep 25, 2020
    Sorry if this is not appropriate for this thread haha.

I was just wondering, does anyone have tips for choosing seats for VS?
    I have so many seats I wanna take, and I was wondering if anyone has wise tips to share! :)
    Do you have any particular options you're deciding between? I struggled as well but I picked the seat I will learn the least about from my studies- for example, I did debt finance on the LPC so I chose private equity over banking and finance as I wanted to learn more about the former

Reactions: J32
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.