2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

packhorse

Esteemed Member
Jan 12, 2021
I don’t know why people are disagreeing with you when this is exactly what GR at Shearman said... they are non rolling and give interviews slightly before just to manage the workload but you’re not at a disadvantage if you apply on the deadline.
I disagree because:

1. There is a limited number of places for interviews/ACs.
2. If people are screened before the deadline and are progressed, this reduces the number of chances of applicants applying on the deadline (i.e. later) having their application progressed (because there is a limited number of places).
3. So claiming that the date of application does not impact your chances, and that it does not disadvantage applicants, is false. Earlier applicants have a greater number of opportunities to be progressed compared to applicants who apply later, even if there is a commitment that their application will be read.

Thank you for listening to my Ted Talk 😁.

Staples

Legendary Member
  • Sep 11, 2020
    I disagree because:

2. If people are screened before the deadline and are progressed, this reduces the number of chances of applicants applying on the deadline (i.e. later) having their application progressed (because there is a limited number of places).
    3. So claiming that the date of application does not impact your chances, and that it does not disadvantage applicants, is false. Earlier applicants have a greater number of opportunities to be progressed compared to applicants who apply later, even if there is a commitment that their application will be read.

On point 2, my hunch is that the people who get invites before the deadline are those who are such strong applicants that they’d progress anyway.

In other words - if you’re tasked with screening 1000+ apps and start screening them a little early, and you find a super strong application that would be progressed anyway, I think it makes sense for you to shortlist them sooner rather than later. It doesn’t change the overall outcome and allows the applicant to hear back earlier.

Just my feeling though. I have no evidence that’s really the case, of course.

hlos14

Feb 18, 2021
    First post on here..

DWF AC!!! Anyone got any advice for the topscore software / DWF AC? Never done a virtual AC before so really nervous.
    when did you complete your video interview? had mine yesterday so wondering how long it might be before i'm likely to hear back! congrats on getting through to the AC!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I disagree because:

Although never an exact science, you can do some predicting of your talent pipeline that makes it fairly easy to review applications as you go and not disadvantage people later on in the process.

It could be argued that if you were really strict at the outset, you might have more proportionately more places for those applying later in the process too, so it might not be as black and white as there being fewer places proportionate to the number of applications received.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    On point 2, my hunch is that the people who get invites before the deadline are those who are such strong applicants that they’d progress anyway.

In other words - if you’re tasked with screening 1000+ apps and start screening them a little early, and you find a super strong application that would be progressed anyway, I think it makes sense for you to shortlist them sooner rather than later. It doesn’t change the overall outcome and allows the applicant to hear back earlier.

Just my feeling though. I have no evidence that’s really the case, of course.
    That’s pretty accurate to be honest. Graduate recruitment is known as the “weapon as mass rejection” and so it isn’t also really about finding those really strong applications early, to be frank it’s about removing those who would never meet your benchmark no matter how many applications you received.

CareerChanger

Valued Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Jan 5, 2021
    What do we think our chances of hearing back from OC this week are?
    Im ready for that PFO whenever it comes
    Katharine Hepburn Salute GIF

frog

Star Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    23 Jan so pretty close to deadline too! Some people did their WG and even interviews quite a long time ago
    From what I have seen there is only one person on their GR team so could just be a case of them getting many more applications towards the deadline and getting swamped

Edit: Last year I applied for a direct TC on the deadline (I think?) and heard back about a month and a half later and from how things look it seems like firms are receiving many more applications this year

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Staples
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.