2020-21 Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew M

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Jan 7, 2020
Anyone else just feeling hopeless. I’m a first class law student from a top Russell group university and my entire life I’ve tried so hard to do well and I just keep getting rejections. All my friends seem to know what they are doing next year and I’m stumped. I feel like I’m simply unemployable.
I felt this way last year. I got rejected at the application stage for all but two firms (made one AC and one interview). I beat myself up *so* badly! But after reaching out to people and receiving some feedback on my applications - I made the slightest of tweaks - I've been invited to the AC and/or final stage interview at 6 of the 7 firms I applied to, and have thus far received one VS offer (with 5 still outstanding). If I can do it then so can you :)

p9b

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 29, 2019
I felt this way last year. I got rejected at the application stage for all but two firms (made one AC and one interview). I beat myself up *so* badly! But after reaching out to people and receiving some feedback on my applications - I made the slightest of tweaks - I've been invited to the AC and/or final stage interview at 6 of the 7 firms I applied to, and have thus far received one VS offer (with 5 still outstanding). If I can do it then so can you :)
Do you mind me asking, what were some of the tweaks you made? Im in a similar position and would love to know how to improve my apps!

abab

Standard Member
  • Apr 10, 2020
    Anyone else just feeling hopeless. I’m a first class law student from a top Russell group university and my entire life I’ve tried so hard to do well and I just keep getting rejections. All my friends seem to know what they are doing next year and I’m stumped. I feel like I’m simply unemployable.
    You aren't alone with this mindset, I have felt like this too! Remember to focus on yourself and your own lane..direction over speed :)

• Love
    Reactions: JoNo and Samantha

Andrew M

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Jan 7, 2020
    Do you mind me asking, what were some of the tweaks you made? Im in a similar position and would love to know how to improve my apps!
    I held back a lot, both in terms of selling myself and my motivations for applying to X or Y firm. So this year I made a point when reading my application back to consider a) do my answers reflect what I can offer the firm? b) are my motivations clear, convincing and personal to me (e.g. not generic)? and c) do I show a good level of knowledge of how the firm operates?

Happy to look over an application and offer some thoughts if you like :) sometimes all you need is a fresh pair of eyes.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Does anyone know if competency / value based interviews can involve situational questions?
    Yes, they definitely can - they're quite a common feature of interviews I've attended.

I cover situational questions in my Interviews Article accessible via my signature in case you're looking to read up on them a bit :)

Reactions: C
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.