Amount of work experience

LawGal

Sep 13, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering how much legal and non-legal work experience you guys have? I do not know if I am being rejected because of my lack of sufficient legal work experience. I am working in the finance industry and I know why I am interested in commercial law, but do I need to quit and apply for a paralegal position just to show my interest?

Thanks!

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
I have a mix of both but have been transitioned to the next stage before with none at all! Although, some places are quite particular about it so it might depend on where you're applying.

Your position in the finance industry sounds more of a bonus than a detriment since its commercial law you're pursuing.

Do you have any legal experience?

Reactions: LawGal

LawGal

Sep 13, 2018
Yeah, I rather not give up this job I think it will be more beneficial for me in the future to have industry knowledge, but I am unsure as to how picky law firms are. I have shadowed solicitors at Freshfields (through informal work experience) and an attorney in another country, done work at a Pro Bono clinic and attended to open days and worked as a Cafe Customer Assistant at M&S (lol).

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Hi,

I was wondering how much legal and non-legal work experience you guys have? I do not know if I am being rejected because of my lack of sufficient legal work experience. I am working in the finance industry and I know why I am interested in commercial law, but do I need to quit and apply for a paralegal position just to show my interest?

Thanks!

I've found myself in a similar position in the past.

As Hazal has said it will depend on each firm. I think the accepted view is that there is a need more "legal" experience for direct TC applications than VS. But again some firms (like a few of the Magic circle) require no legal experience even for direct TCs.

In my view, experience is experience. Legal or non-Legal. A lot of people will not have any or if they do it maybe superficial. So your experience would seem fine, especially if you're going for VS. But hey I'm not a recruiter.

It might be worth considering how you present your finance experience. I.e would someone in HR spending 2 seconds looking at it be able relate it to the role of a solicitor/a law firm or the skills/qualities required.

DO NOT quit for paralegal work if you've got your foot in the door in a decent plan b! I won't go into why, as I've got pretty strong views on why and it's a long story.

Last edited:

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
Yeah, I rather not give up this job I think it will be more beneficial for me in the future to have industry knowledge, but I am unsure as to how picky law firms are. I have shadowed solicitors at Freshfields (through informal work experience) and an attorney in another country, done work at a Pro Bono clinic and attended to open days and worked as a Cafe Customer Assistant at M&S (lol).
I think they're all viable! You have a good enough amount of legal experience.

Definitely don't leave it haha. I'm also going into the finance sector, while still aiming for law

It might just be another part of your application? The impression I got from law firms were they look at applications holistically but also place quite a bit of weight on your long-form questions.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I agree with the others. Your experience in finance should be attractive to a law firm provided you present it well. I'd encourage you to lean on that as your USP.

I'd check over your applications as that's where many candidates fall down.

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
    1. There is no such thing as the ideal amount of work experience to have. I have met students with 1-2 work experience stints that have been offered vacation schemes/training contracts.

2. The most important factor is how to discuss your work experience. Recruiters want to see detailed achievements with as many specific details as possible. Avoid listing responsibilities by saying 'I proofread, attended meetings etc.' How did you make an impact through the work that you have taken?

3. The work experience section is a great place to sell yourself. Make sure that you are really doing this. Focus on skills that you have learnt/developed and why are they relevant to the firm and the role of a trainee.

4. Ask for feedback and redraft the work experience section as much as possible. I was once told by a recruiter that this the weakest section on most application forms that are rejected. This is not due to lack of experience but poor drafting skills in formulating applications.

Reactions: bob

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.