Answering why specific office question

Catherine

Distinguished Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hey all.

I am trying to prepare an answer for a question asking 'why the London office' of a firm which has both other international and national offices (DLA Piper).

I think it is quite likely that I will get asked why the London office (As I did an Open Day at a different office) and am not sure how to approach this question.

Possible ideas were that the London office has more international and cross border work and works on the most challenging cases/ transactions - but the firm try to emphasise that they disperse work evenly throughout their offices so not sure if this is the best approach!

Any help would be appreciated!

Hazal

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 25, 2018
hey :) I appreciate this is late but...

So I think your points are valid because how valid can it be that work is evenly dispersed. Sometimes the reality is that a piece of work has to be undertaken in London because the best team for that work is there.

Some specific reasons that spring to mind include: is it one of DLA's biggest/most profitable markets? - consider why you would want to work there for that reason if it is

If you're considering why London over a regional office, you should think about "city law" in particular. London is one of the financial capitals of the world - you're not going to get the same work in Manchester, for example, despite it still being in the UK. That ties into your bit about international work. Regional offices likely support their region whereas London has global links because of the types of firms that settle there

Hope that helps a bit

_Will_

Star Member
Jan 7, 2019
I think you could also talk about the reputation of the City, i.e. the City is a 'cluster of excellence' - it draws in global experts in finance, business and law, and you want to be a part of this and contribute towards it. In addition, I think mentioning personal reasons (e.g. you have friends or family in London) would also be perfectly valid to mention as part of your response.

I agree that talking about the quality of work may be more difficult because DLA have made a point in recent years to spread the quality work to the regional offices also.

Hope this helps and best of luck with your interview!

Reactions: Alice G, Salma and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.