Ask Willkie Farr & Gallagher Anything!

chirag12

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 17, 2023
Hi @WillkieGemma ,

I hope you are doing well,

I've seen the Willkie website and it states that you look for good academics and a 2:1. I just wanted to know what the firm's a-level requirements were and how much weightage they would have on the application process.

Thanks

James12D

Premium Member
Sep 2, 2023
HI Gemma,

I have a question regarding where firms have specific work experience sections with large text boxes (e.g., 250 words). Should these be structured to a CV in terms of a bullet point style, and then talk more in-dept about the experiences in the cover letter, or should we write in full paragraphs reaching the word count for experiences for example a part-time job?

Many thanks

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    Hello @WillkieGemma i want to ask if having a small business (i began after graduation) can replace the need to have been employed? I am a recent graduate but i have not had my first job yet. However, i was involved in things during university such as writing an article for my Law School blog and also being invited to advisory board meetings by the Dean after being recognized by my course director in my first year during Covid-19.

Thank you & God bless you!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @WillkieGemma ,

I hope you are doing well,

I've seen the Willkie website and it states that you look for good academics and a 2:1. I just wanted to know what the firm's a-level requirements were and how much weightage they would have on the application process.

Thanks
    Hi @chirag12 We don't have A Level requirements, which is why they are not included. Thanks!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    HI Gemma,

I have a question regarding where firms have specific work experience sections with large text boxes (e.g., 250 words). Should these be structured to a CV in terms of a bullet point style, and then talk more in-dept about the experiences in the cover letter, or should we write in full paragraphs reaching the word count for experiences for example a part-time job?

Many thanks
    Hi @James12D My personal preference is for you to talk about them thoroughly in the work experience section. I personally wouldn't use bullets but would talk about each work experience thoroughly. If you just had a one week work experience, there's no need for you to use the full 250 word count. Try and focus on experience and what you did, rather than purely list skills though!

Reactions: lawstudent1245

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hello @WillkieGemma i want to ask if having a small business (i began after graduation) can replace the need to have been employed? I am a recent graduate but i have not had my first job yet. However, i was involved in things during university such as writing an article for my Law School blog and also being invited to advisory board meetings by the Dean after being recognized by my course director in my first year during Covid-19.

Thank you & God bless you!
    HI @Sunshinepink I don't know of any law firm that has an employment requirement, so don't overthink this. Owning and running a small business, however, would be as relevant and useful as having a job (it is a job!). What great experience you must have gained!

Sunshinepink

Legendary Member
  • Feb 1, 2023
    HI @Sunshinepink I don't know of any law firm that has an employment requirement, so don't overthink this. Owning and running a small business, however, would be as relevant and useful as having a job (it is a job!). What great experience you must have gained!
    Hello @WillkieGemma thank you so much! Would the same apply for ‘work experience’ sections - where I can discuss my small business as opposed to working for an employer?

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Hello @WillkieGemma hope you are well. I’m interested in applying for a position on your vacation scheme but I hold a law degree from outside the UK. I have looked at the firm’s FAQs where it mentions ‘applications from all universities’ does this mean all universities within the UK or would the firm accept my application too having studied overseas?

Thank you for your help & have a nice day ahead :)

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi
    How much client contact do trainees get? Is it true that trainees are often given NQ level responsibility?
    Hi @Tintin06 - you would need to speak to a trainee to get a real idea (we're at the Legal Cheek law fair tomorrow, which would be a good chance to speak to Emilia or Anthony) rather than me, as I'm not a trainee. But, we genuinely work in very small teams, sometimes it is just a partner, an associate and a trainee, which means you will have client contact from the get-go. In terms of NQ responsibility, it depends on the trainee and the work that is coming in. Whilst our trainees get real responsibility and learn at a very quick pace, you can't (and shouldn't!) give first seat trainees NQ level work, as it's important that you have a great foundation in your legal education and it could be rather overwhelming.

Reactions: Tintin06

ADKM

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2022
    Hi @Aditya Kasiraman, international students are very welcome to apply, as well as UK students who have studied abroad. Our London office has many different nationalities and universities represented!
    @WillkieGemma thank you for your reply. This is very helpful and great to know about the diversity in Willkie’s London office!

Reactions: WillkieGemma

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi
    I'm glad that is the case! You would be surprised how many law firms do that. Anyways, I look forward to getting an insight into the firm's work firm's work on Friday.
    Hi @chirag12 - the Friday session is devoted to applications only, rather than talking about our practice areas - I'm afraid there isn't the time to go through both. If you wanted to talk to a trainee, please come along to the Legal Cheek law fair tomorrow where there will be three of us (one trainee, one just qualified associate (who trained at Willkie) and me).

Reactions: chirag12

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.