Ask Willkie Farr & Gallagher Anything!

icl

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 21, 2022
Hi @Aditya Kasiraman, international students are very welcome to apply, as well as UK students who have studied abroad. Our London office has many different nationalities and universities represented!
Is there any way of getting a training contract as an international? I studied in the UK but no longer have a valid visa to participate in a vacation scheme

Nehajain13

Sep 6, 2023
Hi, I’m Neha. Law graduate from university of Glasgow. I have been applying for entry level roles (legal assistant and paralegal roles) however still getting rejected. This has impacted my confidence as not sure if I can make it for TC and Vac Schemes. I understand law firms say that all experience is helpful but most of them do ask for law experience, what would your advice be to secure entry level position

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
Hi, I’m Neha. Law graduate from university of Glasgow. I have been applying for entry level roles (legal assistant and paralegal roles) however still getting rejected. This has impacted my confidence as not sure if I can make it for TC and Vac Schemes. I understand law firms say that all experience is helpful but most of them do ask for law experience, what would your advice be to secure entry level position

Hi @Nehajain13 most firms I know don't ask for legal work experience for vacation schemes, as it is very difficult to obtain (nless through personal connections). However, I would recommend attending events, virtual events are great, to build up your understanding of law firms as a business for your vac scheme/tc apps. I'm afraid I don't recruit for paralegal/legal assistant roles, so not sure how useful my advice would be for these roles.

Divz

Sep 6, 2023
Hi all

Happy to be back for the new application season. As ever, I'm happy to answer all your questions, whether in relation to Willkie or other firms. For context, in addition to working in legal graduate recruitment for 14 years, I spent nine years working in Employability at a law school and at a diversity platform, where I helped hundreds of candidate to vac scheme and TC success.

Many thanks
Gemma
Hi Gemma,

I hope you're doing well. Thank you for taking out your valuable time to answer our questions.

I would like to enquire whether you would welcome an application from an experienced London-based paralegal but also foreign qualified lawyer, who would require a Tier 2 visa sponsorship to work full-time if selected for a training contract.

Since completing my master's studies, I have been selected for a couple of graduate schemes with Times Top 100 companies, but my priority has always been to upskill myself in the legal industry.

I have a demonstrable track record of quality work experience, self-initiatives and top academic grades.

I would be grateful if you could please throw some light on the approach on recruiting international candidates but who also have experience working in London. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Divya

al97

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
May 30, 2023
Hi Gemma, I have a few questions:

1. Is it okay to tailor my work experiences to the firm? For example, for the 250 word count, I spent 200 words to talk about my skills, then 50 words to highlight how these skills are important to the firm

2. I quit my job as a paralegal to focus on SQE self-study and TC apps, which created a gap on my CV. May I know if it's a good idea to mention that I reached the interview stage for xxx firm? I felt that this is useful to evidence my interest in a particular sector because the firm is known for certain expertise in that field. However, I'm worried that it's not a good idea to mention other firm in my apps.

Thank you for your advice!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
Hi Gemma,

I hope you're doing well. Thank you for taking out your valuable time to answer our questions.

I would like to enquire whether you would welcome an application from an experienced London-based paralegal but also foreign qualified lawyer, who would require a Tier 2 visa sponsorship to work full-time if selected for a training contract.

Since completing my master's studies, I have been selected for a couple of graduate schemes with Times Top 100 companies, but my priority has always been to upskill myself in the legal industry.

I have a demonstrable track record of quality work experience, self-initiatives and top academic grades.

I would be grateful if you could please throw some light on the approach on recruiting international candidates but who also have experience working in London. Thank you.

Kind regards,
Divya
Hi @Divya.Suganf=d Thanks for your email. Yes, as mentioned above, several of our future trainees require a work permit. We welcome applications from all!

Many thanks
Gemma

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
Hi Gemma, I have a few questions:

1. Is it okay to tailor my work experiences to the firm? For example, for the 250 word count, I spent 200 words to talk about my skills, then 50 words to highlight how these skills are important to the firm

2. I quit my job as a paralegal to focus on SQE self-study and TC apps, which created a gap on my CV. May I know if it's a good idea to mention that I reached the interview stage for xxx firm? I felt that this is useful to evidence my interest in a particular sector because the firm is known for certain expertise in that field. However, I'm worried that it's not a good idea to mention other firm in my apps.

Thank you for your advice!
Hi @al97

Please see below!

1. You can, but it's more important to tell us what you did, and what your achievements were in each role. The skills should be apparent if you do this. Don't list a bunch of skills without the context in which they were used. Often, I read applications and have no idea of the person's role or what they actually did and any responsibilities they were given.
2. Please don't worry about gaps on CV - it's very common on applications as many candidates have taken time out to travel or study. I wouldn't mention that you got to interview stage for other firms however. Your interest in a particular practice area or business sector should be reflected in your why law or why willkie answers.

many thanks
Gemma

legally.brown

Legendary Member
  • Sep 27, 2021
    Hi Gemma,

I hope you are doing well. Thank you for doing this.

l am currently interning at law firm and I work with various departments.
    I was wondering if I can use one experience to substantiate different points under a question? or will it be seen as being repetitive?

For ex - I worked with the legal tech team and their dispute resolution team and for “Why Willkie” can I use this particular experience twice under the same question.

Thank you!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma,

I hope you are doing well. Thank you for doing this.

l am currently interning at law firm and I work with various departments.
    I was wondering if I can use one experience to substantiate different points under a question? or will it be seen as being repetitive?

For ex - I worked with the legal tech team and their dispute resolution team and for “Why Willkie” can I use this particular experience twice under the same question.

Thank you!
    Hi @aspiringsolicitor03 Thanks for your message. It's about meaningful content, rather than referring to something more than once. Often, when people refer to the same work experience/employment, it can read as quite repetitive, so make sure you are making an entirely new point. You always can use your own research/conversations with people at events/law fairs etc as to your reasoning!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @WillkieGemma

I have just completed my final year and am looking at applying for training contracts in this application cycle. I am asking on here in case anyone else is in the same situation and cannot find any advice online.

During my final year exams I am ashamed to admit that I committed and was found guilty of minor academic misconduct in one my university exams. I took full responsibility for this, and the matter was dealt with internally in the university (it was not escalated to OSCCA, meaning that it never went to a regulatory nor professional body). This meant that my grade in that module was dropped by one grade, although my overall degree grade is still a good 2:1. I do not believe that the transgression is on my transcript, and my tutors are supportive of my applications knowing that it was a one time mistake which I sincerely regret.

I was wondering whether you had had any experience of a situation like this before, and if you believe it is still possible to secure a training contract? Would I be able to explain the situation fully or satisfactorily in an interview if it came up? I regret my actions continually, and hope that I can still pursue my dream career in spite of them! I believe that I have a strong application otherwise, and that I am still fit and able to be an excellent and trustworthy solicitor.

Thank you very much for taking the time to consider this, and apologies for the sensitive question.

Best wishes,
    Daniel
    Hi Daniel

AS this is a sensitive question, I have sent you a dm.

thanks
    Gemma

al97

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 30, 2023
    Hi @al97

Please see below!

1. You can, but it's more important to tell us what you did, and what your achievements were in each role. The skills should be apparent if you do this. Don't list a bunch of skills without the context in which they were used. Often, I read applications and have no idea of the person's role or what they actually did and any responsibilities they were given.
    2. Please don't worry about gaps on CV - it's very common on applications as many candidates have taken time out to travel or study. I wouldn't mention that you got to interview stage for other firms however. Your interest in a particular practice area or business sector should be reflected in your why law or why willkie answers.

many thanks
    Gemma
    Hi Gemma, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer. Just a follow-up on no.1

1. I understand your emphasis on the skills. If I can give an example, say I'm trying to highlight my project management skills as a crime team paralegal, will it be a good idea to add something as such?
    "Having spoken with [WFG trainee], I learned that she exercised project management skills whilst working on [WFG transactions].

I thought this is a good idea to highlight my knowledge of the firm. Appreciate your advice, thank you Gemma!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer. Just a follow-up on no.1

1. I understand your emphasis on the skills. If I can give an example, say I'm trying to highlight my project management skills as a crime team paralegal, will it be a good idea to add something as such?
    "Having spoken with [WFG trainee], I learned that she exercised project management skills whilst working on [WFG transactions].

I thought this is a good idea to highlight my knowledge of the firm. Appreciate your advice, thank you Gemma!
    Hi @al97

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The emphasis should be on you and your work, rather than listing skills. No firm would be expecting applicants to match the skills of a trainee or an NQ - it would be unrealistic. Rather, focus on what you have done, the efforts you have made and your achievements within each role. The skills then should leap off the page, so to speak!! It's great to highlight your knowledge of the firm, but don't do this to the detriment of letting us know about the great things you have done, whether on legal work experience or paid employment in any sector or role (whether law, retail, hospitality etc\).

thanks!
    Gemma

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just to butt in on @WillkieGemma ‘s point above, I would avoid saying things like:

Having spoken with [WFG trainee], I learned that she exercised project management skills whilst working on [WFG transactions].

Graduate Recruiters don’t need you to tell them what their trainees do or know - Grad Rec know this all too well! They want to find out about you, and so this would just be wasted word count telling them something that 1) isn’t about you and 2) they already know!

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi Gemma, I was wondering if it is okay to list open days as work experience. Or should we only talk about them in the open-ended questions?
    Hi @babylawyer1942 Yes, you can but make sure you go beyond the generic, i.e. don't say 'I attended an Open Day at [x law firm] where I networked with partners, associates and trainees and participated in an [x practice area] workshop.' What did you learn? How did it make you more certain that you wanted to pursue commercial law etc. You can also amalgamate several experiences into one entry, if they are quite similar!

Reactions: lawstudent1245

al97

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 30, 2023
    Hi @al97

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The emphasis should be on you and your work, rather than listing skills. No firm would be expecting applicants to match the skills of a trainee or an NQ - it would be unrealistic. Rather, focus on what you have done, the efforts you have made and your achievements within each role. The skills then should leap off the page, so to speak!! It's great to highlight your knowledge of the firm, but don't do this to the detriment of letting us know about the great things you have done, whether on legal work experience or paid employment in any sector or role (whether law, retail, hospitality etc\).

thanks!
    Gemma
    This is incredibly useful! Thank you Gemma!

Reactions: WillkieGemma

al97

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 30, 2023
    Just to butt in on @WillkieGemma ‘s point above, I would avoid saying things like:

Having spoken with [WFG trainee], I learned that she exercised project management skills whilst working on [WFG transactions].

Graduate Recruiters don’t need you to tell them what their trainees do or know - Grad Rec know this all too well! They want to find out about you, and so this would just be wasted word count telling them something that 1) isn’t about you and 2) they already know!
    Thank you Jess!!!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Giorgos

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 5, 2023
    Hi @WillkieGemma,

Hope you are well. I wanted to ask about work experience and extracurriculars. I am currently starting my 3rd Year in a non-law degree and I have minimal law work experience and some Forage certificates, Bright Network Commercial Law Internship and Legal Check Vacation scheme.
    1.Do you value more law work experience rather than non law work experience when reviewing applications from applicants with a non-law degree?

2. Regarding those three experiences mentioned above( Forage, Bright Network and Legal Cheek) do they add value in an application and if they do under which section( work experience, extracurricular should they be added?

Thank you so much in advance.

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @Giorgos

Thanks for your email. Please see my responses:

1. No, I don't value legal work experience more than other work experience or employment. Legal WE very difficult to obtain (nless through personal connections).
    2. It depends on how you write about it - what did you gain from the experience, what did you do, how did it confirm your desire to be a commercial solicitor etc. You can include under w/c or extracurricular - it is up to you as there is no hard and fast rule.

Many thanks
    Gemma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.