Ask Willkie Farr & Gallagher Anything!

Giorgos

Star Member
Premium Member
Jul 5, 2023
Hi @Giorgos

Thanks for your email. Please see my responses:

1. No, I don't value legal work experience more than other work experience or employment. Legal WE very difficult to obtain (nless through personal connections).
2. It depends on how you write about it - what did you gain from the experience, what did you do, how did it confirm your desire to be a commercial solicitor etc. You can include under w/c or extracurricular - it is up to you as there is no hard and fast rule.

Many thanks
Gemma
Thank you so much Gemma!

Reactions: WillkieGemma

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
@WillkieGemma would you say you are the most coveted and famous graduate recruitment figure in the UK legal market? I can't think of someone as well known as you (Laura Yeates of Latham stands out too). I am very fond of your work!
Morning @InvesmentBanker - what a question! I have never thought about it! I really enjoy helping people and that's all really!

shreya.mehta

Sep 8, 2023
Hi all

Happy to be back for the new application season. As ever, I'm happy to answer all your questions, whether in relation to Willkie or other firms. For context, in addition to working in legal graduate recruitment for 14 years, I spent nine years working in Employability at a law school and at a diversity platform, where I helped hundreds of candidate to vac scheme and TC success.

Many thanks
Gemma
Hi Gemma, hope you’re doing well. I’m a second year non-law student and wanted to confirm if I’m eligible to apply.

Additionally, what would be your advise on how we should approach the following questions:

Q. Please explain why would you like a career in commercial law.
Q. Please explain why you are applying to Willkie.

hanz123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 16, 2022
Hi all

Happy to be back for the new application season. As ever, I'm happy to answer all your questions, whether in relation to Willkie or other firms. For context, in addition to working in legal graduate recruitment for 14 years, I spent nine years working in Employability at a law school and at a diversity platform, where I helped hundreds of candidate to vac scheme and TC success.

Many thanks
Gemma
Hi Gemma,

Do you have any advice on answering why commercial law, tell me about a news story and why this firm/why does it stand out?

Thank you!

CT

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Aug 20, 2018
Hi Gemma, I'm an international student currently on skilled worker visa (restricted work). I'm aware that I'm restricted in terms of hours and job code for any additional work. Do you know if I'll be able to apply for a vac scheme with the firm? Thank you

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
Hi Gemma, hope you’re doing well. I’m a second year non-law student and wanted to confirm if I’m eligible to apply.

Additionally, what would be your advise on how we should approach the following questions:

Q. Please explain why would you like a career in commercial law.
Q. Please explain why you are applying to Willkie.

Hi @shreya.mehta - my first piece of advice would be to attend one of my applications workshops - a list of all events can be found here, under 'Meet Us' https://www.willkie.com/careers/leg...iscover-more-and-apply/united-kingdom#country

My advice for application is this: make sure your application demonstrates real research into the firm and the career, and that you use your own authentic voice. By this I mean applying meaning to your application, i.e. if you state a fact about the firm or the career, tell us why you are mentioning it - why is it meaningful to you.

We are recruiting for those who can start their TC in September 2026. As you would need to the GDL or equivalent, you're not eligible this year, but you are very welcome to attend all of our events.

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
Hi Gemma,

Do you have any advice on answering why commercial law, tell me about a news story and why this firm/why does it stand out?

Thank you!
Hi @hanz123 Please see my above reply to Shreya. The news story, you should pick something from the last six months, that is relevant to that firm (i.e. to its practice areas, or clients).

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
Graduate Recruitment
Nov 4, 2021
Hi Gemma, I'm an international student currently on skilled worker visa (restricted work). I'm aware that I'm restricted in terms of hours and job code for any additional work. Do you know if I'll be able to apply for a vac scheme with the firm? Thank you

Hi @CT Yes, this is fine, you would just work the hours you are able to work.

Louise59

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 13, 2023
    Hi @WillkieGemma,

I hope you are doing well ?

You mentioned in the application workshop that you reviewed applications on the rolling basis. Do you also progress applicants to the next stages (but do not take a final decision until the deadline) or is it only the applications you review ?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
    Louise

WillkieGemma

Valued Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Nov 4, 2021
    Hi @WillkieGemma,

I hope you are doing well ?

You mentioned in the application workshop that you reviewed applications on the rolling basis. Do you also progress applicants to the next stages (but do not take a final decision until the deadline) or is it only the applications you review ?

Thank you!

Kind regards,
    Louise

Hi @Louise59 I review the applications and progress to video interview, which I also review on a rolling basis. But the final two stages (written and interview) take place after the deadline. There is no point rushing your application.

thanks
    Gemma

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all

Just wanted to let you know that I'm on annual leave from the evening of Monday 11 September, returning to work on Weds 20 September. I'll reply to all messages after my hols if they come in after 5.30 pm today.

thanks!
    Gemma

(@Jaysen @Jessica Booker )
    Hope you have a lovely break!

• Love
    Reactions: WillkieGemma

arthraj14

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 18, 2023
    Hi @babylawyer1942 Yes, you can but make sure you go beyond the generic, i.e. don't say 'I attended an Open Day at [x law firm] where I networked with partners, associates and trainees and participated in an [x practice area] workshop.' What did you learn? How did it make you more certain that you wanted to pursue commercial law etc. You can also amalgamate several experiences into one entry, if they are quite similar!
    Hi Gemma,

Would the completion of a summer school course on International Arbitration count as Work Experience or would it still be a part of academics?

Thanks,
    Arth

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.