Baker McKenzie

LS12

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    It’s based on what it says in the email.
    I think the point is the email is open for interpretation, how you’ve read it you may see no likelihood that those who haven’t heard will be invited to an AC. That being said, when they said we would hear by Monday, on Monday many people were saying they were refreshing their emails (myself included) and that was okay.

the difference is that some people have heard (congratulations to those people!!). But a member said that in the past they’ve offered ACs in batches. Whilst it may also be a bank holiday weekend, we really don’t know if the emails are automated or how the firm has decided to respond.

It may seem pragmatic to you to continue with the next application, but every person on this forum is in a different headspace.

I really just think, to keep this space as positive and constructive as intended, we shouldn’t be telling people they have been rejected unless they really have had the rejection email, no matter how likely it seems to you!

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    To add to Lydia's comment, I also think we should remember that not every applicant is on this forum and I think as amazing and supportive as it is, we should not get too nervous (from each other) before we know the actual outcome. There are 4 assessment centres, so people will get invites! Once again, good luck as I am also still waiting for my outcome! :)

Reactions: LS12

Changes

Legendary Member
    Jan 7, 2020
    I’m just using logic and common sense.

- It’s a bank holiday
    - people who did the VI as recently as last Friday have had offers
    - the ACs start on Tuesday
    - the email doesn’t commit to letting you know if you have been unsuccessful by the 8th
    - they sent out a holding email before when the timescale for responses was going to change, so the implication is that they have let successful people know (the evidence supports this)

I find that approach helpful in this situation but appreciate others may not.

If I’m wrong then I’ll donate £50 to charity by way of an apology.

Last edited:

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    I’m just using logic and common sense.

- It’s a bank holiday
    - people who did the VI as recently as last Friday have had offers
    - the ACs start on Tuesday
    - the email doesn’t commit to letting you know if you have been unsuccessful by the 8th
    - they sent out a holding email before when the timescale for responses was going to change, so the implication is that they have let successful people know (the evidence supports this)

I find that approach helpful in this situation but appreciate others may not.

If I’m wrong then I’ll donate £50 to charity by way of an apology.

ahh well this is very discouraging

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    I did call grad rec yesterday and she told me that it would take another 3 days before I heard anything back. But I agree with Changes that it doesn't look good, that said lets just keep marching forward to the next application.

this is so weird why not just them say if you haven’t heard anything then your rejected why make people wait and wait and if she said it’d take another three days that would make no sense since they already said we’d need to hear by Friday

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    I did call grad rec yesterday and she told me that it would take another 3 days before I heard anything back. But I agree with Changes that it doesn't look good, that said lets just keep marching forward to the next application.
    Was it a general statement saying they are using another 3 days to get back to candidates? That's odd considering their email regarding the 8th.

Moon

Star Member
    Nov 6, 2019
    this is so weird why not just them say if you haven’t heard anything then your rejected why make people wait and wait and if she said it’d take another three days that would make no sense since they already said we’d need to hear by Friday

Honestly, I was pressuring her to just tell me I got rejected but she kept saying that they are still reviewing. I rather them shoot me quickly then pluck each hair strand off my head.

Reactions: hopelesscaseofwhat

E.A

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 11, 2019
    Or they might be working who knows, I got the option to work today and take another day off instead. Whatever it is, it is outside our control haha.

Reactions: LS12

gg999

Star Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    I know those that have not already heard back yet must be super anxious but all this speculation about rejection is not doing yourselves or any others any good. As someone has rightfully mentioned above, it is not a rejection until it is a rejection.

These are unprecedented times, I am sure grad rec are working as hard as possible to review the VIs and will get back to you as soon as possible. Grad rec mentioned that the amount of applications they have received were record numbers this year. In addition, they are also having to deal with a variety of other issues such as the SQE, current trainees intakes and anxious future trainee offer holders.

Refreshing your emails is probably not the best thing to be doing. I understand the frustration and anxiety, believe me I think we have all been there. The best thing to do is to busy yourself with other things, whether that be getting on with uni work, working on other applications or taking a well deserved break.

You have all done so amazing to get to the VI interview stage, whatever the outcome is will be. There is nothing more you can to influence that decision.

Good luck, hopefully you all hear back soon :)

Jason S

Distinguished Member
    Apr 3, 2020
    I don’t really understand the dislikes for a bit of realism and common sense.

Best of luck with your career in law if you can’t handle that.

It’s fair enough that people are extremely anxious to know their results, and nobody wants to hear from someone else that it’s a rejection when there has been no official word.

But yes, this anxiety is nothing compared to a career in law. 12 hour working days, no social life, high stress environment etc etc

Reactions: Changes

thecorporatelawyer

Legendary Member
    Apr 14, 2020
    I don’t really understand the dislikes for a bit of realism and common sense.

Best of luck with your career in law if you can’t handle that.

Fair enough but saying that to people who are probably already extremely anxious probably isn’t a good move, plus I feel like these forums are supposed to be uplifting and motivating because we all need that, and sometimes your energy on these forums is not the best, especially during these already difficult times

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.