disappointed and lost

futuretrainee2024

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 2, 2022
    Don't worry too much! If you've got extenuating circumstances, firms understand that. There are other factors that can help you get a TC like work experience, extra-curricular activities etc

Most importantly, your status as an immigrant cannot be viewed unfavourably. If you're from a non-English speaking country then you can leverage your language skills!

Best of luck :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hello Everyone,
    Just graduated from one of the Russell group university with no so great result just a pass class in my masters degree I am so worried about losing opportunity and not able to land a job since I am an immigrant . Getting all sort of anxiety and panic.
    Hey @random girl 12,

I am so sorry you feel this way but as an international student myself who undertook a master last year in London I can tell you that regardless of what you got during your degree, what really matter is your undergraduate degree grades, so as long as that is sufficient, you should not worry about the impact that getting a pass will have, cause I am sure you have amazing experiences to compensate.

I understand your anxiety and I know that the new UK immigration rules are definitely scaring so many international students but you really need to have faith in yourself and in your achievements and experiences. Applying to law firms is much more than just having good grades, it is about showing the graduate recruitment panel that you are able to understand how to leverage your experiences and make them valuable to the law firm you are applying to and to the role of a trainee solicitor.

When I was applying last year, nobody asked me about my grades ever, and they certainly did not ask me about my master's degree grades. I understand it is easier said than done but I can assure you that your grades should deter you from pursuing your goals of becoming a lawyer. Given your circumstances, it just means that you will have to be more strategic with the firms you are applying to and there is nothing wrong with that, it will only increase your chances of success.

I really hope you can find strength in yourself and in your strengths (which, as an international student, I know you definitely have), leverage what makes you different and diverse, and use that to appeal to law firms and convince them that you are worth taking a chance over.

Best of luck with everything!

Reactions: Mervat and Jaysen

josephpayne

Standard Member
    Nov 28, 2023
    Hello,

It's completely normal to feel anxious about your job prospects after graduating. Many factors contribute to finding a job, and your academic results are just one part of your overall profile. Don't lose hope; persistence often pays off in the job search.

Best of luck!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.