Freaking out about studying law at a non russell group uni

AnFlop

May 4, 2023
Hi everyone, I’ve been lurking on these forums for a while but have only made an account today.
I’ve struggled a lot in life with mental health and I have a chronic issue (diagnosed). I will graduate with a BA Law degree in July from literally one of the bottom 10 uni’s in the UK and I won’t even mention my grades prior to uni lol. I have years of legal experience (voluntary and paid) and an upcoming legal internship at a F500 UK company.
I’ve not even bothered to apply for VS or TC because all I have learnt is that if you don’t go to RG uni there is no point. I want to apply for paralegal jobs after but I am just quite scared as I feel my academics really drag me down. I was wondering if working as a paralegal in a firm can help with getting a training contract?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Working as a paralegal can often lead to a training contract, particularly for smaller firms.

There are enough people who have studied at lower ranked universities you do make it though.

In my time, I have recruited from:

University of Sussex
Aston University, Birmingham
University of East Anglia UEA
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Keele University
University of Lincoln
Nottingham Trent University
University of Reading
City, University of London
University of Essex
University of Dundee
University of Greenwich
University of Hertfordshire
Liverpool Hope University
Kingston University
University of Westminster, London
Bournemouth University
Brunel University London
University of Bedfordshire
Staffordshire University
Middlesex University
Royal Holloway, University of Londo...
University of Northampton

AnFlop

May 4, 2023
Working as a paralegal can often lead to a training contract, particularly for smaller firms.

There are enough people who have studied at lower ranked universities you do make it though.

In my time, I have recruited from:

University of Sussex
Aston University, Birmingham
University of East Anglia UEA
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Keele University
University of Lincoln
Nottingham Trent University
University of Reading
City, University of London
University of Essex
University of Dundee
University of Greenwich
University of Hertfordshire
Liverpool Hope University
Kingston University
University of Westminster, London
Bournemouth University
Brunel University London
University of Bedfordshire
Staffordshire University
Middlesex University
Royal Holloway, University of Londo...
University of Northampton
Hi, thank you for the response. Nice to speak with you, I have followed you for a while. What is your process for recruitment?

Last edited:

JohnM

Aug 15, 2023
My advice is to check with the SRA whether the work experience you've gained to date would stand in lieu of a training contract. You may yet qualify as a solicitor that way. Your uni ranking isn't the be all and end all at all, and in fact, what you have done and can do on the job is what an employer will find most reassuring by far and away.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.