General Discussion Thread 2020-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryingoverTCs

Legendary Member
  • Mar 1, 2020
    I have been asked to send a headshot prior to a video interview, but I don't really have a actual professional one - on my LinkedIn, I have one of me with some unfocused leaves in the background - do you think this is fine?

LEL

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jul 22, 2020
    I have been asked to send a headshot prior to a video interview, but I don't really have a actual professional one - on my LinkedIn, I have one of me with some unfocused leaves in the background - do you think this is fine?
    Since they specified headshot, I would assume they meant with a professional background. There are lots of editing apps which whiten backgrounds e.g. AirBrush, PicsArt, you could try? Might be worth a shot

• ℹ️
    Reactions: cryingoverTCs

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

It doesn't need to be a professional one. You could edit a photo you already have or just take a good selfie and send that.

• ℹ️

Naomi U

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    Dec 8, 2019
    Hiya,

I think anything with a clear background would be fine even if it's just you standing in front of wall. It's usually just to go next to your name on a file, so you just want something that's clear and simple ideally ☺️

• ℹ️

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Generally, whatever you'd use for LinkedIn will be okay here. All I did for my profile picture (the one I use here) was chuck a shirt on and have my fiancee photograph me against a wall in the house. 5 minutes of editing on my phone and a black and grey filter hides 99% of the issues and works absolutely fine.

• ℹ️

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If a firm asks for any deal they've done which has interested you, is that only limited to transactions? Or can it be advisory/litigious?
    If a live interview question, I would reply back with this question to try and get clarity on whether you can or not.

Reactions: LEL

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    If a firm asks for any deal they've done which has interested you, is that only limited to transactions? Or can it be advisory/litigious?
    Have an example or two for each up your sleeve and ask the interviewer what they want - you might also wish to tailor it depending on what department the interviewer works in :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Have an example or two for each up your sleeve and ask the interviewer what they want - you might also wish to tailor it depending on what department the interviewer works in :)
    I actually advise against this. Don’t try and tailor your answers to your interviewer. The interview isn’t about them, not you and you shouldn’t be forcing answers just because someone works in that area. Can make you come across are less genuine.

Reactions: Jacob Miller

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    I actually advise against this. Don’t try and tailor your answers to your interviewer. The interview isn’t about them, not you and you shouldn’t be forcing answers just because someone works in that area. Can make you come across are less genuine.
    Fair 🙂

It's the approach I took and I tended to find it was well-received. More than one way to skin a cat, though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Fair 🙂

It's the approach I took and I tended to find it was well-received. More than one way to skin a cat, though.
    I suspect it’s fine if you have a genuine interest in the area they are in but it’s risky on a number of levels otherwise. That risk will pay of for some though.

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Hey - do you have any advice/pointers for beginners?

Haha plenty to learn from here! Youtube videos on understanding market fundamentals are a way to start. Download a paper trading account (trading fake money) and trade with low risk. I trade crypto, so you could start by seeing the different alt coins (the DeFI infrastructure for instance) and see how they work!

Jony

Legendary Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Oct 19, 2020
    Just a question - does anyone have a compiled resource that shows when TCs are open for application? Am working on Baker now and I want to check other firms! (could do it manually, but wondering if there are any resources)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am strangely getting several messages of late from people who are telling me there are errors on their application forms because the system is auto-filling entries for them, especially if they are using a friends laptop.

These errors tend to be pretty major ones - completely auto filling someone’s academic profile, so schools or universities attended are completely different, and in some cases even module results are basically the friends profile rather than the candidates.

For this to be happening enough for multiple people to message me about it in the last couple of weeks, suggests a few things:

1) if you are using another device that is not yours, be really careful things are not autofilling

2) It is vital you check every detail of your application. Don’t just proof read your written answers, you have the responsibility to check every little detail. Names, dates, grades etc.

3) These mistakes only cause stress later down the line. You have to go through a process of correcting yourself and then you get super anxious about how your oversight will be viewed by the firm. To save yourself from that stress, ensure you invest the time in fully reviewing the application.

Tess72

Standard Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 8, 2020
    Just a question - does anyone have a compiled resource that shows when TCs are open for application? Am working on Baker now and I want to check other firms! (could do it manually, but wondering if there are any resources)
    https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/training-contract-deadlines presume you have seen the list of deadlines already. You could use that to help you work them out, there tend to be groups of firms with the same opening dates. In addition make sure you apply to the rolling ones early, in contrast a few firms ask you to apply later if necessary to ensure all relevant work experience is included in your application.

bibss

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 28, 2020
    @Jaysen
    Apologies if this is a stupid question in any way.

I am a Bronze member and, if I understand it correctly, I don't have access to the application review service. My question is: is it still possible for me to get applications reviewed, maybe by paying an extra each time I use the service? Or do I need to upgrade to silver?

Thank you

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.