Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

alohalo

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Hi, I got a summer vacation scheme at a firm. There are three schemes available and I can only make the very last scheme - would that affect my chances of getting a TC? There is a very limited number of places available because it's a US firm.

Catherine

Distinguished Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi, I got a summer vacation scheme at a firm. There are three schemes available and I can only make the very last scheme - would that affect my chances of getting a TC? There is a very limited number of places available because it's a US firm.

It shouldn't really make a difference, unless they have said that they prioritise applicants on earlier schemes (which I very much doubt).

On the one hand they might give away more places on earlier schemes and then have fewer places to fill in last scheme, but on the other hand they might not be as impressed with the first group of candidates and wait to give out offers to later vacation schemers. Either way, if you are really good you will stand out in both situations!

KC

Future Trainee
Jan 30, 2019
Hello guys. I just accepted a TC from Links. It still feels unreal. This was my first AC and I was lucky enough to get the offer. I never thought that I would be able to make it when I was filling the applications form in the winter. I really didn't expect anything as I have received countless rejections for first-year schemes, and I don't think there's anything special in me. So when I received my AC invite, I believed it was just luck and I would almost defo screw up because it just seems so hard and I don't believe in myself. But anyway, I didn't give up and I did my best to prep for it. After I walked out of the interview room that day, I honestly thought it exploded and that was the end. But I guess miracles do happen, and all the hard work does pay off.

So guys, remember, never give up! During the process, don't worry too much about whether you will get good results. We all fail but we learn and reflect. That's how we improve. Just keep working and focusing on what you are doing. Hang in there and you never know what's going to happen!

Lastly, I just want to say a massive thank you to Jaysen, and I don't think it will be possible with him :)

All the best.

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
Hello guys. I just accepted a TC from Links. It still feels unreal. This was my first AC and I was lucky enough to get the offer. I never thought that I would be able to make it when I was filling the applications form in the winter. I really didn't expect anything as I have received countless rejections for first-year schemes, and I don't think there's anything special in me. So when I received my AC invite, I believed it was just luck and I would almost defo screw up because it just seems so hard and I don't believe in myself. But anyway, I didn't give up and I did my best to prep for it. After I walked out of the interview room that day, I honestly thought it exploded and that was the end. But I guess miracles do happen, and all the hard work does pay off.

So guys, remember, never give up! During the process, don't worry too much about whether you will get good results. We all fail but we learn and reflect. That's how we improve. Just keep working and focusing on what you are doing. Hang in there and you never know what's going to happen!

Lastly, I just want to say a massive thank you to Jaysen, and I don't think it will be possible with him :)

All the best.

So glad to hear such excellent news @KC, congratulations once again :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Had a really frustrating call with Jones Day grad recruitment. I explained to them that the summer scheme that they had offered me clashed with another scheme that I had already accepted, but I was clear that I was quite committed to pursuing a career with Jones Day and asked about being transferred onto the Spring scheme. They said that they would not be able transfer me onto the spring scheme as it was oversubscribed, which I can understand. What I found very frustrating was that they said that if I didn't accept the offer now they would not consider my application next year. Is this standard practice ? Apart from defaulting on my contract with the other firm what choice do I have, and is this an option ? Like, I feel that I would prefer JD over the other firm, but I just wouldn't feel right rejecting them just after I accepted my offer. Advice would be welcome...I only have until Friday to make a decision.

Hi Shane,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having an issue with this and I know it’s a difficult position to be in. It seems to me that unfortunately there are really just two options- stick with the one you’ve accepted or revoke your acceptance and take Jones Day. You won’t want to burn bridges with the first firm and I appreciate that but this is your life and your career and you need to do what’s right for you. If you are absolutely certain that your head and heart are with Jones Day then I think you should call the first firm and explain the circumstances. I’d be aware though that you probably won’t be likely to pursue anything with them in the future, that’s just my gut feeling on that but their policy might be forgiving! I think the sooner you get back to Jones Day to inform them of the actions taken and you absolutely wish to accept the better as well because you don’t want any hesitation to be remembered when you’re assessed for a TC :) these are just my thoughts on the matter but you really need to be sure that Jones Day is the one for you because that is what this needs to boil down to, like I say, it’s your career at the end of the day!! :)

alohalo

Star Member
Feb 19, 2019
Does anyone know of deferring vac schemes due to health reasons? I have had a lot of mental health issues in the past - at the interview, I was in a good state and told them I was doing well again. But recently my health has declined. Do you think they would retract my vac scheme offer?

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Does anyone know of deferring vac schemes due to health reasons? I have had a lot of mental health issues in the past - at the interview, I was in a good state and told them I was doing well again. But recently my health has declined. Do you think they would retract my vac scheme offer?
Firstly, I am sorry to hear you are not feeling right. Law firms recognise the importance of tackling mental health issues and should be receptive to your situation. However, I have no firsthand experience of a firm's policy on deferring a VS. What is important is that you ask to speak to someone in Grad Recruitment so that you can be open and honest with them about your current health and discuss with them any possible strategies for moving forward. I thought you would like to see this link from Thomson Reuters on the subject and how some law firms are supporting their staff. https://blogs.thomsonreuters.com/le...o-new-working-practices-to-support-employees/
All the best.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
I interviewed with them last week (quite a tight turnaround, only received an email about it exactly a week before) and someone I know had theirs on Thursday so I would assume it's ongoing! Haven't heard back from them yet since though.

I have sent you a PM re GD if you get a chance to get back to me I would be so grateful. Thank you

Elizabeth@1999

Feb 6, 2019
Hey, just wanted some advice as feeling very low about the whole law thing! Thanks so much for everyone on this community, who have been sooo nice and supportive.

I have had 2 ACs this year for vac schemes and have been rejected after both, for completely different reasons. First one was the written exercise and the case study interview, but I was told the group exercise was really good and the competency interview was good too. Now, the second one has said my group exercise and competency interview let me down, and case study interview was really good? Everything else I was just rejected at the form stage- managed to pass all the WG tests I did etc. so it was all on what I wrote.

Just feeling so disheartened with the whole thing as I've spent so much time this year juggling and sometimes even sacrificing my uni work with/for law applications and now I've been rejected from everything I've applied for and won't be getting anything this year. I just feel like I've put all my eggs in one basket and don't have the contacts to get any other work experience in anything commercial or law based this summer. So next year when I apply, I'll still have next to no experience, which might look bad for a third year...

Does anyone have any tips for not just giving up on the whole law thing? Just feel like I've wasted so much time and don't even have anything coherent to work on for next year as I was rejected for completely different reasons from both? Know you have to be resilient and all that but it is depressing when the rejections just roll in haha.

Anyway, has anyone got any tips for finding something else that might be useful for the summer? Or just for not being so disillusioned with the whole process? Anyone in the same boat?

Maddie R

Esteemed Member
Jan 10, 2019
Just received a Skadden 'rejection'? I applied for the VS when they extended the deadline on the website and this is the email I have received:

Thank you for your recent application for a vacation placement at Skadden. The deadline for applications was 12th January 2019 and I regret to inform you as we received your application after the closing date, we are unable to progress with your application.

I'm confused - why were the applications still open if the deadline had passed? Would it be a good idea to ask to be considered for a direct TC now?

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Hey, just wanted some advice as feeling very low about the whole law thing! Thanks so much for everyone on this community, who have been sooo nice and supportive.

I have had 2 ACs this year for vac schemes and have been rejected after both, for completely different reasons. First one was the written exercise and the case study interview, but I was told the group exercise was really good and the competency interview was good too. Now, the second one has said my group exercise and competency interview let me down, and case study interview was really good? Everything else I was just rejected at the form stage- managed to pass all the WG tests I did etc. so it was all on what I wrote.

Just feeling so disheartened with the whole thing as I've spent so much time this year juggling and sometimes even sacrificing my uni work with/for law applications and now I've been rejected from everything I've applied for and won't be getting anything this year. I just feel like I've put all my eggs in one basket and don't have the contacts to get any other work experience in anything commercial or law based this summer. So next year when I apply, I'll still have next to no experience, which might look bad for a third year...

Does anyone have any tips for not just giving up on the whole law thing? Just feel like I've wasted so much time and don't even have anything coherent to work on for next year as I was rejected for completely different reasons from both? Know you have to be resilient and all that but it is depressing when the rejections just roll in haha.

Anyway, has anyone got any tips for finding something else that might be useful for the summer? Or just for not being so disillusioned with the whole process? Anyone in the same boat?

Hi Elizabeth. Believe me you are nowhere near being alone. Sometimes at ACs there is nothing wrong with how you performed and ultimately the firm can only take so many. Therefore for the feedback they hone in on something that maybe wasn't quite there. You probably did very little wrong. I say this with some experience. 5 ACs for me and not one has resulted in a VS. I understand how you feel. So how do I know it's not me? Well I don't, but what I do know is that for a couple of firms I had exactly the same feedback as you - interview great, case study not so great, and then vice versa with another firm. This makes no sense to me as the feedback I received I then implemented for the next AC and still it was not right. Two firms out of 5 gave no feedback whatsoever and one I am still waiting for and have given up chasing.

The reality is that you made it to two ACs so you are clearly doing something very right with your applications. Take a step back now and don't beat yourself up because you did well to get that far. You can do any work this summer to be honest. Retail or hospitality is always good as that gives you insight into the way a business operates and they are client-facing roles. Perhaps alongside a temporary job (I was temping last summer in a regional accountancy firm and, as I was willing to do anything, the partners asked me to help organise a tax seminar and let me attend - all good for your CV), you could attend some cases in your local court. Or if you happen to be in London you can go to to the Commercial Courts at the Rolls Royce Buildings and listen to some cases. It's never wasted.

Any work you do will be worthwhile. You can also see if you can do some pro bono at your university in Sept if you have not yet graduated as often the applications for such work need to be in by the summer term. Another string to your bow - I did this in my final year and it is doable - you need to be disciplined but all the drafting and researching ultimately helped me in my degree.
More than anything don't give up. I know exactly how you feel and the system is tough but believe in yourself. Most people on TCLA have secured their TCs after more than two years of applying. I am holding on to that too.
Keep positive.

Helena

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Feb 28, 2018
Just received a Skadden 'rejection'? I applied for the VS when they extended the deadline on the website and this is the email I have received:

Thank you for your recent application for a vacation placement at Skadden. The deadline for applications was 12th January 2019 and I regret to inform you as we received your application after the closing date, we are unable to progress with your application.

I'm confused - why were the applications still open if the deadline had passed? Would it be a good idea to ask to be considered for a direct TC now?
You could try but I did an AC with them - there were 4 over 4 days back in early Feb and I believe they recruit solely from the VS. I think that amended closing date was an error to be honest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddie R

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi Elizabeth. Believe me you are nowhere near being alone. Sometimes at ACs there is nothing wrong with how you performed and ultimately the firm can only take so many. Therefore for the feedback they hone in on something that maybe wasn't quite there. You probably did very little wrong. I say this with some experience. 5 ACs for me and not one has resulted in a VS. I understand how you feel. So how do I know it's not me? Well I don't, but what I do know is that for a couple of firms I had exactly the same feedback as you - interview great, case study not so great, and then vice versa with another firm. This makes no sense to me as the feedback I received I then implemented for the next AC and still it was not right. Two firms out of 5 gave no feedback whatsoever and one I am still waiting for and have given up chasing.

The reality is that you made it to two ACs so you are clearly doing something very right with your applications. Take a step back now and don't beat yourself up because you did well to get that far. You can do any work this summer to be honest. Retail or hospitality is always good as that gives you insight into the way a business operates and they are client-facing roles. Perhaps alongside a temporary job (I was temping last summer in a regional accountancy firm and, as I was willing to do anything, the partners asked me to help organise a tax seminar and let me attend - all good for your CV), you could attend some cases in your local court. Or if you happen to be in London you can go to to the Commercial Courts at the Rolls Royce Buildings and listen to some cases. It's never wasted.

Any work you do will be worthwhile. You can also see if you can do some pro bono at your university in Sept if you have not yet graduated as often the applications for such work need to be in by the summer term. Another string to your bow - I did this in my final year and it is doable - you need to be disciplined but all the drafting and researching ultimately helped me in my degree.
    More than anything don't give up. I know exactly how you feel and the system is tough but believe in yourself. Most people on TCLA have secured their TCs after more than two years of applying. I am holding on to that too.
    Keep positive.

Excellent advice!

Elizabeth@1999

Feb 6, 2019

Keep positive.

Thank you so much! This actually makes me feel so much better and is such good advice! Will just try my best to do something that will be useful this summer and then make it relevant to my applications next year.

So good to know that other people are in the same boat and I'm sure something will come along in the end for us. Definitely gonna give pro bono a go as well as that sounds really good. Thank you so much and good luck!

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018

Keep positive.

Excellent advice!

Yes, @Helena couldn’t have put it better myself. I promise the struggle will be worth it!!! Just keep going and persevering, which I know is easier said than done.

I’ve found it’s made me more accepting and willing to put in the hours required as a trainee. I know how hard I’ve hard to work to get here, that it’s where I want to be and what I want to be doing.

Didi

Oct 31, 2018
    Yes, @Helena couldn’t have put it better myself. I promise the struggle will be worth it!!! Just keep going and persevering, which I know is easier said than done.

I’ve found it’s made me more accepting and willing to put in the hours required as a trainee. I know how hard I’ve hard to work to get here, that it’s where I want to be and what I want to be doing.

Yes to everything that has been said! I definitely had my moment last week after my Dec/Jan round of applications came in with only one AC and a rejection. I think it's important to let yourself have these moments because it is disheartening after the amount of work it takes to make it to two ACs!! But don't let yourself be stuck in that mentality! I know it sounds cheesy but I cannot reiterate how many current trainees have told me this - it only takes one firm and one offer!
    With regards to seeking legal work experience. I was also again similar to your position in my second year and I went to o a Career advisor at my uni (and all around saint of a human) and we sat down and went to the Law Society Website for my city and basically went through high street law firms. He helped me to draft a quick email asking for a week of shadowing or a few days of work over the summer. This might seem daunting but if you have the whole summer free you could look into it.

Legal work experience also does not have to be the standard like Helena was speaking about, volunteering at your local Citizens Advice or any sort of legal advice clinic in your area would be a great idea. Also pro bono looks great on applications and is something you can speak about at interview.

It may seem weird at first but reach out to people on Linked In. I have found that more often than not people are willing to offer assistance to students.

Lastly, the best advice I have received this past application round is to make use of your network. Obviously, TCLA is great but even people you have met at events or the AC can be useful tools! Send me a pm if you want and I can try and help in anyway possible! :)

ELA

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jan 20, 2019
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm quite new to the application process. How long does it take on average to hear back post application? Does it just completely vary?
    I'm wondering whether to ask for an update on my application with a firm because it has been five weeks, but am I just being impatient?

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm quite new to the application process. How long does it take on average to hear back post application? Does it just completely vary?
    I'm wondering whether to ask for an update on my application with a firm because it has been five weeks, but am I just being impatient?

Varies soooooo much from firm to firm. Therefore, difficult to give a timescale. Try to be patient and not worry about hearing back. Just keep firing off applications, almost trying to forget about what you submit.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.