Hearing Back from Firms + AC & Interview Tips Share - 2018 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Just been received an invitation to a Video Interview with Weil! When preparing commercial questions for these kinds of interviews, is it literally a case of preparing for a question like 'tell me about a story in the news that has interested you' or are they sometimes more specific? Any hints and tips would be much appreciated.

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
    Commercial Writer
    Sep 29, 2018
    After all that I passed the HSF test! Seems I worried over nothing/prepared well for it. Now the waiting game begins...

On that note, has anyone heard back from BCLP and/or Bird and Bird? I completed their tests well over a month ago and have not heard a thing...
    Hey @Daniel Boden, as I have to compete this online test too, I was wondering how this actually works: do they consider your application only if you pass the test? What scorse do you have to achieve? Thanks :)

Sophie Bell

Star Member
    Oct 29, 2018
    Post interview, I received the following email... "After careful consideration of your application, I regret that you have not been selected for a place on the winter placement scheme... However, we would still like to consider you for our spring and summer placement schemes and for a training contract in due course. If you no longer wish to be considered for a placement scheme or training contract please do let me know."

I'm happy that it's not a rejection but also unsure as to how hopeful I should be, any thoughts?
    Should I email and ask for clarification around the timeframe or just 'wait and see'?

Helena

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    Post interview, I received the following email... "After careful consideration of your application, I regret that you have not been selected for a place on the winter placement scheme... However, we would still like to consider you for our spring and summer placement schemes and for a training contract in due course. If you no longer wish to be considered for a placement scheme or training contract please do let me know."

I'm happy that it's not a rejection but also unsure as to how hopeful I should be, any thoughts?
    Should I email and ask for clarification around the timeframe or just 'wait and see'?
    Well done, that's excellent news - what firm is this Sophie?

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey @Daniel Boden, as I have to compete this online test too, I was wondering how this actually works: do they consider your application only if you pass the test? What scorse do you have to achieve? Thanks :)
    Nope you have to pass the test otherwise they won't consider your application! I have no idea what score you have to achieve - they don't release it. Good luck!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I would think they must have liked something so as to not reject you off the batt. Without more info, it's hard to read into whether that's anything more than just that though. When you applied, did you have the opportunity to a second preference for your scheme?

Yes, I'd say it's worth asking for a clarification around timeframe.

Last edited:

Camilla Gionso

Distinguished Member
    Commercial Writer
    Sep 29, 2018
    Just been received an invitation to a Video Interview with Weil! When preparing commercial questions for these kinds of interviews, is it literally a case of preparing for a question like 'tell me about a story in the news that has interested you' or are they sometimes more specific? Any hints and tips would be much appreciated.
    Hi @Daniel Boden (sorry me again). Is this for their summer vacation scheme? Thanks.

Sophie Bell

Star Member
    Oct 29, 2018
    I would think they must have liked something so as to not reject you off the bad. Without more info, it's hard to read into whether that's anything more than just that though. When you applied, did you have the opportunity to a second preference for your scheme?

Yes, I'd say it's worth asking for a clarification around timeframe.

From memory I don't think I had the option to choose a second preference. Ok thank you Jaysen, I will email in the morning for clarification.
    I think the hardest part is not knowing how many other candidates received a similar email, time will tell...

Reactions: Jaysen

J Wu

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    Nope you have to pass the test otherwise they won't consider your application! I have no idea what score you have to achieve - they don't release it. Good luck!

I think they do screen applications first (grad rec, then a grad rec partner) and then people who get 60th percentile and above in the WG get put through to video interview! It explains the process on their website

Mimi

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 21, 2018

I completed and passed Weil's Video Interview in the summer for their TC and got through to first-round interview.

I'm afraid I can't exactly remember the questions I was asked, however, I believe the questions were along the lines of:

i) why commercial law?
    ii) why Weil? (mentioning a recent deal that attracted you to the firm & dropping names of clients works well here)
    iii) what does private equity (PE) means to you and why it is of interest to you?
    iv) how does Weil stands out from their competitors? (worth identifying one or two competitors mainly in the PE space), and
    v) a time you've demonstrated one of their competencies. (which you can find online)

I hope this helps and good luck!

• 🏆
    Reactions: Salma, Jaysen and Naomi
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.