How to approach this aspect of a 'why us question' - Career ambitions

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
Sep 6, 2018
I was doing the Macfarlanes app and as part of the pretty standard why us question they add "Please explain why you are applying to Macfarlanes and what your career ambitions are."

What do you think this adds to the question/ how should it change the answer from the standard why us format?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I was doing the Macfarlanes app and as part of the pretty standard why us question they add "Please explain why you are applying to Macfarlanes and what your career ambitions are."

What do you think this adds to the question/ how should it change the answer from the standard why us format?

It's good you've spotted that a different approach is needed to this question -- it's often missed or muddled up.

I suggest you treat it as two questions. Answer "why Macfarlanes?" as normal and then discuss your career ambitions in a separate paragraph as a different question. You don't need to link your career ambitions to Macfarlanes.

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    It's good you've spotted that a different approach is needed to this question -- it's often missed or muddled up.

I suggest you treat it as two questions. Answer "why Macfarlanes?" as normal and then discuss your career ambitions in a separate paragraph as a different question. You don't need to link your career ambitions to Macfarlanes.

Do you interpret 'ambitions' in this context as speaking about working up the ladder so to speak ( I feel like speaking about wanting to make it to partner etc might come across badly) or more based around what you're actually looking for in a job?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Do you interpret 'ambitions' in this context as speaking about working up the ladder so to speak ( I feel like speaking about wanting to make it to partner etc might come across badly) or more based around what you're actually looking for in a job?

I'd interpret it as covering both. It should be OK to say you want to make partner (although on its own that would be boring/general).

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
    I think this question requires you to demonstrate how a career at the firm you're applying to is aligned with your personal ambition and interests.

I would recommend that you:
    1. Pick out three factors that you like most about the firm and connect that to yourself. Perhaps you are interested in working with clients from around the world? You could discuss the firm's global reach here. You can make the same connection with diversity or a specific practice here.
    2. Make sure you to focus on your personal ambitions as well. Many candidates would be interested in factors such as global reach or diversity but why does that matter to you the most?
    3. You could also highlight your ambition through a recent experience that you have had. Any form of tangible evidence (work experience, extra curricular activities or hobbies) may be relevant here.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.