Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys!

A quick explanation of what's going on on the law insights section. We were actually going to postpone our website launch until we finished this page, but it turned out to be a much bigger task than we imagined, hence the coming soon cover at the moment.

Here's the thought process behind the law insights page:
    • The most common issue I see is that students find it hard to tell the difference between law firms. I don't blame you guys, it is really difficult and that's an odd thing - I don't think you should be choosing your firms without knowing what to expect.
    • In other words, we'd rather you guys send good applications based on your genuine understanding of different law firms, rather than forcing artificial answers that sound good.
    • So, we'll be sharing our thoughts on what makes each law firm different. We'll be comparing practice area strengths, geographical spread, training and culture, innovation and technology, starting with the magic circle.
    • Hopefully, that'll also help your applications and interviews, so you can really drill down why you're applying to different law firms and tailor your answers.
    • Finally, we've been collecting interview experiences from future trainees and trainees at different law firms. So you'll also find that by each firm. The idea isn't to tell you what the interview questions are (we'll block that out), but to give you a better idea of what to expect. That way, we hope you'll feel a little less nervous and a little more prepared, so you can excel at interviews.
    I'm hoping to get the draft of the first firm done either tonight or tomorrow. I'll be posting the law firms up one by one, so keep an eye on the page! And of course, if you have any requests or comments, please let me know.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks for this J. Re the application review, how long after sending in the application do we hear back?

You're welcome! Usually one working day, but if you want to drop me a message when you send it, I can take a look immediately.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hey guys - the law insights page is up. It's still under development so I'll be updating it as I go along.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    thank you, that would be amazing - I am preparing for their TC app :)

I'll get working on it now :).

Edit: I must also say that the S&S graduate recruitment website is excellent. I've been through a lot over the past few months and it's refreshing to see one that has good content and is easy to navigate!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    P.S: If it helps in the meantime, here's a snapshot of how I answered the question of what gives Shearman & Sterling a competitive advantage in their VS app. As with the others, it's not perfect but was enough for an interview (together with the rest of the app).

Attachments

• shearman competitive advantage.png
      shearman competitive advantage.png
      110.1 KB · Views: 88
    Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
    Feb 28, 2018
    P.S: If it helps in the meantime, here's a snapshot of how I answered the question of what gives Shearman & Sterling a competitive advantage in their VS app. As with the others, it's not perfect but was enough for an interview (together with the rest of the app).

*melts in my chair*

I regret sending this application as my first... so embarrassing.. but, as always, thanks J

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Could I suggest Sullivan & Cromwell for a law firm insight? It would be really helpful as I will start my TC app for them soon :) thanks!

Hey Denisa, of course. Just a heads up, based on my capacity at the moment, I probably won't be able to start it until the following week (so don't send it off too soon :p).

How did your scheme go?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.