Macfarlanes Assessment Centre

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys,

I just wondered if anyone knew the structure of the Macfarlanes Assessment centre and how to impress? If anyone had any hints/tips for me or knows anyone who has partaken in the assessment day before, that would be much appreciated :)

Thanks a lot,
    Daniel

Ginevra Bizzarri

Star Member
    Future Trainee
    Jun 19, 2018
    Hi @Daniel Boden
    I went to an AC with Macfarlanes last year and basically the day is split up in 3 tasks.
    One of the exercise is a negotiation exercise, essentially you get split up in teams of 2 or 3, given a brief and told what party you are acting for. you will have to push for your side and come up with reasoned points purely based on what is on the brief, so no prior legal experience is needed. there will be a moderator in the room who will facilitate the discussion and ask questions.
    another exercise (the one I found hardest) was a timed exercise which involved logic and a bit of basic maths. e if i remember well we were given a list of three people working for a company, each who wanted to leave for different reasons. then we were also given a copy of the employee contracts with different clauses relating to different reasons for leaving. so we had to match up the relevant clause with the relevant employee if this makes sense? and then based on that we had to figure out how much compensation, if any, they were entitled to upon leave. (all of this based on the manner in which they left, the date, and other relevant information which was specified in the contract).
    the last exercise consisted in us getting a case study and discussing it with a partner at the firm. my chat was quite nice and was more competency as opposed to commercial focused.
    hope this helps!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi Daniel,

I've seen elsewhere that your AC is in January so I think I might be able to help you next week. I'm going to a Macfarlanes application training session with SEO London on Monday 12th (I think) and can ask about their AC there for you if you like.
    Hi Hazal, that would be amazing if you could! Thank you so much :)

Reactions: Hazal

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi @Daniel Boden
    I went to an AC with Macfarlanes last year and basically the day is split up in 3 tasks.
    One of the exercise is a negotiation exercise, essentially you get split up in teams of 2 or 3, given a brief and told what party you are acting for. you will have to push for your side and come up with reasoned points purely based on what is on the brief, so no prior legal experience is needed. there will be a moderator in the room who will facilitate the discussion and ask questions.
    another exercise (the one I found hardest) was a timed exercise which involved logic and a bit of basic maths. e if i remember well we were given a list of three people working for a company, each who wanted to leave for different reasons. then we were also given a copy of the employee contracts with different clauses relating to different reasons for leaving. so we had to match up the relevant clause with the relevant employee if this makes sense? and then based on that we had to figure out how much compensation, if any, they were entitled to upon leave. (all of this based on the manner in which they left, the date, and other relevant information which was specified in the contract).
    the last exercise consisted in us getting a case study and discussing it with a partner at the firm. my chat was quite nice and was more competency as opposed to commercial focused.
    hope this helps!
    Ginny this is great - thank you so much!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Ginevra Bizzarri

Mimi

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 21, 2018
    Hey Daniel,

I had an AC at Macfarlanes for a TC in August so it may not be 100% useful for your AC if it is for a VS, however, my AC had the following assessments:

a) Group exercise: in a group you need to pitch to Macfarlanes acting for its client, a VC firm. You only have 30 minutes to discuss in your group how to go about the business pitch. Later in the day you will have five minutes to rehearse and ten minutes to present to one partner who observes your preparation as well.

b) Written exercise: You have 45 minutes to read, plan and then write a letter and a memo. The memo is to a partner at Macfarlanes and the letter is to a customer of your client who is complaining of the service received at the client’s holiday service. Plan your time and use the highlighters provided to highlight what should be included in the letter and memo as there is a lot of information to go through in a short timeframe.

c) In-tray case study with partner interview: You have 30 minutes to read through 3 cases and answer questions on each case. You then go through these answers with one partner. They are really testing your resilience (one of their competencies). This means they will question everything you say – it’s not as much about your answer as it is your thought process and ability to stand behind your answer.

d) Application & Competencies partner interview:
    During the 45 minute partner interview, the following topics were covered:

- my application,
    - grades,
    - motivations for law and the firm,
    - competencies (e.g. teamwork & resilience),
    - recent business development/ article of interest.

Review your application including grades, if there are any lower grades be able to explain this, try turning any weakness into a strength to show what you did to improve. They will ask you for times you’ve shown a competency and will continue asking questions relating to that example, so make sure you can explain these fully.

Generally speaking, the whole day is intense and time-pressured, they want it like this so it mirrors an ordinary day of work at the firm. Therefore, I would suggest with every exercise once they tell you how long you have, take off a few minutes so that you are always able to finish. Have questions prepared which you can ask the partners (for the application interview), and grad recruitment and trainees too as there is a seated lunch once the assessments are completed.

I hope this helps!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey Daniel,

I had an AC at Macfarlanes for a TC in August so it may not be 100% useful for your AC if it is for a VS, however, my AC had the following assessments:

a) Group exercise: in a group you need to pitch to Macfarlanes acting for its client, a VC firm. You only have 30 minutes to discuss in your group how to go about the business pitch. Later in the day you will have five minutes to rehearse and ten minutes to present to one partner who observes your preparation as well.

b) Written exercise: You have 45 minutes to read, plan and then write a letter and a memo. The memo is to a partner at Macfarlanes and the letter is to a customer of your client who is complaining of the service received at the client’s holiday service. Plan your time and use the highlighters provided to highlight what should be included in the letter and memo as there is a lot of information to go through in a short timeframe.

c) In-tray case study with partner interview: You have 30 minutes to read through 3 cases and answer questions on each case. You then go through these answers with one partner. They are really testing your resilience (one of their competencies). This means they will question everything you say – it’s not as much about your answer as it is your thought process and ability to stand behind your answer.

d) Application & Competencies partner interview:
    During the 45 minute partner interview, the following topics were covered:

- my application,
    - grades,
    - motivations for law and the firm,
    - competencies (e.g. teamwork & resilience),
    - recent business development/ article of interest.

Review your application including grades, if there are any lower grades be able to explain this, try turning any weakness into a strength to show what you did to improve. They will ask you for times you’ve shown a competency and will continue asking questions relating to that example, so make sure you can explain these fully.

Generally speaking, the whole day is intense and time-pressured, they want it like this so it mirrors an ordinary day of work at the firm. Therefore, I would suggest with every exercise once they tell you how long you have, take off a few minutes so that you are always able to finish. Have questions prepared which you can ask the partners (for the application interview), and grad recruitment and trainees too as there is a seated lunch once the assessments are completed.

I hope this helps!
    Thanks a lot Mimi! This is super helpful :)

Hazal

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hey Daniel,

So some pointers I picked up by attending this training session:
    • The negotiation exercise is usually a sponsorship deal
    • They assess you on your contribution but also how you react to your team members. Are you supportive if they have forgotten their point/are being brutally questioned by the other side and do you bring in quieter members of the group if they are struggling?
    • Come to a consensus with your team together and consider multiple opinions
    • To echo the above, it's not about prior legal knowledge but knowing what is usually involved in this kind of deal might be really helpful, as it was for me
    • You can show your commercial knowledge in the negotiation by mentioning the value of the deal in brand/reputation terms
    • For the partner interviews, your opinion might be pushed at times. Unless the partner proves you're wrong, this is usually an opportunity for you to hold your ground and show your potential as a future lawyer
    • Written exercise suggested to be the hardest because of time constraints
    Not the most detailed response, granted, but if you have any questions about the negotiation in particular or anything I picked up from the firm (tbh you probably know way more than me), drop me a message :)

• ℹ️
    • 🏆
    Reactions: LegalUser, Daniel Boden and Jaysen

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hey Daniel,

So some pointers I picked up by attending this training session:
    • The negotiation exercise is usually a sponsorship deal
    • They assess you on your contribution but also how you react to your team members. Are you supportive if they have forgotten their point/are being brutally questioned by the other side and do you bring in quieter members of the group if they are struggling?
    • Come to a consensus with your team together and consider multiple opinions
    • To echo the above, it's not about prior legal knowledge but knowing what is usually involved in this kind of deal might be really helpful, as it was for me
    • You can show your commercial knowledge in the negotiation by mentioning the value of the deal in brand/reputation terms
    • For the partner interviews, your opinion might be pushed at times. Unless the partner proves you're wrong, this is usually an opportunity for you to hold your ground and show your potential as a future lawyer
    • Written exercise suggested to be the hardest because of time constraints
    Not the most detailed response, granted, but if you have any questions about the negotiation in particular or anything I picked up from the firm (tbh you probably know way more than me), drop me a message :)
    Thanks a lot Hazal!

Reactions: Hazal

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Saw the below headline today in The Lawyer @Jaysen I'm not sure if you would be able to copy and paste the article into this thread so I and others can view it (I'm assuming, because of your law firm insights which refer to The Lawyer, that you have a subscription to the magazine?) - I think it would be useful and something perhaps to talk about at an upcoming AC.

Macfarlanes introduces “radically different” work allocation system

Thanks,
    Dan

Last edited:
    Reactions: Salma

AJ

Legendary Member
    Sep 11, 2018
    I'm not @Jaysen, but here you go @Daniel Boden - the text of the article:

Macfarlanes has overhauled its processes surrounding work allocation after lawyers informed management that the issue should be high up on the firm’s list of priorities.

While firms such as Ashurst and CMS brought in external consultants to kickstart allocation pilot schemes, Macfarlanes is keeping it simple by appointing individual partners within individual practice areas to be in charge of workflow.

Prior to the move, all partners within Macfarlanes were allowed to distribute work, which was subject to a workload monitoring system. Senior partner Charles Martin explained to The Lawyer: “It was pretty informal and haphazard, because you could work on whatever came through the door. It was clearly not the system that could be used as a way to overcome fairness.”

The change follows a firmwide assessment of the firm’s culture and what improvements could be made to tackle Macfarlanes’ poor diversity metrics and gender pay gap.

Commenting on a “radically different” way for doing things for Macfarlanes, Martin said: “We want to ensure everyone gets given the work so they show what they can do. That’s not just a gender issue, it’s a general issue in that some people don’t get their share of exciting work.”

“A lot of the steps you need to take are baby steps. And it’s those steps we can take over a period of time that have a big impact.”

While much of the work that the larger firms have been doing in this space have been about shoring up processes, the smaller Macfarlanes is allowing each practice area to decide how best to tackle the issue.

As a result, not all groups are following the same route, although Martin claimed the firm’s senior leadership team will be monitoring the effects of the change to ensure the measures are working. The private client team one of the few in the firm to be ahead of the curve in terms of fairness in allocation, so they will continue to talk about workloads as a group. In comparison, the corporate department is leading the move towards centralised workload management. One senior partner in corporate, chosen for “impartiality”, has been put in charge of allocating work to fee-earners.

Alongside the changes in work allocation, Macfarlanes has also introduced a series of new schemes, akin to Slaughter and May’s overhaul of its benefits in 2016.

This includes providing a “Macsvac” to staff that have been with the business for four years. The firm will be offering a break of two weeks to non-lawyers that apply, with the firm’s new HR head Hilary Maurice claiming there is already a backlog of requests following the introduction of the scheme over the summer.

At the start of the month, Macfarlanes become the second law firm to release its most recent set of gender pay gap figures in which it was revealed that the average income of a male partner at Macfarlanes is 55 per cent more than the pay of their female counterparts. One of the reasons behind Macfarlanes’ larger pay gap in its partnership is a lack of diversity in its senior ranks. According to The Lawyer UK200, Macfarlanes’ proportion of female partners was the 187th lowest in the rankings. Women account for 14 per cent of members, compared to 20 per cent at Allen & Overy.

There was also a pay gap in the associate ranks of 4 per cent, which the firm largely attributed to the introduction of an additional bonus scheme in July 2017 to remunerate solicitors for exceptional performance. A larger proportion of men went on to gain a reward because more went on secondments and gained an additional bonus.

Maurice confirmed that this process was under review for the 2017/18 financial year. She said: “If an associate has a relationship with a client, then it’s easier to send someone who already knows them.”

“Now we’re thinking about a wider range of people who can go on secondment rather than the first person who comes to mind. We may get the same result, but at least that will be inclusive and broaden the discussion.”

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    I'm not @Jaysen, but here you go @Daniel Boden - the text of the article:

Macfarlanes has overhauled its processes surrounding work allocation after lawyers informed management that the issue should be high up on the firm’s list of priorities.

While firms such as Ashurst and CMS brought in external consultants to kickstart allocation pilot schemes, Macfarlanes is keeping it simple by appointing individual partners within individual practice areas to be in charge of workflow.

Prior to the move, all partners within Macfarlanes were allowed to distribute work, which was subject to a workload monitoring system. Senior partner Charles Martin explained to The Lawyer: “It was pretty informal and haphazard, because you could work on whatever came through the door. It was clearly not the system that could be used as a way to overcome fairness.”

The change follows a firmwide assessment of the firm’s culture and what improvements could be made to tackle Macfarlanes’ poor diversity metrics and gender pay gap.

Commenting on a “radically different” way for doing things for Macfarlanes, Martin said: “We want to ensure everyone gets given the work so they show what they can do. That’s not just a gender issue, it’s a general issue in that some people don’t get their share of exciting work.”

“A lot of the steps you need to take are baby steps. And it’s those steps we can take over a period of time that have a big impact.”

While much of the work that the larger firms have been doing in this space have been about shoring up processes, the smaller Macfarlanes is allowing each practice area to decide how best to tackle the issue.

As a result, not all groups are following the same route, although Martin claimed the firm’s senior leadership team will be monitoring the effects of the change to ensure the measures are working. The private client team one of the few in the firm to be ahead of the curve in terms of fairness in allocation, so they will continue to talk about workloads as a group. In comparison, the corporate department is leading the move towards centralised workload management. One senior partner in corporate, chosen for “impartiality”, has been put in charge of allocating work to fee-earners.

Alongside the changes in work allocation, Macfarlanes has also introduced a series of new schemes, akin to Slaughter and May’s overhaul of its benefits in 2016.

This includes providing a “Macsvac” to staff that have been with the business for four years. The firm will be offering a break of two weeks to non-lawyers that apply, with the firm’s new HR head Hilary Maurice claiming there is already a backlog of requests following the introduction of the scheme over the summer.

At the start of the month, Macfarlanes become the second law firm to release its most recent set of gender pay gap figures in which it was revealed that the average income of a male partner at Macfarlanes is 55 per cent more than the pay of their female counterparts. One of the reasons behind Macfarlanes’ larger pay gap in its partnership is a lack of diversity in its senior ranks. According to The Lawyer UK200, Macfarlanes’ proportion of female partners was the 187th lowest in the rankings. Women account for 14 per cent of members, compared to 20 per cent at Allen & Overy.

There was also a pay gap in the associate ranks of 4 per cent, which the firm largely attributed to the introduction of an additional bonus scheme in July 2017 to remunerate solicitors for exceptional performance. A larger proportion of men went on to gain a reward because more went on secondments and gained an additional bonus.

Maurice confirmed that this process was under review for the 2017/18 financial year. She said: “If an associate has a relationship with a client, then it’s easier to send someone who already knows them.”

“Now we’re thinking about a wider range of people who can go on secondment rather than the first person who comes to mind. We may get the same result, but at least that will be inclusive and broaden the discussion.”

Legend - thanks AJ!

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    EDIT: Figured I'd also post this here so that is easier for people to find at a later date

So guys just had my feedback call with Macfarlanes which was actually more positive than I thought it was going to be. So the day is structured in three parts, which is how they decided to give me the feedback so I'll briefly share what they're looking for in each section. I'd imagine the competencies are the same for firms who have similar application processes, so I hope this is useful to people!

Negotiation

- Competencies they are looking for are: commercial thinking, communication skills and teamwork
    - Try and come up with the points first rather than letting your teammate start and then developing that point based on what he/she has said. A fairly minor point and can be quite difficult if your teammate is quite a dominant personality but obviously try and speak as much as you can, but without talking over him/her!
    - It goes without saying but they are looking for you to build a rapport with your teammates and work well together, as well as being a clear and concise communicator.

Written exercise

- Interestingly, this was my strongest exercise of the day so I'll share what I did and how I approached the task. You are given a document and then asked to draft a note to a client who has questions for you which you are expected to answer.
    - Here they are looking for critical analysis (how well you understand the task and answer the questions) and written communication skills, as well as time management skills.
    - So without sharing exactly what the written exercise was as I feel it isn't fair on those who have already done it/slightly undermines the process, I approached it by dividing my note in headings for each question to make it as clear to understand as possible and I got very good communication marks because of this. They want you to write in a simple, concise way with the appropriate level of tone and register that you would give when talking to a client.

Interview

- So the interview was my downfall sadly which wasn't a surprise to me as I found the case study part of it very challenging as I had never seen a document like that before since this was my first AC. To be clear the first half of the interview is case-study based and the second half is more competency-based and is about you, your skills and your motivations for a career in commercial law, applying to Macfarlanes etc.
    - In-tray/case study: they are looking for critical analysis, problem solving and communication.
    - My issue was that I was pretty confused with the document and although said some good and correct things, because I didn't fully understand what I was reading that cost me a bit. My advice would be to take your time over it, take a sip of water/a deep breath etc. and not to rush into an answer. Silence is absolutely fine in an interview; you don't need to fill every gap with words, especially if they don't add to your performance. This is something I'll definitely look to continue to do in future interviews.
    - CV & motivations for applying: this part I did well in and fulfilled the competencies they were looking for i.e. can you demonstrate resilience, good communication skills etc. A minor point which I think is worth mentioning is to ensure that you make your answer to why you are interested in law as opposed to another career e.g. finance very very clear so there is no doubt. I'll be tightening up my answer for that for future interviews.

As I said, I hope this is useful to people and that it helps those who have upcoming ACs, not just at Macfarlanes, but at other firms too! :)

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    EDIT: Figured I'd also post this here so that is easier for people to find at a later date

So guys just had my feedback call with Macfarlanes which was actually more positive than I thought it was going to be. So the day is structured in three parts, which is how they decided to give me the feedback so I'll briefly share what they're looking for in each section. I'd imagine the competencies are the same for firms who have similar application processes, so I hope this is useful to people!

Negotiation
    - Competencies they are looking for are: commercial thinking, communication skills and teamwork
    - Try and come up with the points first rather than letting your teammate start and then developing that point based on what he/she has said. A fairly minor point and can be quite difficult if your teammate is quite a dominant personality but obviously try and speak as much as you can, but without talking over him/her!
    - It goes without saying but they are looking for you to build a rapport with your teammates and work well together, as well as being a clear and concise communicator.

Written exercise
    - Interestingly, this was my strongest exercise of the day so I'll share what I did and how I approached the task. You are given a document and then asked to draft a note to a client who has questions for you which you are expected to answer.
    - Here they are looking for critical analysis (how well you understand the task and answer the questions) and written communication skills, as well as time management skills.
    - So without sharing exactly what the written exercise was as I feel it isn't fair on those who have already done it/slightly undermines the process, I approached it by dividing my note in headings for each question to make it as clear to understand as possible and I got very good communication marks because of this. They want you to write in a simple, concise way with the appropriate level of tone and register that you would give when talking to a client.

Interview
    - So the interview was my downfall sadly which wasn't a surprise to me as I found the case study part of it very challenging as I had never seen a document like that before since this was my first AC. To be clear the first half of the interview is case-study based and the second half is more competency-based and is about you, your skills and your motivations for a career in commercial law, applying to Macfarlanes etc.
    - In-tray/case study: they are looking for critical analysis, problem solving and communication.
    - My issue was that I was pretty confused with the document and although said some good and correct things, because I didn't fully understand what I was reading that cost me a bit. My advice would be to take your time over it, take a sip of water/a deep breath etc. and not to rush into an answer. Silence is absolutely fine in an interview; you don't need to fill every gap with words, especially if they don't add to your performance. This is something I'll definitely look to continue to do in future interviews.
    - CV & motivations for applying: this part I did well in and fulfilled the competencies they were looking for i.e. can you demonstrate resilience, good communication skills etc. A minor point which I think is worth mentioning is to ensure that you make your answer to why you are interested in law as opposed to another career e.g. finance very very clear so there is no doubt. I'll be tightening up my answer for that for future interviews.

As I said, I hope this is useful to people and that it helps those who have upcoming ACs, not just at Macfarlanes, but at other firms too! :)

Thanks for sharing Dan. It's great they gave you such detailed feedback.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Daniel Boden and Salma

nina_123

Distinguished Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Hi,

Was just wondering for anyone who did the Macfarlanes Vac Scheme AC - when the firm says CV blind interview, does this mean the interviewer has never seen any part of your written app? Thanks so much :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Reactions: nina_123

nina_123

Distinguished Member
    Jul 15, 2019
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the type of reading I should do in preparation for the in-tray exercise and interview at the Macfarlanes AC? :)

Thank you so much :D

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    Dear community,

I have taken the liberty to address a silly question here - please accept my apologies for it, but I don't get what I ought to do.

On the app. page, there are a few questions such as to explain why Macfarlanes and what qualities successful lawyers should have at the firm; the other two are more about interests and achievements etc. Then, on a different tab, I have to address a cover letter which must include any details not asked in the application form. This is where the question comes in: if I had to explain in different slots why the firm etc, what do I have to write in that cover letter? Thanks very much...

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.