Operation training contract: initiated

Newborntrainee

Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 10, 2019
    Hi all!

I am an aspiring commercial solicitor. As you can imagine, I have not secured a TC yet but I am determined to get an offer for 2022.

First a bit about who I am and my life - I am working as a paralegal in IP litigation at the moment and am also a part-time LPC student in year 1. I am French and did all my school years in Paris, after what I decided to start medical school. Midway through my second year, I had a change of heart and decided to start law school in 2013 at the Catholic University of Lille. After two years, I applied and got an Erasmus grant to come study in England. I completed my third year at CCCU with a few modules I had no idea about. At that stage, I decided I wanted to stick around and see what London had to offer. That's when I started to look more into the route to qualification here and found out I was really, really late to the game. I enrolled to do the GDL and an LL.M both at the same time. It was a great experience but I do not recommend it to anybody who wants to have good grades, because I didn't. I found a job in enforcement and stayed in the company for a year and a half, after which I decided to quit to focus on what I really want: being a commercial solicitor. Few months of search and many tears later, I found my position at Bristows, which I adore. Enrolled in the part-time LPC and here I am.

The wizlaw and I - As mentioned above, I had a change of heart mid-medical school. That was triggered by a single class on overview of research and development of a new drug. In medical school, we mainly focused on the R&D part - make a commercial decision to research a way to treat a condition, the research stages lead by leading scientists, animal and human clinical trial, final clinical trials. And then the exciting stuff: patenting and enforcing patent rights. Bam, I was sold! Left medical school, started law school. That's what I want to do, mostly law, with that general scientific reading. To be fair, it does help to have a scientific background in my current law firm and that is one of the most exciting parts of the job to me.

Naked me - I think I really need to be realistic about my profile and start with everything I know might not be great about me. Sometimes, I found it easy to get carried on by my excitement, determination and optimism, without having a full picture of my weaknesses and how I can mitigate/change them. First stop, laziness. I think I have never been super lazy, but I was guilty of doing the bare minimum, especially before uni. Fast forward a good few years and many of them spent on uni bench, I think I get that without putting the full efforts, I will not get the full reward. That leads to my second point, my grades. Because I did the bare minimum sometimes, my grades are not the best. I do not have mitigating circumstances and am not making excuses for them, I need to take ownership in order to prove that my LPC grades will be better. I used to want to be better but sit on my couch and watch tv, making excuses, saying tomorrow I will do it. Tomorrow is now and I am proactive today, I am making active changes to increases my chances and be the best candidate I will ever be.

Now what? - I am struggling through the LPC and work, both taking so much of my time. I want to follow my study plans: read, prepare, attend, consolidate, read, revise and do mocks. But all this takes immense time and I find myself going home tired and exhausted after 7 hours of work, 3 hours of studying. I try to take the time to recharge as much as I can during the weekend (which is why I study so hard in the week) but often, still have to study in the mornings. I have just started my TC application round, with a few firms in mind and a schedule ahead of me. I've got all the chances on my side, I just need to make the best of it.

Feel free to tag along and watch me try, fail and, hopefully, succeed!

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Great introduction Viviane. Looking forward to following you on your journey. The good thing is all the experiences you've had up until now can make for a very interesting CV/interview!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.