Redeeming

Ksfung11

Nov 18, 2023
I am looking to apply for vacation schemes after receiving my first-year results yesterday (January Start). Due to my mindset of first-year results don't add up to final year grade...
I didn't do good at all in my modules. I also have poorer A-level results than most (A*BB).
My only redeeming factor is that I've been doing Pro-Bono. I've done some insight days and law events with Clifford Chance and other firms. I have been going through virtual vacation schemes via Legal Cheek.
I've got until January 2024 before I start my second year. So I've got 4 questions:
  1. How do I make up for lost time and bad grades?
  2. A lot of vacation schemes for Spring have a deadline of 1st of Dec
  3. What should I do to make up for bad grades and make my application stand out?
  4. Is applying to high-street firms for shadowing or even applying to be a paralegal good? Some people I've talked to said it might be detrimental.
Thank you

Last edited:
Reactions: axelbeugre

babylawyer1942

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 30, 2023
    Hi, as someone who also did not take first year very seriously (albeit I did have mitigating circumstances), the best way to make up for the bad grades is to get better grades in the following years. When you look at my transcript, it is easy to see the clear improvement that has helped with TC applications. Doing pro-bono and attending these events are really good too, but I noticed that despite my experience, I didn't get anywhere until waiting for when my grades were much better. As this process is very competitive, you have to make sure that you put the best version of yourself forward

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    I am looking to apply for vacation schemes after receiving my first-year results yesterday (January Start). Due to my mindset of first-year results don't add up to final year grade...
    I didn't do good at all in my modules. I also have poorer A-level results than most (A*BB).
    My only redeeming factor is that I've been doing Pro-Bono. I've done some insight days and law events with Clifford Chance and other firms. I have been going through virtual vacation schemes via Legal Cheek.
    I've got until January 2024 before I start my second year. So I've got 4 questions:
    1. How do I make up for lost time and bad grades?
    2. A lot of vacation schemes for Spring have a deadline of 1st of Dec
    3. What should I do to make up for bad grades and make my application stand out?
    4. Is applying to high-street firms for shadowing or even applying to be a paralegal good? Some people I've talked to said it might be detrimental.
    Thank you
    Hey @Ksfung11,

I do agree with @babylawyer1942 when they say that one of the best ways to improve is focusing on your second year grades. I think that what law firm wants to see, even if you do not start well with your grades in your first years, is a positive trajectory of improvement and growth throughout the years. This is the most important thing that you could do. Whether that means going to more office hours, finding study partners you can revise with or rewatching lectures that you did not quite understand, I would invite you to do all of these things to help you improve.

It is also important to remember that if you have mitigating circumstances, these should always be displayed as they will allow the law firm to make an holistic evaluation of your performance, so do not shy away from explaining them if you had any.

I think that your extracurricular activities are really good and I am sure that they will help you with the applications and they show a commitment to the legal profession, however grades are also important so I would advise to work on those this year.

It would be good to do some work experience in the legal or business sphere if you can this summer as that will help you with having an holistic profile and be appreciated by graduate recruitment.

In terms of getting a shadowing experience or working as a paralegal, I think it depends on the opportunities presented to you. I think that working as a paralegal is really good for experience and it gives you practical skills that will be very necessary when you start a training contract. I do not have any experience with shadowing someone in a law firm so I genuinely cannot tell you if that would be beneficial to an application. I am assuming that it might not hurt but I do not think it is necessary at all. I was an international student from a non-law background and no substantial legal work experience and I was successful in my first application cycle so I hope that shows that you do not need any sort of advantage to get through as long as you have worked really hard!

Good luck with the process!

Reactions: TCLA Moderator

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.