Reed Smith Post SJT

Donzi

Star Member
Mar 9, 2019
Hi guys,

Having completed the SJT, Reed Smith has instructed me to answer three further questions.

I am somewhat confused about how to answer the following question:
  • (Q) Taking into account the firms core values and drawing on any examples you have from your experiences, would you feel confident enough to challenge your colleagues if they were carrying out a process incorrectly?
If someone could shed some light on how to answer this, I would be very grateful.

Reed Smith has five core values: should I incorporate all of them? I feel that doing this will dilute my answer.

I look forward to receiving advice on this!

Manifesting

Esteemed Member
2020 Community Winner
Sep 11, 2020
Hi!

I'm not sure what your word limit is but one way you could do it is to think about a team situation in which a process was being carried out incorrectly either for Integrity or Excellence reasons and why upholding high standards was crucial. Speak about how you spoke up, linking it to the Teamwork and Respect value. Then show how your initiative made a difference in Innovation or Impact.

This is an example structure in which you could touch on 3 out of Reed Smith's 5 values without it feeling too forced.

• 🤝
Reactions: Fran and Donzi

Veep9

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    Hey did you hear back from Reed Smith?
    Not OP so they might have a different answer but Reed Smith basically sent an email around saying that we’d hear about the result of our research questions at the end of Jan. So I think they want to see all answers before they progress/reject people.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: NikkiT

Donzi

Star Member
    Mar 9, 2019
    Hey did you hear back from Reed Smith?

Hey - No, since submitting my answers, I have not heard back. Although, quite worryingly, having submitted my answers, I received several subsequent emails (after the deadline) asking me to submit my answers. However, this was later rectified by GR who stated that there had been an error on their system and that candidates who had already submitted their answers should not worry.

Almost a month ago, I sent an email to GR, asking them to confirm receipt of my answers, but have yet to receive a response.

I'll probably wait a bit longer and, if they do not respond, send a follow up email.

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    For those that have heard back post SJT, is this for the spring or summer scheme?
    Spring.

Great thanks! @Donzi @Veep9

Can I ask how you addressed the last question?

Also if you included why Reed Smith in the Why Commercial Law question?
    I didn’t talk about why RS in why commercial law.

Answer 3, I talked about their values and how that influences behaviour with colleagues and towards clients and then talked about anecdotes from my work experience.

it’s odd but I found that one easiest to write. I really struggled to get the first answer within 300 words.

• ℹ️

NikkiT

Legendary Member
    Oct 2, 2020
    Spring.

I didn’t talk about why RS in why commercial law.

Answer 3, I talked about their values and how that influences behaviour with colleagues and towards clients and then talked about anecdotes from my work experience.

it’s odd but I found that one easiest to write. I really struggled to get the first answer within 300 words.

For the last one did you talk about one example? Also, did you bring in innovation?

Yeah, it's difficult to do 300 words on the first one, I have just added in some points from my work experience but I might end deleting them so I can use them for the final question instead!

Veep9

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 8, 2020
    For the last one did you talk about one example? Also, did you bring in innovation?

Yeah, it's difficult to do 300 words on the first one, I have just added in some points from my work experience but I might end deleting them so I can use them for the final question instead!
    I only used one example. I have to say though I have no idea whether my approach will be successful so go with your gut!

HorsesForCoursesNeighNeighNeigh

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
    M&A Bootcamp
    Dec 1, 2020
    Hi everyone! I just took the Reed Smith SJT, can I ask what people got for strengths and roughly how like it might take to find out if I passed? I got collaboration, attention to detail and judgement.

Originally applied Dec 30.

Aminata

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 27, 2018
    Hi everyone! I just took the Reed Smith SJT, can I ask what people got for strengths and roughly how like it might take to find out if I passed? I got collaboration, attention to detail and judgement.

Originally applied Dec 30.
    Hi, I completed the test yesterday and received the research questions today (within less than 24 hours). My strengths were attention to detail, collaboration and drive.

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    People who've submitted their research answers, did you include your word count anywhere? Bit confused how they'll check if its a PDF!

Also, if we were sent the questions on a Monday and given a 5-day window, would the due date be Friday or Saturday?

Haz

Legendary Member
  • Dec 28, 2020
    People who've submitted their research answers, did you include your word count anywhere? Bit confused how they'll check if its a PDF!

Also, if we were sent the questions on a Monday and given a 5-day window, would the due date be Friday or Saturday?
    Hi Victoria, I was sent my question on Monday too and I'm taking that to mean Saturday (at the exact time they were sent on Monday). I'm also not sure about whether to place the word count on the page either?

Victoria R

Distinguished Member
    Jul 17, 2020
    Hi Victoria, I was sent my question on Monday too and I'm taking that to mean Saturday (at the exact time they were sent on Monday). I'm also not sure about whether to place the word count on the page either?

To be safe, I may put the word count in brackets underneath the questions, but since they don't ask for it I'm sure you don't necessarily need to! I've been aiming for Friday so would be very happy to have an extra day on it!

Reactions: Haz

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.