Reed Smith Vacation Scheme

SarahB3

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 28, 2019
Hi All,
The question on the Reed Smith application asks for "Details and explanation of how you feel you have benefited from this experience under the work experience section". (250 words)
Do I need to link it back to the firm and if so, how much of my work experience should be linked back to the firm ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi All,
The question on the Reed Smith application asks for "Details and explanation of how you feel you have benefited from this experience under the work experience section". (250 words)
Do I need to link it back to the firm and if so, how much of my work experience should be linked back to the firm ?

You don’t need to link it back to the firm. Just think about the key things you achieved or learnt and why you think you have benefited.

there will be transferable skills from any work experience - it doesn’t have to be relevant to an individual firm, it’s got to be relevant to YOU as an applicant

SarahB3

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 28, 2019
You don’t need to link it back to the firm. Just think about the key things you achieved or learnt and why you think you have benefited.

there will be transferable skills from any work experience - it doesn’t have to be relevant to an individual firm, it’s got to be relevant to YOU as an applicant
Thank you so much Jessica !

May I ask could I use an insight week into City law event which was hosted by RPC, Cooley, Gowling and Baker Mckenzie as work experience and do you think I can put open day under work experience section ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much Jessica !

May I ask could I use an insight week into City law event which was hosted by RPC, Cooley, Gowling and Baker Mckenzie as work experience and do you think I can put open day under work experience section ?

An insight week can be work experience. I wouldn’t put the Citylawlive event as work experience though, but should be included elsewhere in an application

SarahB3

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Sep 28, 2019
Thank you Jess for your prompt reply - so just to clarify the insight week was at 3 city law firms but it was non-paid experience and lasted about 4 days. I applied and secure the opportunity through Target Jobs ?

Likewise, do you consider I can add open day at Reed smith under the work experience section ?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you Jess for your prompt reply - so just to clarify the insight week was at 3 city law firms but it was non-paid experience and lasted about 4 days. I applied and secure the opportunity through Target Jobs ?

Likewise, do you consider I can add open day at Reed smith under the work experience section ?

Did you do any actual work, or was it just seminars/talks etc?

It depends what other work experience you have. I wouldn’t be prioritising a one day open day over something that you have done for months, even if it’s not anything to do with Law (eg part time job in retail).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.