Slaughter & May Winter workshop

Samantha

Legendary Member
Nov 18, 2020
Could you show me where the firm has said that?

From their FAQ, it sounds to me that if you want to apply for a TC and you feel ready to apply for one, you should go for it - especially if you want to maximise your chances when it comes to the availability of places. The exception to that is if you want to apply for the winter workshop before applying for a TC.

Can I apply to a winter workshop and a training contract at the same time?

It is not necessary to have completed work experience with us to have a successful training contract application. If you already have legal work experience and/or you feel ready to apply directly for a training contract, we would encourage you to do so. If you would still like to apply for the winter workshop before applying for a training contract, please bear in mind that training contract interviews will be scheduled and offers will be made on a rolling basis. We are therefore unable to guarantee the availability of places as we progress with these interviews.

I'd flag that I don't have any insider knowledge though, so I may be wrong on this.

it was sent in the email after we applied.

Rene

Star Member
Nov 10, 2020
I emailed to ask about when we’ll hear back and got this back:

“We apologise in the delay in getting back to you with regards to an outcome. Each application is processed individually and on a rolling basis, therefore I cannot confirm a date you will hear from us. Your application is being reviewed and you will receive an email with the outcome either way.”

• 🤝
Reactions: Amy456 and Samantha

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    it was sent in the email after we applied.

Okay understood and I can see why that's frustrating.

In that case, I'm afraid I don't have much value to add here. It sounds like the firm is just floored with reviewing applications. As John said, I'd have your cover letters ready to go in case you hear back before the TC deadline.

Amy456

Esteemed Member
    Oct 5, 2020
    Okay understood and I can see why that's frustrating.

In that case, I'm afraid I don't have much value to add here. It sounds like the firm is just floored with reviewing applications. As John said, I'd have your cover letters ready to go in case you hear back before the TC deadline.

Ahaha thank you anyway! It was worth asking.

Amy456

Esteemed Member
    Oct 5, 2020

“We apologise in the delay in getting back to you with regards to an outcome. Each application is processed individually and on a rolling basis, therefore I cannot confirm a date you will hear from us. Your application is being reviewed and you will receive an email with the outcome either way.”

So could still take a while I guess :(

• 🤝
    Reactions: Samantha

Elle

Nov 12, 2020
    Also want to apply for a TC but I'm stuck in limbo
    Same! And the fact it’s on a rolling basis makes me think it might be too late...

Thank you for sharing this! Good luck everyone I hope we hear back soon.

mlaw123

Nov 5, 2020
    Thought it might be useful to also share the response I received a while back from Grad recruitment when I was unsure whether to apply for the WW or go straight for TC:

"We are unable to accept an application for both the Winter workshop and a training contract at the same time. If you would like to apply for both, you should apply for the workshop first and, if you are unsuccessful you can submit a further application for a training contract. If you are successful in getting a place on the winter workshop and want to interview for a training contract, you would need to submit a training contract application, which would be fast tracked to interview stage and the interview will take place after the workshop. However, please note that we are unable to guarantee that there will be places left in the training contract vacancy.

However, we would like to assure you that it is not necessary to have completed a work experience scheme with us, or any other firm, in order to secure a training contract at Slaughter and May."

Hope this helps! I'm still waiting on my outcome too.

Amy_22

Distinguished Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Nov 15, 2020
    damn i applied last day and im a bit tense, honestly my app wasn't great and I've been rejected for open days by BCLP and White and Case already so I assume there's more rejections coming because I've not had one yet

Sorry to hear about the rejection! What was your wait time for the BCLP rejection after submitting the application?

Amy456

Esteemed Member
    Oct 5, 2020
    Thought it might be useful to also share the response I received a while back from Grad recruitment when I was unsure whether to apply for the WW or go straight for TC:

"We are unable to accept an application for both the Winter workshop and a training contract at the same time. If you would like to apply for both, you should apply for the workshop first and, if you are unsuccessful you can submit a further application for a training contract. If you are successful in getting a place on the winter workshop and want to interview for a training contract, you would need to submit a training contract application, which would be fast tracked to interview stage and the interview will take place after the workshop. However, please note that we are unable to guarantee that there will be places left in the training contract vacancy.

However, we would like to assure you that it is not necessary to have completed a work experience scheme with us, or any other firm, in order to secure a training contract at Slaughter and May."

Hope this helps! I'm still waiting on my outcome too.

Does this mean if you get accepted, not much in your application needs to change when applying for the TC because you are already fast tracked to interview?

• 🤝
    Reactions: Samantha

AS2000

Distinguished Member
    Nov 15, 2020
    Has anyone heard back from them today? I emailed their GR, and they still haven't gotten back to me. Don't know what to think or feel about this as people get rejections every day.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.