So how many Vac Scheme apps is too many?

rn7

Premium Member
Apr 13, 2019
Hello all,

Hope you've had an enjoyable (but also productive) summer!

With the new academic year approaching, I've been compiling a 'shortlist' of firms to apply to.
My goal is to secure a TC by the end of next year and I hope to achieve that through vacation schemes, rather than direct TC applications. This is because I do want the opportunity to get to know (and compare) the different firms I'll be applying to and I feel it will also allow me to show my best to the firm over the course of the internship. Further, there seems to be a consensus that most TC offers are made to vac schemers.

Here comes the question: is there a verdict on how many vac scheme applications are too many?

The obvious issues with too many applications are: (i) application quality can be compromised, and (ii) if offers are made, the schemes might clash.

I've narrowed down the list to 8 firms (which I'm interested in based on mostly their practice strengths, but also their global strategies and future growth prospects). Out of these, however, I had intended to apply to a maximum of four or five. All of their schemes are held during the summer.

Do you think I'm shooting myself in the foot by not going for more, or is it better to stay focused on a smaller number of firms and get to know them as well as possible prior to the ACs?

Feel free to discuss!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Too many is when you start applying to firms you don’t really want to work for.

This could be 2 it could be 102 applications - very much depends on the person applying

Reactions: rn7 and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.