Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Stephenson Harwood Interview 2018

When was your Stephenson Hardwood interview?

October 2018

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

Please describe the interview process at Stephenson Harwood.

The interview process is in two parts. The first part is an interview with two members of Graduate Recruitment or HR. This interview consists of a number of questions, which I think are split into three parts. The first set of questions are are mainly competency questions, so I used lots of STAR examples. The second part of the interview is based on your motivation for becoming a lawyer and the final part of the interview is based on Stephenson Harwood.

After getting through the first stage of interviews you are invited back to an assessment day. On the assessment day there are between 6-8 candidates, but there is no group task. The group are split into two, and one half will go and do a written task, whilst the others begin with their interview.

The written task was straight forward and did not require any legal knowledge. It did include a balance sheet so make sure you have a basic understanding of these.

Next, I moved on to my presentation and interview. A week before the assessment day you are given a presentation question and you are expected to prepare for the presentation in advance. Following your 10 minute presentation to a partner and a member of HR, you are asked a few questions on it, and then you move straight on to your interview. The interview was fairly similar to the first interview, with motivations for becoming a lawyer and why you wanted to work for Stephenson Harwood.

Finally, the last interview was based on the written task I did in the morning. These questions were quite fiery, and you should expected to be questioned on why you wrote certain things.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Stephenson Harwood interview?

With the interview following the written task, if you've realised that something you might have originally written is wrong don't try and defend your wrong answer. You can admit that after reflecting you probably would have changed your answer. For the presentation make sure that you are presenting on something you are genuinely interested in and don't feel too restricted to the question as it is easy to make any commercial topic relate to the question.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Stephenson Harwood Interview 2018

When was your Stephenson Hardwood interview?

November 2018

What was it for?

Winter Vacation Scheme

Please describe the interview process at Stephenson Harwood.

A one-hour interview with a member of graduate recruitment. It was very relaxed and I felt my interviewer tried to get the best out of me and definitely tailored the questions to my application. We spent a large proportion on my past work experience and internships so really know these inside out. From memory there were 3 competency questions which covered collaboration, challenges of working in a team, and a time where you felt you 'added value'. There were also more technical questions where the interviewer asked me to explain specific points of law in simple English. The usual why law, why commercial law and why SH. Overall, I was very happy with the interview - there was nothing that was too difficult to answer and I felt the interviewer wanted me to do well which is definitely not the case at every other law firm.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Stephenson Harwood interview?

Have very clear and detailed responses to why law and why SH. Also, brush up on any technical areas of law you have mentioned in the application and be prepared to explain these and what interests you personally about that specific area.

Don't be afraid to show personality - I think this is important given how tailored the interview was, it was obvious the interviewer had read my application and had picked specific areas to quiz me on.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.