TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

corplawperson23

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jun 7, 2022
I have an insight day tomorrow for a firm that only offers training contracts directly, with no internship route. Given this is the only interaction I am able to have, does anyone have any tips on how to make a good impression?

rocknr

Standard Member
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2023
Does anyone know if we progress to the AC stage will we be able to choose the AC date, or is it randomly allocated by the firm? Baker McKenzie sent an email after online application saying that there are 4 dates in May for AC. (Completed the WG test but haven’t heard anything for VI yet, just planning my May schedule

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    Does anyone know if we progress to the AC stage will we be able to choose the AC date, or is it randomly allocated by the firm? Baker McKenzie sent an email after online application saying that there are 4 dates in May for AC. (Completed the WG test but haven’t heard anything for VI yet, just planning my May schedule
    You will be able to choose a slot, dates will be available till they are full in which case you will have to chose an alternative date

Jedward87

Star Member
    Feb 23, 2021
    Hello - has anyone progressed past their Watson Glaser to do the video interview for Baker McKenzie yet please? I submitted my WG about 11 days ago and haven’t heard anything yet - someone mentioned above it would be 2 weeks to hear back post-WG.

Reactions: bibss

Potasia

Apr 17, 2023
    Hello - has anyone progressed past their Watson Glaser to do the video interview for Baker McKenzie yet please? I submitted my WG about 11 days ago and haven’t heard anything yet - someone mentioned above it would be 2 weeks to hear back post-WG.
    There is no need to stress - they will likely update by Friday or early next week. We know their timelines and VIs need at least a week given to complete so the answer (whether positive or not) is coming soon. The last cohort of tests finished yesterday so

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    There is no need to stress - they will likely update by Friday or early next week. We know their timelines and VIs need at least a week given to complete so the answer (whether positive or not) is coming soon. The last cohort of tests finished yesterday so
    There is probably a cohort finishing their wg this week.
    My link broke and I received an extension as well. I think my deadline is the date when the final cohort finishes their test

Reactions: Jedward87

Maham

Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2021
    Hi guys

Got an offer for a TC from a firm. Although I have done the LPC, they are requiring me to do the SQE as well. Has anyone experienced this with other firms?
    Hi, congratulations on your TC offer!

I received a TC offer from Freshfields this cycle. I’m currently completing the LPC - GR told me that if I pass all my LPC modules, I’m exempt from the SQE (both 1 and 2).

I guess it depends on the firm!

Reactions: Pal22

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi guys

Got an offer for a TC from a firm. Although I have done the LPC, they are requiring me to do the SQE as well. Has anyone experienced this with other firms?
    This is very common now. Many firms do not want trainees coming through two qualification routes as they are treated so differently, have different rights, different training needs etc.

You’ll be exempt from SQE1 and will just need to sit SQE2 given you have passed the LPC.

Reactions: Pal22

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, congratulations on your TC offer!

I received a TC offer from Freshfields this cycle. I’m currently completing the LPC - GR told me that if I pass all my LPC modules, I’m exempt from the SQE (both 1 and 2).

I guess it depends on the firm!
    You won’t be exempt from SQE2 - you will need to make sure your training contract is either a period of recognised training under the old qualification system.

Firms cannot choose what you are exempt from. Only the SRA sets exemptions from the SQE process.

Maham

Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2021
    You won’t be exempt from SQE2 - you will need to make sure your training contract is either a period of recognised training under the old qualification system.

Firms cannot choose what you are exempt from. Only the SRA sets exemptions from the SQE process.
    Hi Jessica, my TC commences in 2025

I spoke to a member of GR, and I was told I’m exempt from the City Consortium Programme, if I pass the LPC in the first go.

In my signed offer letter, I requested an earlier start date, given that I’m exempt from the CCP (provided I pass all my modules) - this was again acknowledged by GR.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    I still have a few days to do mine, so the batches of WGs arent done yet.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.