TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wannabe_Lawyer

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jul 22, 2018
On the working from home point, I would assume you cannot assume you could just ask them about balancing work/get their opinion, although it isn't necessarily impossible that you could speak to them too (e.g. it is not that they are on leave). Therefore you might not be able to get their opinion and therefore how would you make a decision/what decision would you make if you haven't got the person around to just ask a quick question by walking up to them. I'd also consider that you are not limited to working in the office, and therefore your ability to work is something you could do around your appointment.

Discussing and agreeing deadlines for work is a key part of the job - you can't do everything and there is a team of people to work with when you have got important commitments. But if you have just received emails (and several of them) it's unlikely the expectation would be that you would do all that work that evening.

I'd also pick out that you are still waiting for the information from the third party - there is no definition as to when that information could come through. So think about how you will manage that ahead of the 10.00am meeting.
Thank you Jessica! This is really helpful!

M0M007

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2023
Hello, to those international students planning to apply for paralegal jobs etc using postgraduate visa, how are you going planning to do it since there’s a marking strike which affects our application for the postgrad visa ?

F12M34L

Legendary Member
  • Apr 28, 2022
    Are strict A levels (AAA) and 2:1 degree (65+) required by Slaughter and May? The website is slightly confusing - Additionally, do they value legal experience when considering applicants? I would appreciate honest opinions if someone has applied to the firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Are strict A levels (AAA) and 2:1 degree (65+) required by Slaughter and May? The website is slightly confusing - Additionally, do they value legal experience when considering applicants? I would appreciate honest opinions if someone has applied to the firm.
    Not necessarily - I have known people without this profile (eg not a 65% average and straight As) get into Slaughters - but when they did there was usually something else very interesting or exceptional about them.

Reactions: F12M34L

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    Not necessarily - I have known people without this profile (eg not a 65% average and straight As) get into Slaughters - but when they did there was usually something else very interesting or exceptional about them.
    @Jessica Booker - Can you please elaborate on this? Exceptional or interesting in what way? I don't have crazy academics and debating whether it is worth applying.

CorporateCrocodile

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 21, 2022
    Does anyone have any advice for the following question on the Fried Frank application form: 'Please tell us why you believe commercial awareness is an important skill for a successful lawyer'.

Is it worth relating it back to why commercial awareness is important, specifically, for a lawyer at Fried Frank? E.g FF work with PE funds who are already very commercially aware hence the need for even more commercial awareness.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.