TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Does anyone know where I can find good resources (e.g. legal templates) to prepare for an upcoming vs or if I can find something on the TCLA website? Thank you in advance

BM99

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Sep 12, 2021
is there anyone who successfully passed though sullivan’s screening and got an AC invite before? Always get shortlisted for consideration but wasn’t able to get an AC..

MollySolly

May 28, 2023
Hi All, hope you are well! After qualifying in Nigeria and practising as a commercial lawyer for about 2 years, I’ve managed to attain a Distinction in the LPC (2022) with the intent to secure a training contract. So far, applications have been rejected. Please does anyone have any views on this? Are firms viewing me as over-qualified or could it be that I just need to work on application. I had expected that my LPC would make my application attractive enough to get through to further stages at the least. Are there some firms that would prefer candidates will less experience and could you mention them please?

Thank you!!

Lawyerscup

May 21, 2022
Congrats on getting a distinction! However, I don’t believe that simply a distinction in the course will put you ahead of anyone in the application process as many do have a distinction. Also, you don’t need a distinction to get progressed many achieve commendation and secure a TC. Different factors play into getting progressed to the next stage i.e grades, quality of application (what you wrote), performance in online tests etc. Re your 2 years of work experience - not sure how firms will view it as but some firms might take you on as a qualified lawyer, some will have you do a training contract but @Jessica Booker will be better suited to comment on that. Goodluck @MollySolly :)

Edit: given that the SQE route has been introduced you could also sit the exam and qualify that way. Pretty sure your two years of experience will count towards qualifying work experience. I think you’d get exemptions (having to sit only exam 1 or 2 not sure which one you’d have to sit) based on having done the LPC or being qualified in a different jurisdiction.

Last edited:

hirene

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 2, 2022
The application I'm working on wants a personal referee as well as academic - I don't suppose this includes work-related people like my supervisors right? I'm just wondering what kind of people I can put as my personal referee... perhaps my volunteering supervisor? Or friends or family? What are you guys' thoughts :D

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi All, hope you are well! After qualifying in Nigeria and practising as a commercial lawyer for about 2 years, I’ve managed to attain a Distinction in the LPC (2022) with the intent to secure a training contract. So far, applications have been rejected. Please does anyone have any views on this? Are firms viewing me as over-qualified or could it be that I just need to work on application. I had expected that my LPC would make my application attractive enough to get through to further stages at the least. Are there some firms that would prefer candidates will less experience and could you mention them please?

Thank you!!
The issue is not necessarily that you are over qualified/over experienced now, but more so that you could be by the time firms are recruiting.

Most firms are recruiting for 2025 training contracts, and in that time you could gain more experience in Nigeria and potentially take the SQE and qualify in England and Wales too. With 4-5 years experience in Nigeria (assuming this is on an international level and within commercial law) you could find yourself potentially able to secure NQ roles in the UK, assuming you took the SQE anyway.

In addition, many firms are moving to the SQE by 2025 and would make you do the SQE before the start of a TC, you would be a qualified lawyer by the time you started a TC given you are qualified in another jurisdiction, and a lot of firms are a bit confused on how to manage those type of hires, as you can’t be labelled as a trainee but effectively are.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
The application I'm working on wants a personal referee as well as academic - I don't suppose this includes work-related people like my supervisors right? I'm just wondering what kind of people I can put as my personal referee... perhaps my volunteering supervisor? Or friends or family? What are you guys' thoughts :D
Anyone who has known you for a good period of time (3+ years) and can comment on your character, and ideally is either someone you have worked with or of not is someone who works in a professional capacity (nurse/doctor/teacher/solicitor, director etc) who you are not related to.

Ambbb

Apr 10, 2023
I applied to BDB weeks ago and still haven’t received the automatic sjt invitation. I’ve tried calling and emailing a few times but haven’t been able to get through to grad rec. The deadline is this week so I’m not sure what to do - any advice please? @Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I applied to BDB weeks ago and still haven’t received the automatic sjt invitation. I’ve tried calling and emailing a few times but haven’t been able to get through to grad rec. The deadline is this week so I’m not sure what to do - any advice please? @Jessica Booker
I wouldn’t worry about this (I have inside knowledge!). Someone will come back to you in due course - the deadline is just the application deadline, not the SJT deadline.

Reactions: Ambbb

maple leaves

Premium Member
Jan 6, 2023
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I hope this message finds you well.

I am quite sure this question has been asked before but I am unable to find the relevant posts so I do apologise in advance.

I have recently been offered a TC but I have pending applications for other law firms (at different stages of the recruitment process). Would it be wise to enquire about the progress of those applications? if so, should I be frank about having a TC offer?

Thank you so much for your help in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I hope this message finds you well.

I am quite sure this question has been asked before but I am unable to find the relevant posts so I do apologise in advance.

I have recently been offered a TC but I have pending applications for other law firms (at different stages of the recruitment process). Would it be wise to enquire about the progress of those applications? if so, should I be frank about having a TC offer?

Thank you so much for your help in advance, and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
You can ask about timeframes you would expect to hear back - any candidate can ask this whether they have a TC or not.

Whether you disclose you have secured a TC is a double edged sword though. On one side it shows you are a competitive candidate, but on the other side, many firms are not going to be able to expedite their recruitment process for you, and so may just be able to give you timeframes of when you will hear back rather than a chased up decision on your application.

VIVI

Feb 12, 2020
Has anyone ever had experience interviewing at Greenberg Traurig - I really can't find anything online and they havent said whether the interviews will be technical or competency or anything else so any help would be massively appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.