Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker , hope you are doing well. For my Cover letter for Slaughter and May, I wanted to ask you, is the following format okay?"

Dear Ms. Arnold,

Para 1 - My interest in law grew after....

Para 2

Para 3

Yours Sincerely,
XYZ

Basically, I am thinking of omitting
1- my address
2- the address of Ms Janine Arnold which is the same as the firm's address
3- the date
4- my introduction "My name is ABC, currently a final year student at XYZ, interested in a TC opportunity at the firm commencing Sept 2026 etc.

I feel that all these details will be there on the application as well. Am I right in starting the main body from the get go? Thanks.
I would personally include the date but all the other things can be omitted.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Marissa

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Jun 25, 2020
Hi all,

For firms that have virtual work experience programmes on Forage, would you recommend always complete them before applying for TCs, and how likely do they boost your app?

Ive worked almost 2 years as paralegal for a silver circle law firm and a top uk clearing bank so I have experience already.

Thanks!

seriouslylegal

Junior Lawyer
Jul 26, 2023
Hi all,

For firms that have virtual work experience programmes on Forage, would you recommend always complete them before applying for TCs, and how likely do they boost your app?

Ive worked almost 2 years as paralegal for a silver circle law firm and a top uk clearing bank so I have experience already.

Thanks!
This is just my personal experience and probably a coincidence but I've been rejected from all the firms I did Forage programmes for and got ACs for ones which I haven't. That said, I think it's useful to show an understanding of what tasks a commercial solicitor does, which you may not need if you have paralegal experience. If you want more of an understanding of a specific area like Private Equity, Litigation or IP it could still be useful to demonstrate that interest. I just don't think they're that essential to show interest in /commitment to a specific firm, compared to eg attending webinars or open days. So if you have spare time maybe choose one or two where the content seems the most interesting but I wouldn't spend hours completing them if it takes away time from writing the applications and researching the firm ☺️

Last edited:

johnnn821

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hi all,

Thanks!
From my experience, if you can demonstrate an understanding of what commercial lawyers do and you have legal work experience to substantiate your interest in commercial law, completing a forage virtual internship won't make a significant difference.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi all,

Thanks!
It’s not necessary at all - I’d only suggest doing them if it’s going to bring something new/different to your CV (eg if it helped you learn about a different area of law).

They are effectively a marketing tool rather than a recruitment tool for firms.

Law1099

Valued Member
Jan 18, 2021
Not a paralegal so I guess I'll just say it's an appointment, when you've asked for AL were they okay with it being just one day off?
Of course.
I’ve booked one day off loads of times- weekend trips, graduation, even just a mental health day. If you’re entitled to AL they’re not going to ask you what you’re doing

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
For people that did Stephenson Harwood's written assessment, did you get any email confirmation after submitting or was it just the notification that came up on the actual page

Chen0106

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 22, 2023
Hey, they don’t send anything - just a few emails on Monday and Tuesday - and this is literally to just create an account (so that you don’t have to do it on the day of the AC).
Hi, I've tracked your answers regarding Macfarlanes AD and they're really helpful. I am wondering whether computer or pen and paper should be taken with me on Macfarlanes AD. And if I encountered any difficult terms or vocabularies would I be allowed to google or look it up in dictionary? I got really nervous about this...... I would highly appreciate it if you could help to answer the questions. And best luck with getting good news from the firm!

LegallyBrown

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
  • Jun 20, 2023
    Hi, I've tracked your answers regarding Macfarlanes AD and they're really helpful. I am wondering whether computer or pen and paper should be taken with me on Macfarlanes AD. And if I encountered any difficult terms or vocabularies would I be allowed to google or look it up in dictionary? I got really nervous about this...... I would highly appreciate it if you could help to answer the questions. And best luck with getting good news from the firm!
    They provide everything you need, as I’m sure would most assessment centres. However, I’d always suggest just taking a pen and paper with you in case (just to seem prepared).

As for a computer, I don’t think you’ll ever need this for an AC (unless explicitly told to bring one). For Macs, they don’t require one and give you one on the day. The reason being, you need access to their internal system so this cannot be pulled up on your laptop.

As for google, you are not allowed to search anything at all. To be honest, there will never be a need to. Everything you need is in the documents they provide, and I know it sounds a bit mysterious but once you open the documents you’ll see what I mean.

I definitely would not bother overthinking the AC. Easier said than done I know, but the minute I got there, you don’t even feel nervous anymore. The partners and associates, as well as the grad rec team are honestly so friendly and easygoing.
    Personally, I was scared of the case analysis but I had so much fun in it. I remember just laughing with the partners and cracking jokes about the scenarios. I’m not saying crack jokes, but don’t stress about it because ultimately you’ll end up getting caught up in the nerves that it will just harm your performance overall.

Hope this helps, and wish you the best of luck.

Chen0106

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 22, 2023
    They provide everything you need, as I’m sure would most assessment centres. However, I’d always suggest just taking a pen and paper with you in case (just to seem prepared).

As for a computer, I don’t think you’ll ever need this for an AC (unless explicitly told to bring one). For Macs, they don’t require one and give you one on the day. The reason being, you need access to their internal system so this cannot be pulled up on your laptop.

As for google, you are not allowed to search anything at all. To be honest, there will never be a need to. Everything you need is in the documents they provide, and I know it sounds a bit mysterious but once you open the documents you’ll see what I mean.

I definitely would not bother overthinking the AC. Easier said than done I know, but the minute I got there, you don’t even feel nervous anymore. The partners and associates, as well as the grad rec team are honestly so friendly and easygoing.
    Personally, I was scared of the case analysis but I had so much fun in it. I remember just laughing with the partners and cracking jokes about the scenarios. I’m not saying crack jokes, but don’t stress about it because ultimately you’ll end up getting caught up in the nerves that it will just harm your performance overall.

Hope this helps, and wish you the best of luck.
    OMG You are an angel! Thank you so much for the helpful reply! I feel better much better now!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.