TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

atelier

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    NRF telephone interview! any tips would be greatly greatly appreciated! :) As this is my first ever Ti, I'd also be grateful to know how to prepare and what I should be expecting etc.

So far I had interviews/ACs with Withers, CC, Macfarlanes and Harbottle so I would love to share my experience as well! feel free to DM me or reply to this post!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @Jessica Booker, hope you’re well! How would you go about answering ‘why haven’t you got a TC yet?’ In an interview
    Being honest when answering this question shows that you have the ability to reflect on what actually isn't working and what you've done about it. For me, the answer would be that I had not put in the effort the was necessary to understand the demands of the process and profession and my own motivations, and this was holding me back from being successful in getting a TC. Elaborating on the steps I took to bridge this gap in effort, whether it was attending networking sessions or firm events or getting my applications reviewed, was crucial in ensuring that I didn't come off as knowing what had gone wrong and doing nothing about it.

Jedward87

Star Member
    Feb 23, 2021
    I think I’ll wait until end of next week at the earliest to contact them, where they’re not rolling + extended the deadline I feel like it’s going to take a while to hear back, esp for me, as I applied v close to deadline.

I just wondered if anyone had heard yea or nay yet - reassuringly, no one seems to have heard yet!
    Yes - might drop them an email bc in the application submission it said we could expect to hear by the end of August but it’s not looking good atm

Reactions: ellwilsen

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Just did my White & Case video interview.. I had prepared answers for just about every question that showed up and rehearsed them beforehand but when it came to the actual recording I was so nervous that I just couldn't stop stuttering 😭

I got invited to 2 video interviews last cycle and faced the same problem - got rejected from both after the car crash VIs lol. Rn I'm thinking I've screwed up yet another VI and ruined my chances again :( I'm just very disheartened that I'm not even getting through to AC because I'm struggling so much with VIs

I know that VIs are supposed to help bring your application to life, but can anyone here share tips on how not come across as too tense and how to keep your nerves under enough control to not stutter and speak too fast?

And from a grad rec perspective @Jessica Booker have you ever found yourself still progressing a candidate even though he/she stuttered a bit or seemed a little flustered but still managed to deliver good points across in the recording? Or is it so competitive that only the recordings with good substance in their answers, as well as being well-structured and well-composed (i.e. near perfect) get progressed to the next stage?

Also in case anyone wondering...
    Opportunity I applied for: London 2024 Training Contract
    Deadline: 15 July 2022
    I applied on: 15 July 2022
    Received VI invite: 17 August 2022 (you have 5 days from when you receive the invite to complete the VI on Launchpad) VI recordings are reviewed on a rolling basis.
    VI format: 3 questions total; 15 seconds prep time before each question, recording lasts for 90 seconds. You are not allowed to re-record.
    Feeling nervous is totally normal because VIs can feel unfamiliar and uncomfortable. I've found that my nervousness almost got worse the more I'd focus on the fact that I was probably coming off as nervous- do you think this could have been case for you?

I'm also gonna link a short post I made on VIs in case you'd like some of my tips on how to come across as being less nervous in a VI.

As for whether you can still progress- it depends on a few other factors beyond your performance on the VI like the number of spaces on the AC versus the number of great performances to shortlist, a grade here or there, how suitable the route you've chosen to apply through is to your background etc. I'm sure people who've seemed a little flustered have progressed in the past, but it would probably not be in isolation to these other factors I've stated above.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alison C

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just did my White & Case video interview.. I had prepared answers for just about every question that showed up and rehearsed them beforehand but when it came to the actual recording I was so nervous that I just couldn't stop stuttering 😭

I got invited to 2 video interviews last cycle and faced the same problem - got rejected from both after the car crash VIs lol. Rn I'm thinking I've screwed up yet another VI and ruined my chances again :( I'm just very disheartened that I'm not even getting through to AC because I'm struggling so much with VIs

I know that VIs are supposed to help bring your application to life, but can anyone here share tips on how not come across as too tense and how to keep your nerves under enough control to not stutter and speak too fast?

And from a grad rec perspective @Jessica Booker have you ever found yourself still progressing a candidate even though he/she stuttered a bit or seemed a little flustered but still managed to deliver good points across in the recording? Or is it so competitive that only the recordings with good substance in their answers, as well as being well-structured and well-composed (i.e. near perfect) get progressed to the next stage?

Also in case anyone wondering...
    Opportunity I applied for: London 2024 Training Contract
    Deadline: 15 July 2022
    I applied on: 15 July 2022
    Received VI invite: 17 August 2022 (you have 5 days from when you receive the invite to complete the VI on Launchpad) VI recordings are reviewed on a rolling basis.
    VI format: 3 questions total; 15 seconds prep time before each question, recording lasts for 90 seconds. You are not allowed to re-record.
    Hey @jo

Yes - occasionally stumbling over words or seeming a bit flustered is fine as long as you are communicating relevant/good content and keeping your answers still well structured. Recruiters recognise that video interviews are a slightly false environment and that communication skills are often developed with time and confidence anyway.

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    Feeling nervous is totally normal because VIs can feel unfamiliar and uncomfortable. I've found that my nervousness almost got worse the more I'd focus on the fact that I was probably coming off as nervous- do you think this could have been case for you?

I'm also gonna link a short post I made on VIs in case you'd like some of my tips on how to come across as being less nervous in a VI.

As for whether you can still progress- it depends on a few other factors beyond your performance on the VI like the number of spaces on the AC versus the number of great performances to shortlist, a grade here or there, how suitable the route you've chosen to apply through is to your background etc. I'm sure people who've seemed a little flustered have progressed in the past, but it would probably not be in isolation to these other factors I've stated above.
    Hi @AvniD thanks for this. To answer your Q, I don't think me worrying about coming across as nervous is what makes it worse.

I've tried to reflect and pinpoint what causes me to stumble, and I think it might be due to the fact that I can't think quickly enough to adapt my answers to the question asked. For some of the VIs I've done in the past, the questions I prepped for were actually awfully similar to the questions asked - to do well in answering, I probably just needed to reframe/restructure/tweak my answer on the spot to answer the question properly. So I think it's probably not solely the stuttering/coming across as nervous (i.e. the delivery) that's getting me rejected - and it probably has more to do with me not having a good answer to start with (i.e. the content). And so I think the recording may come across as me dodging/only answering half the question.

And because there's always only so little prep time from between you are shown the question and when the camera starts rolling, I struggle to process what I've just been asked, let alone reframe my answer on the spot. Could this just be due to lack of practice? To prep for VIs I would usually prep a list of potential questions and answers, read them out to myself and time myself to make sure each response lasts only max 90 seconds - I would also practice until I'm comfortable with saying my response naturally/not coming off as too rehearsed. Or have I just been going about VI prep wrongly? How do you practice thinking on your feet and train yourself to reframe your answers on the spot when asked a slightly different question each time?

Reactions: zizszhplum

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker has confirmed they will be predominately be recruiting for 2025 start, though there may be some 2024 starts available here
    Yes - I'd look at their profiles on Lawcareers.net to see what intakes they are recruiting for this year and the winter schemes will correlate to those intakes.

Reactions: applicationqs

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hi @AvniD thanks for this. To answer your Q, I don't think me worrying about coming across as nervous is what makes it worse.

I've tried to reflect and pinpoint what causes me to stumble, and I think it might be due to the fact that I can't think quickly enough to adapt my answers to the question asked. For some of the VIs I've done in the past, the questions I prepped for were actually awfully similar to the questions asked - to do well in answering, I probably just needed to reframe/restructure/tweak my answer on the spot to answer the question properly. So I think it's probably not solely the stuttering/coming across as nervous (i.e. the delivery) that's getting me rejected - and it probably has more to do with me not having a good answer to start with (i.e. the content). And so I think the recording may come across as me dodging/only answering half the question.

And because there's always only so little prep time from between you are shown the question and when the camera starts rolling, I struggle to process what I've just been asked, let alone reframe my answer on the spot. Could this just be due to lack of practice? To prep for VIs I would usually prep a list of potential questions and answers, read them out to myself and time myself to make sure each response lasts only max 90 seconds - I would also practice until I'm comfortable with saying my response naturally/not coming off as too rehearsed. Or have I just been going about VI prep wrongly? How do you practice thinking on your feet and train yourself to reframe your answers on the spot when asked a slightly different question each time?
    For my VI practice, I'd keep pen and paper handy and 1) break down the question and 2) jot down the first few thoughts I'd have about it point-wise. I'd then create some sort of a mental structure of the way in which I wanted to answer the question and then just go for it, referring to the brief notes I'd made only where necessary. It wouldn't always be perfect, I'd stumble here and there and there would be some awkward pauses and endings, but at least my thought process was conveyed in a logical manner. Maybe you could try this?

I would also say that you cannot practice every single aspect of a VI, or the AC, even if you are tempted to do so. There is an element of thinking on your feet that you can't really finesse outside of doing a task real-time and you kind of just have to go in with the idea that you will mess up here and there but the whole point is to recover and move on to the next answer, the next task was without fixating too much on your mistake.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.