TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodles

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 16, 2023
    Hi everyone, I know I'm rather late to the party but after a disappointing round of vac scheme applications I arrive at the direct TC thread

I was wondering about everyone's experience with any insight days/firm events in the stretch coming up to TC deadlines?
    I, of course, attended open days/other events earlier this year, but now am tossing the net a little further out. I seem to be struggling to find many events I can attend to get some firm insights, especially as my uni here falls a tad short.

I might be rolling the light switch towards dim, but are there just far fewer events this time of year? If anyone has any recommendations I would be grateful!

• 🤝
    Reactions: BeGrateful.101

glaine

Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2023
    If you use chat gpt you can ask them to generate interview questions for specific topics , eg ‘can you give me some questions that test commercial awareness’ or ‘can you give me some questions that test communication skills’ and it gives you around 10 for each skill, so you can focus on particular skills
    To add on, I use prompts that ask for questions specific to the values of the firm. Do some research on the website and write down 5-6 key values/areas of their business, and use a prompt like "Imagine you are an interviewer at a company in X market concerned with X values. I'm a law student hoping to secure a trainee solicitor position at the firm. List five questions you might ask me, with a particular focus on commercial awareness".

lik0401

Legendary Member
  • Oct 30, 2022
    Hi - has/is anyone applying to Orrick and/or Morgan Lewis and/or McDermott Will & Emery for direct TCs, and know how many people are typically recruited from the direct TC pool, as opposed to the Vacation Scheme pool? Also, if anyone has applied to these firms before for direct TC, when do they typically get back to you - is it post deadline (i.e. in summer)?

lawful_neutral216

Valued Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 5, 2020
    Hi - has/is anyone applying to Orrick and/or Morgan Lewis and/or McDermott Will & Emery for direct TCs, and know how many people are typically recruited from the direct TC pool, as opposed to the Vacation Scheme pool? Also, if anyone has applied to these firms before for direct TC, when do they typically get back to you - is it post deadline (i.e. in summer)?
    Hi there- I will be applying to Morgan Lewis and this was in their training brochure. From the wording it seems like they get back to people after the July deadline.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 23.41.44.png
      Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 23.41.44.png
      126.8 KB · Views: 40
    • Love
    Reactions: lik0401

hkulsk2021

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 11, 2022
    I heard McDermott has stopped recruiting trainees for a year. Have you got any other information on their trainee recruitment?

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    I heard McDermott has stopped recruiting trainees for a year. Have you got any other information on their trainee recruitment?

I did a bit of research on MWE last year as I considered applying. They only seemed to mention the SQE exams, eg. Don’t make non-law sit the PGDL. Therefore, their recruitment seems to spill over into the next year. A quick Google brings up lawcareers.net saying their TC deadline will be October 2023, and MWE’s application site still has last year’s link which suggests it hasn’t opened yet this year. Hope that’s helpful ☺️

Re not recruiting trainees for a year, didn’t they only just reopen last year? As if so, I’d be surprised if they were shutting it down again already? Please could I ask where you heard this? Thanks ☺️

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.