Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey guys! Long time lurker but first time poster here :)

I was wondering if anyone here gone through an Experian background check (occupational history, credit, criminal check, etc)? I got offered a TC and the offer is conditional on passing the background check. Just wondering how intensive it is especially the occupational history part. The email from the firm said that I’ll need to supply references from all my employers over the last 5 years but one of my supervisors from a summer internship has since retired and is in very poor health. I don't think he'll be able to supply a reference. This was a remote internship at a small charity and my supervisor was really the only person I communicated with so I’m not sure who else could vouch for me other than the other intern on the project. Will Experian accept other proof that I worked there (ie email communication during the internship)?

Furthermore, my work experience has all been either University society-related, unpaid internships, or volunteer roles. No paid work experience at all. In this case, how will Experian check these? Some roles have been more formal than others so I have signed contracts/agreements with the organisations that I could supply Experian with but no payslips or formal employment contracts.

I've not yet been sent the link to the Experian Platform but I've been working everything up in my head and am starting to feel a bit nervous about these factors. Any insight would be very appreciated!
Any reference process will try to be as thorough as possible so it can be quite intensive.

For the charity internship, they will try to contact someone else in the organisation that can verify you worked there. Its unlikely only one person knew of your placement and therefore they will typically seek confirmation from someone else (usually HR). If they cannot verify it, then they will seek alternative means. For instance, I had a recruitment agency who flat refused to confirm I had worked through them (as they had wiped my data from their systems were so much time had passed) and instead, I showed my bank statements that confirmed I received payments from them for the months I worked through them. Similar approaches can be taken, either with written confirmation of your placement you received at the time or even some form of personal reference from someone you know personally (non-family and in a recognised profession) who can say you did these roles. For instance, my work history is quite difficult to provide references for where I am self-employed, and so employers have taken references from a CFO I went to university with and also my accountant who "vouched" for my character.

University society involvement is unlikely to be checked - its not considered employment.

Any volunteer roles/unpaid internships (especially if they are you only forms of "employment") could be confirmed by alternative methods (like those listed above).

The only time you ever have to worry about reference checks is if you have lied - so generally there is nothing to worry about here.

gigi123

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 23, 2022
Any reference process will try to be as thorough as possible so it can be quite intensive.

For the charity internship, they will try to contact someone else in the organisation that can verify you worked there. Its unlikely only one person knew of your placement and therefore they will typically seek confirmation from someone else (usually HR). If they cannot verify it, then they will seek alternative means. For instance, I had a recruitment agency who flat refused to confirm I had worked through them (as they had wiped my data from their systems were so much time had passed) and instead, I showed my bank statements that confirmed I received payments from them for the months I worked through them. Similar approaches can be taken, either with written confirmation of your placement you received at the time or even some form of personal reference from someone you know personally (non-family and in a recognised profession) who can say you did these roles. For instance, my work history is quite difficult to provide references for where I am self-employed, and so employers have taken references from a CFO I went to university with and also my accountant who "vouched" for my character.

University society involvement is unlikely to be checked - its not considered employment.

Any volunteer roles/unpaid internships (especially if they are you only forms of "employment") could be confirmed by alternative methods (like those listed above).

The only time you ever have to worry about reference checks is if you have lied - so generally there is nothing to worry about here.
This was really helpful- thanks so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you don't have any experience with a firm, how would you go about justifying applying there or wanting to train there?
You don’t have to have experience with the firm - most applicants won’t have anyway meaningful interaction anyway.

Research will help focus your answers. It’s also important to be self-reflective - try to work out what is important to you, whether it’s the type of work, cultural aspects, ways of working, training opportunities etc.

You’ll then lead with yourself. This is actually the most important part of an application. Your answers are not really about the firm, they are actually about you first. You then just have to align the firm with what those wants/aspirations are.

• ℹ️
Reactions: irenard, Alison C and Adrian_S

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
If you don't have any experience with a firm, how would you go about justifying applying there or wanting to train there?
I would suggest looking out for any virtual events of webinars they may be doing or reading articles posted by the firm on their website/socials to show that you have put in the effort to get to know the firm beyond just its practice areas and rankings. You could also follow current trainees on social media to get an insight into what working at the firm is like and the things that set its TC apart.

Apart from these things, ensuring that you undertake really in-depth research is very important, as @Jessica Booker said. I used these research grids that a future trainee on had posted about on Instagram and they were exceedingly helpful in organising my research and giving me pointers on what I should be looking at.

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    How recent should a news story be when discussing at interview?
    I always try and find something that I can talk about that's within the month.

I dont know whether this is a reflection of me as a cynical person, but I feel that if its not as recent as possible, it may seem to the interviewer like I just use the same article for every interview and dont stay up to date with current affairs.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: futuretraineecity

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    How recent should a news story be when discussing at interview?
    It depends- it could be something that happened 6-12 months ago but has seen developments more recently, within a month or so. It could also be a completely fresh news story which is less than a couple months old. As long as you stay within 6-12 months from the date of your interview, it should be okay. The focus is more on whether you've understood the implication of the news story for the parties involved and possibly the firm and its clients.

• 🏆
    Reactions: futuretraineecity
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.