Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker, I hope you are well.

How do I go about approaching a question which says ‘ what are the things that have shaped you into the person you are today?’

do I need to link this to a career in commercial law/ being a lawyer?

& what type or examples would be suitable? for example, is talking about work experience suitable or are they looking for something abit deeper

thanks!
Hi @hopefullawyer123 - you don't need to directly link it to a career in commercial law/being a lawyer, but you may want to think about what elements of your characteristics align well with being a lawyer and focus on those aspects that have shaped those elements to you.

Any examples are going to be suitable. It doesn't have to be work experience - it could just be life experience. I would really try and boil it down simplistically - what has shaped you as a person, I don't think you need to overthink it or try to be clever with it, it could be really straightforward things that have created/influenced who you are.

Reactions: hopefullawyer123

mkap

Star Member
Dec 8, 2022
I have an interest in employment law so I was thinking of mentioning the firm’s expertise in this area. I am worried this may not answer the question since it is asking about why I want to pursue a career in commercial law in this particular firm.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have an interest in employment law so I was thinking of mentioning the firm’s expertise in this area. I am worried this may not answer the question since it is asking about why I want to pursue a career in commercial law in this particular firm.
If the firm has a strength in employment law and you are likely to sit in this department during your training contract, that would be fine to include. You may just want to supplement this with other aspects as to why you want to be a commercial lawyer at that firm.

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
Mar 2, 2020
Does anyone else’s freshfields application status say ‘in progress’ on the portal? I got an email saying it wasn’t complete yet as I still needed to do the rare questionnaire, but I only received that notification today, so not sure if it’s actually submitted or not

gw9

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 28, 2022
Does anyone else’s freshfields application status say ‘in progress’ on the portal? I got an email saying it wasn’t complete yet as I still needed to do the rare questionnaire, but I only received that notification today, so not sure if it’s actually submitted or not
Mine says 'in progress' too. :)

tkwillbealawyer

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 21, 2022
    My Freshfields application status still says 'in progress' but I've submitted the Rare Questionnaire about 15 minutes ago - is this normal? Also, I can't figure out how to log into Workday, so I just used the link to the questionnaire that was embedded in the email. Did anyone else do the same or am I missing something?

futuretraineecity

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Mar 2, 2020
    My Freshfields application status still says 'in progress' but I've submitted the Rare Questionnaire about 15 minutes ago - is this normal? Also, I can't figure out how to log into Workday, so I just used the link to the questionnaire that was embedded in the email. Did anyone else do the same or am I missing something?
    Hey, above this post I spoke about having the same worry today 😊sounds like it’s fine if it’s happened to both of us

• 🤝
    Reactions: tkwillbealawyer

jomar

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    I did the same

• 🤝
    Reactions: tkwillbealawyer

traineesolicitor123

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 16, 2022
    Hey, I did the same. This seems to be happening to everyone, so I'm sure it'd be fine! Also, when I submitted the Rare Questionnaire, it said that the Application was complete. So I think the Questionnaire was the only remaining step!

tkwillbealawyer

Star Member
    Premium Member
  • Feb 21, 2022
    Hey, I did the same. This seems to be happening to everyone, so I'm sure it'd be fine! Also, when I submitted the Rare Questionnaire, it said that the Application was complete. So I think the Questionnaire was the only remaining step!
    Hey, thanks for replying! Mine still says 'in progress' even though I've submitted the questionnaire, but since it seems like a common problem it should be alright I hope!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.