TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

MH

Star Member
Jan 12, 2022
Hi everyone,
I am planning on applying to Brown Rudnick but slightly confused about their application process.
The site says that candidates would have to be completing or have completed the necessary post-grad studies by September 2023, with the only option for education being a graduate degree and LPC status being required.
Does this mean I would have to have completed the LPC to apply? I am currently pursuing an LLM in the US and planned on taking the SQE route as the LPC is becoming increasingly irrelevant. LLM is also not an option under Graduate studies.
Apologies if the answer seems fairly obvious, but I am very confused about this and could not find information anywhere regarding this!
Email grad rec if in doubt

TCAS

Standard Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 12, 2019
    Hi All,

On the recent news story/deal question - how recent does the deal need to be. For example, is okay to mention deals that occured in 2021?

Last edited:

average_jo123

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 11, 2021
    Hogan Lovells TC offer! Thank you to everyone on this forum who helped me along the way! ♥️
    Hiya, I was wondering when you applied, when you sat for the WG and when did you sit the AC?

Also do you by any chance know whats the percentage of candidates they take from direct TC vs their vac schemes? I managed to get fast tracked to an AC through gaining a place on HL Lift Off but I opted for a summer vac scheme AC instead of direct TC. Now I'm wondering if I should have gone for direct TC instead.

DimpledHopper

Star Member
    Sep 20, 2021
    Hiya, I was wondering when you applied, when you sat for the WG and when did you sit the AC?

Also do you by any chance know whats the percentage of candidates they take from direct TC vs their vac schemes? I managed to get fast tracked to an AC through gaining a place on HL Lift Off but I opted for a summer vac scheme AC instead of direct TC. Now I'm wondering if I should have gone for direct TC instead.
    Hi, congrats on the AC!

I applied on 29 Sept, did the WG on 24 Oct, did the AC on 10 Jan and then got the offer on 11 Jan.

I don't know the exact % split between trainees taken from VS and direct TC. However, on their open day GR said they take most of their trainees from their VS and only "top up" through direct TC applications. If anything, you have a higher chance of securing a TC through their VS so I wouldn't worry! Good luck on your AC :D

Edit: re "topping up", I'll be joining the 2024 intake, not 2025.

Last edited:

CorpLawyer00

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 8, 2022
    Hi, congrats on the AC!

I applied on 29 Sept, did the WG on 24 Oct, did the AC on 10 Jan and then got the offer on 11 Jan.

I don't know the exact % split between trainees taken from VS and direct TC. However, on their open day GR said they take most of their trainees from their VS and only "top up" through direct TC applications. If anything, you have a higher chance of securing a TC through their VS so I wouldn't worry! Good luck on your AC :D

Edit: re "topping up", I'll be joining the 2024 intake, not 2025.
    Congrats legend

• Love
    Reactions: DimpledHopper

hopefullawyer123

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 25, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker - thanks for responding earlier to my previous question.

I am looking into a question of what differentiates the firm from its competitors ( from a client perspective) - I have read that the firm doesn’t work on billable hour targets - would this count as a valid point to make?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker - thanks for responding earlier to my previous question.

I am looking into a question of what differentiates the firm from its competitors ( from a client perspective) - I have read that the firm doesn’t work on billable hour targets - would this count as a valid point to make?
    Yes, it can be a valid point but you’d need to explain how this approach impacts clients and in particular makes the firm more attractive than those who do use billable targets.

HopefulFutureTrainee123

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 26, 2022
    Hey all - anyone know about Baker Mckenzie and RPC's direct TC intake levels? i.e. has there been a 'decent' amount of direct TC success stories for these firms?
    I've heard of people gaining direct TCs from BM - I think they actually take quite a few through this route! I regret not applying to their VS, so I'm hoping to try and apply directly.

jomar

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 20, 2022
    Just realised now that Freshfields has a template for its personal statement, which I did not use. Hope someone else gets the WG and uses it to their advantage.

gw9

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 28, 2022
    Just realised now that Freshfields has a template for its personal statement, which I did not use. Hope someone else gets the WG and uses it to their advantage.
    I don't think you have to use it anymore! If you search 'freshfields template' on the forums there's plenty of people saying they couldn't find it.

BM99

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 12, 2021
    I applied to the graduate workshop without using a template and still got accepted, so it’s definitely fine to not use the template in this cycle

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.