TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

wz_13

Distinguished Member
Jan 3, 2023
How much experience does the government GLD TC expect - i dont have any legal experience and limited experience otherwise. Are they on the same bar as firm TCs in terms of expectations

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 23, 2020
Hi @Jessica Booker / anyone who can assist.

I recently received a full-time job offer (not law) but I have a summer VS coming up that I am hoping to convert to a TC (the TC is for 2025)

Hypothetically if I were to be successful in converting the VS, would I be able to accept the non-law job offer AND complete the GDL / SQE such that I can work 2023-25 with income and also be studying towards becoming a lawyer:

That is:
- Do firms ever specify in their contracts (e.g., GDL grants) that you can't study and also work for another employer?
- How manageable is the workload? I.e., Is GDL / SQE a full-time endeavour such that working full-time is impossible?

I ask so I can make an informed decision as to whether to accept this full-time job or continue applying for TCs.

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker / anyone who can assist.

I recently received a full-time job offer (not law) but I have a summer VS coming up that I am hoping to convert to a TC (the TC is for 2025)

Hypothetically if I were to be successful in converting the VS, would I be able to accept the non-law job offer AND complete the GDL / SQE such that I can work 2023-25 with income and also be studying towards becoming a lawyer:

That is:
- Do firms ever specify in their contracts (e.g., GDL grants) that you can't study and also work for another employer?
- How manageable is the workload? I.e., Is GDL / SQE a full-time endeavour such that working full-time is impossible?

I ask so I can make an informed decision as to whether to accept this full-time job or continue applying for TCs.

Thanks!
Highly unlikely that you’ll be able to do manage a full-time job and the GDL full-time too - some people do the GDL part time alongside working full timebut that would take you two years instead of one and therefore delay your start date by a year.

Even if you attempted it, I am not sure why you would put yourself under that level of pressure. Working full time and studying part time is difficult enough.

You can just resign from your job If it starts and you then have to start the GDL or renege the offer. I don’t think you have to give up the job just yet.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    Just got my PFO yesterday :/ Guess working for Ashurst doesn’t help lol
    paralegals in city firms dont get any privileges either. it's bizarre, you could work in that firm for years doing the same work as trainees, yet they more often than not give a TC to a vac schemer that's been with them for 4 days - 3 weeks over paralegals doing trainee work with them for so long...

Last edited:

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    Hi, writing a cover letter for an application. do i need to include my address and the firm's address at the top? It is copied into a text box on the application portal and so formatting will change and worried about word count! thanks !

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, writing a cover letter for an application. do i need to include my address and the firm's address at the top? It is copied into a text box on the application portal and so formatting will change and worried about word count! thanks !
    If it’s part of an application form like this, then I don’t think it is needed. It’s only really if you are applying just with a CV and cover letter with no online form that the address formalities are needed

LegalC

Star Member
    Aug 23, 2022
    Does anyone know when a TC salary gets advertised on a firm’s website, is that the current trainee salary ie what existing trainees at the firm are on, or will this still be the salary once you start? Only wondering as I know trainee salaries generally get reviewed every year

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know when a TC salary gets advertised on a firm’s website, is that the current trainee salary ie what existing trainees at the firm are on, or will this still be the salary once you start? Only wondering as I know trainee salaries generally get reviewed every year
    Salaries are unlikely to increase every year. Sometimes salaries have remained fairly flat for several years, and so it could easily be what your offer letter states. Salaries may be reviewed regularly but it doesn’t mean that a salary increases because of it.

I would therefore expect to get what your offer letter states and if you get more consider it a bonus.

Last edited:
    Reactions: LegalC and LlamaLaw
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.