TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

M0M007

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Apr 6, 2023
100 words per point is quite a lot (roughly 3-4 sentences). I am sure this should be sufficient, but if you want to go for one main point that is fine, especially if you feel you can leverage other evidence elsewhere that would showcase your motivations.
Hello @Jessica Booker with regards to this, I am finding 100 words per point difficult because it does not allow me to be specific or develop my points.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
"Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector" is one of the questions on the Hogan Lovells application form.
I have attended events related to a career at the Bar too, including open days at the Inns of Court - is it worth mentioning these? If only to use them as an example of why I chose the solicitor route instead?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
"Tell us about any open days and events that you have attended in the legal sector" is one of the questions on the Hogan Lovells application form.
I have attended events related to a career at the Bar too, including open days at the Inns of Court - is it worth mentioning these? If only to use them as an example of why I chose the solicitor route instead?
You may want to group them together rather than listing them all out - eg “I attended X, Y, Z events to find out more about alternative legal careers. Attending these events confirmed I was more suited to a career as a solicitor”

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Aug 18, 2022
You may want to group them together rather than listing them all out - eg “I attended X, Y, Z events to find out more about alternative legal careers. Attending these events confirmed I was more suited to a career as a solicitor”
Thanks Jessica.
Another small question, when mentioning open days / personal networking, is it appropriate to use acronyms (mainly to save on word count - I am about 10 words over) - e,g. NRF for Norton Rose Fulbright?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks Jessica.
Another small question, when mentioning open days / personal networking, is it appropriate to use acronyms (mainly to save on word count - I am about 10 words over) - e,g. NRF for Norton Rose Fulbright?
I personally wouldn’t unless the firm uses the acronym themselves.

This thread gives some useful examples of how you can save word count though in other ways:

lw2000

Distinguished Member
Aug 19, 2021
I have an interview at Simkins - they said I didn't need to prep anything and we would just go through my application, but does anyone have any previous experience with them and tips on things likely to come up?
Hey I also have an interview, no previous experience but I've been going through my application and trying to come up with follow up questions they could ask based on the points I made

• 🤝
Reactions: littlecat

CallumJR

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jul 16, 2020
Has anyone NOT heard from Forsters / did people already hear back with PFO?

I am asking because my app was moved from VS to direct TC (was not eligible to apply for the VS) and I know they have already sent out AC invites.

Reactions: Raynz

wz_13

Distinguished Member
Jan 3, 2023
What specifically are the SQE questions?

Sounds like the cover letter should be more motivational based. Are you being asked about why the firm in the application?
Sorry the sqe was a typo it was meant to be some! but the questions are:
  • Covering Letter -350 words
  • Work History – 250 words each
  • Legal Work Exposure (open days, vac schemes, shadowing, commitment to law)
  • How do I fill up my time outside work and studying and why? – 300 words
  • Positions of responsibility held and skills developed
  • What makes Farrer stand out – 300 words
  • Particularly challenging experience and how I dealt with it

Reactions: laurabeaumont

Phoebe123451

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 19, 2022
    I've let it sink in a little bit and yet it still feels ridiculously surreal but, last week, I received a TC offer!!!! I cannot stress how this would not have been achieved if it were not for the resources, and guidance, of TCLA and its wider community.

Thank you to everyone for their wonderful support this cycle <3; if anyone has any questions, I would love to continue the kindness shown to me by so many of TCLA's finest!!!!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Sorry the sqe was a typo it was meant to be some! but the questions are:
    • Covering Letter -350 words
    • Work History – 250 words each
    • Legal Work Exposure (open days, vac schemes, shadowing, commitment to law)
    • How do I fill up my time outside work and studying and why? – 300 words
    • Positions of responsibility held and skills developed
    • What makes Farrer stand out – 300 words
    • Particularly challenging experience and how I dealt with it
    Cover letter should focus on your motivations then - there is a slight overlap with the what makes Farrer stand out question, but I think you can talk about things that are important to you but maybe don’t “stand out” in the cover letter as to why you applied to them.

Reactions: wz_13

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I've let it sink in a little bit and yet it still feels ridiculously surreal but, last week, I received a TC offer!!!! I cannot stress how this would not have been achieved if it were not for the resources, and guidance, of TCLA and its wider community.

Thank you to everyone for their wonderful support this cycle <3; if anyone has any questions, I would love to continue the kindness shown to me by so many of TCLA's finest!!!!!
    Star Trek Applause GIF

Amazing news - congratulations!

• Love
    Reactions: Phoebe123451
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.