Status
Not open for further replies.

aspiringlawyerr

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 7, 2022
I can’t quite believe I’m writing this… I have now received two Training Contract offers over the last week!!! 🤩🥳🥳 It feels completely surreal.

I want to say a massive thank you to the whole of the TCLA team, especially @Jessica Booker who has always been there to answer any questions or reassure me on a phone call. I also want to say thank you to anyone who has helped me along my journey, I couldn’t have done it alone!

The process of getting a TC involves (at least it did for me) plenty of rejection and disappointment, so my tips are to:

(1) Join lots of forums on TCLA and interact with as many people you can. I have had my nerves calmed/questions answered by countless people on this platform.

(2) Paralegal if you are a graduate. This might not be for everyone, but working for a law firm has taught me so much about the “work of a trainee”. It definitely helped my applications/interviews!

(3) Get TCLA Gold Membership. I remember thinking at the start, omg this is expensive / I’m not sure whether I should do it - but in the end decided that 5 hours working behind a bar was worth being able to view countless *successful* applications. And I was right! Even if you only subscribe for a couple of months, get on there and read what a successful application looks like. Have an application reviewed! This will help you more than anything else if you can’t get through that first stage!!

I’m always happy to answer any questions that anyone might have, just DM me!

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
I received an email to take the WG on Monday with a deadline of 9am this morning. They said they would be sending out invitations for interviews for week beginning 10 July based on the results.
Sorry but they review applications on a non-rolling basis (deadline 30th June) and you get progressed on the 3rd ?

Reactions: Natcameron1

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
How much should you talk about past vacation schemes in a personal statement if there is also a work experience section in the application? Right now I'm just drawing on it to back up my motivation for commercial law as well as specific practice areas. I don't go in much detail of concrete work I've done or skills I build, as it is in the work experience section. Not sure if the section is always read though, or if it's only read if the personal statement is deemed good. Thanks!!
Definitely no need to repeat it - I would focus more on what you enjoyed about the work/how that motivates you to do the job you are applying to, rather than focusing on what you did.

Reactions: hollahollaholla

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I can’t quite believe I’m writing this… I have now received two Training Contract offers over the last week!!! 🤩🥳🥳 It feels completely surreal.

I want to say a massive thank you to the whole of the TCLA team, especially @Jessica Booker who has always been there to answer any questions or reassure me on a phone call. I also want to say thank you to anyone who has helped me along my journey, I couldn’t have done it alone!

The process of getting a TC involves (at least it did for me) plenty of rejection and disappointment, so my tips are to:

(1) Join lots of forums on TCLA and interact with as many people you can. I have had my nerves calmed/questions answered by countless people on this platform.

(2) Paralegal if you are a graduate. This might not be for everyone, but working for a law firm has taught me so much about the “work of a trainee”. It definitely helped my applications/interviews!

(3) Get TCLA Gold Membership. I remember thinking at the start, omg this is expensive / I’m not sure whether I should do it - but in the end decided that 5 hours working behind a bar was worth being able to view countless *successful* applications. And I was right! Even if you only subscribe for a couple of months, get on there and read what a successful application looks like. Have an application reviewed! This will help you more than anything else if you can’t get through that first stage!!

This is amazing news!! Double the congratulations on two offers (and thank you for your kind words!).

Excited Ashley Olsen GIF by Filmeditor

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

This is amazing to read. Really well done - you should be very proud of yourself :)

Mike Wazaoski

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 12, 2018
    Any pointers for someone making a direct TC application after being rejected from the vacation scheme assessment centre in the same cycle? I sent a DSAR for my feedback so am very clear on the action points. Contacted graduate recruitment about what to highlight and they mentioned mainly changes you made from the feedback received but also why commitment to the firm itself (especially if via direct TC).

Was there anything else to keep in mind based on your experiences? (This is for Macfarlanes btw - chaotic assessment centre)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    How long does it usually take for the premium database membership request to be approved?
    If you PM me proof of purchase, I can do this as soon as I see the message. Unfortunately I don’t have access to information outside of the forums so wouldn’t be able to see this information, hence why I would need it sent to me.

Reactions: tiffany87

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Any pointers for someone making a direct TC application after being rejected from the vacation scheme assessment centre in the same cycle? I sent a DSAR for my feedback so am very clear on the action points. Contacted graduate recruitment about what to highlight and they mentioned mainly changes you made from the feedback received but also why commitment to the firm itself (especially if via direct TC).

Was there anything else to keep in mind based on your experiences? (This is for Macfarlanes btw - chaotic assessment centre)
    How long since your VS?

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023

This is AMAZING news! Congratulations, so so happy for you!

• Love
    Reactions: aspiringlawyerr
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.