TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgc

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 25, 2023
what is the point of questions asking what you do outside work and study - what could be some things a firm is looking out for if anyone has any insight?
I assume they are looking to see the depth of your character. All of your experiences make you unique and mean you bring diversity of thought and experience to an organisation.

• Love
Reactions: OB and wz_13

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
what is the point of questions asking what you do outside work and study - what could be some things a firm is looking out for if anyone has any insight?
They want to see that you keep yourself busy, have interest that keep you grounded (eg you are not a workaholic) and that you potentially do things that align with their values.

wz_13

Distinguished Member
Jan 3, 2023
They want to see that you keep yourself busy, have interest that keep you grounded (eg you are not a workaholic) and that you potentially do things that align with their values.
i see! Would spending time with family and friends as one of these things be a weak answer (i can connect this with communication skills and nurturing relationships perhaps)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
i see! Would spending time with family and friends as one of these things be a weak answer (i can connect this with communication skills and nurturing relationships perhaps)
Not really - this is something everyone ultimately does. It needs to be something more unique and also ideally something that either hones skills/knowledge, or has a positive impact on others.

Reactions: wz_13 and NJS

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
They ask cause they want to get more of a sense of your personality beyond what's on paper. For people still in university, I assume they want to hear about your extracurriculars (any clubs/sports/societies you have joined or have leadership roles in if applicable). For people who graduated or aren't part of any societies, I think they wanna hear about any personal hobbies then which are non-professional in nature and showcase something that you are interested in. For example playing an instrument/going on runs or bike rides/making art/learning a language for fun. It's a good opportunity for you to show them what makes you an interesting and holistic person.

NMA

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 19, 2020
Anyone know if you can apply to White & Case's direct TC in the same cycle after applying for their vac scheme but not progressing to the AC for it?

19vanessat

Feb 23, 2022
just did one of those recorded video interviews for WFW! ahh those are so nerve-wracking, i feel so unnatural doing these haha, also felt like i got two words cut off at the end of an answer.. hopefully they don't mind it bc i was already clearly concluding

legallyblonde500

Standard Member
Jan 14, 2023
Just got an interview for Arnold & Porter's 2025 direct TC, it is in person and next Monday which is very soon. I was hoping someone had some insights about the written exercise and fee-earner interview. (Ie. is it competency based etc) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.