TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

RANDOTRON

Esteemed Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 11, 2021
    Just got an interview for Arnold & Porter's 2025 direct TC, it is in person and next Monday which is very soon. I was hoping someone had some insights about the written exercise and fee-earner interview. (Ie. is it competency based etc) Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi there, I didn't interview at A&P so I won't be able to comment specifically. However, I did find the following which I thought might be helpful. It is from 2018 so it might be outdated. I have also attached this link which lists 260+ common interview questions. Some of them are basically the same question, so I would not necessarily practice all of them.

Good luck!
    When was your Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholar interview?

April 2018

What was it for?

Vacation scheme

Please describe the interview process at Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholar.

First you are taken to a room to read a problem scenario on the EU regulation of [redacted] in electrical products. You play the role of a trainee and have to advise the client (the [redacted] manufacturer) on You are tasked with finding certain bits of information online (from a laptop) and you have to write a summary of your findings and send it to graduate recruitment in an email, who then pass it on the the 2 associates that will interview you.

You then get interviewed by the 2 associates who will ask you questions based on the scenario as well as motivation, competency and commercial awareness questions. After this you meet a trainee who will give you a tour of the office and answer any questions you have.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholar interview?

You will be given around 30 minutes to prepare your answers for the scenario and the interview itself lasts for around 45 minutes. The trainee tour and questions will take around 20 minutes.

The interview is quite hard as they really stretch your commercial awareness. It would be useful to research the firm's practice areas and sectors before the interview. You can't really prepare for the problem scenario as they base it on a topic they know you won't have come across before. Just make sure you manage your time will and focus on the key bits of information that you find online. Make sure you have questions to ask the interviewers at the end and try to come across and friendly and confident.

Reactions: legallyblonde500

ZiHe77

Standard Member
    Apr 12, 2023
    For those of who you have passed multiple recorded video interviews - how have you done it?

I've taken the approach of including structure, highlighting the firm, my experience and my ambitions, and attempting to appear as though I am having a nice chat with the computer screen by looking positive and conversational. Still, my success rate is very low! Anyone nailed it? What do you do!?

Is less more? I.e. to the question 'Why us?', rather than squeeze in 3 reasons why I like the firm, should I focus on one and really elaborate on it?

lolita98

Mar 24, 2023
    I emailed Withers Grad Recruitment about this and they said that they do not automatically send the test to everyone, they review applications and then send the tests to select individuals. Hope that helps!
    although, their application is so small i doubt they are very selective to start before sending the test!! as they cant possibly gauge that much about the person with 60 word answers.

spamelinazoid

Legendary Member
  • Dec 19, 2021
    I heard that White & Case mainly recruit from their VS rather than the TC and that their VS students this year were exceptional compared to last year 🥶
    a few people were rejected in spring from the vs so there should be at least a few spaces (not that that would fill me with too much hope), but at base level they didn't offer every spring schemer a tc.

WAL007

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Jun 19, 2022
    I am trying to submit the morgan lewis app but the website is crashing. Is anyone experiencing the same thing and what shall I do in this instance?

M0M007

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 6, 2023
    For anyone who had experience with paralegal roles at Flex Legal; after getting a text message about a role from a law firm or in house and agreeing to go forward, how long after that will you know whether you are accepted or rejected ?

futureTS2025hopeful

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 23, 2020
    For anyone who had experience with paralegal roles at Flex Legal; after getting a text message about a role from a law firm or in house and agreeing to go forward, how long after that will you know whether you are accepted or rejected ?
    Honestly I rarely say this but flex legal are the most unprofessional people I’ve met. I scheduled an on boarding call and spoke with harry (I think?) who was 10 minutes late and proceeded to do other work whilst on the onboarding call? I ignored their text messages after but good luck!

lolamcd1

Esteemed Member
    Feb 1, 2022
    I have just noticed a repeated sentence in one of the applications i had written. It is not a typo but reads really clunky and is a repeated phrase one sentence later. would this be enough for the application to be rejected?? gutted as i spent ages on this one :((

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.