TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Does anyone know if Mcdermott will are actually offering TC's this year, theres no mention of it on their website, but there is an application on their apply4law and its advertised on lawcareer! @Jessica Booker do you if this means they're offering them?
    a friend of mine interviewed for their direct TC back in easter time and didn't get it but think they gave a few out then!

Reactions: SaMi222 and NJS

NMA

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hey guys is it worth applying to white n case for their direct TC if I didn't succeed with their vac scheme earlier this year?
    I'm going to. Although I'm not too sure about whether I'm going to submit the same cover letter or not, as it got me through to the VI stage where I didn't progress. Any advice for this @Jessica Booker ? Should I just tweak it a bit to make it more concise than before/use new experiences? I was also going to use the same deal I spoke about before as it's still fairly recent.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know if Mcdermott will are actually offering TC's this year, theres no mention of it on their website, but there is an application on their apply4law and its advertised on lawcareer! @Jessica Booker do you if this means they're offering them?
    If there is an application on their website, it’s likely they are recruiting.

Reactions: NJS

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm going to. Although I'm not too sure about whether I'm going to submit the same cover letter or not, as it got me through to the VI stage where I didn't progress. Any advice for this @Jessica Booker ? Should I just tweak it a bit to make it more concise than before/use new experiences? I was also going to use the same deal I spoke about before as it's still fairly recent.
    I don’t recommend submitting the same cover letter. It should always be updated and refined where possible, and particularly highlight what has changed since your last application (otherwise the firm will just assume the same outcome as last time).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    If I applied to Hogan Lovells and was rejected back in December time, am I able to apply again now that their applications are open again? I can’t see an answer anywhere on their website
    If you don’t get an answer here, I would email them to ask/or contact them via their social media to see if you can get an answer there.

Milena Tsvetkova

Standard Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    Hey guys, does anyone know what standard is required to pass a VI and how to actually prepare. I always fail at this stage although I practice recording myself answering different questions and I think that for the majority of it I provide sensible answers and structure. I feel that probably my nerves/gestures fail me, which I do not how to overcome as I am frankly nervous when recording myself under time pressure.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Does anyone know which firms have training contract and vacation scheme opportunities in the middle east. I am looking at the middle east next application cycle. I know CC, A&0, Clyde and Stephenson Harwood have middle east training contract opportunities are there any other law firms.
    Hi @Asil Ahmad ,

I believe Norton Rose Fulbright, DLA Piper, Pinsent Masons and Eversheds do too!

Reactions: Asil Ahmad

Bubulubu

Standard Member
    Jun 28, 2022
    Hi @Jessica Booker. I have a question about applications where we are supposed to send in only a cover letter and a CV. I would like to know if we are supposed to list all our grades within the CV in the education section or it is supposed to be an extra page or couple of pages attached to the CV at the end where all grades are listed?

NMA

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 19, 2020
    Hi @Jessica Booker , what is the policy surrounding people who want to work as paralegals/administrators whilst applying for TCs? E.g. If I started an admin role this September and secure a 2025 TC at the same time, would I need to mention this to my employer especially as I know I'd be leaving after a year anyways to do the SQE in 2024.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker. I have a question about applications where we are supposed to send in only a cover letter and a CV. I would like to know if we are supposed to list all our grades within the CV in the education section or it is supposed to be an extra page or couple of pages attached to the CV at the end where all grades are listed?
    I would personally suggest including this in your CV within the two page limit and in the normal academic section.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi @Jessica Booker , what is the policy surrounding people who want to work as paralegals/administrators whilst applying for TCs? E.g. If I started an admin role this September and secure a 2025 TC at the same time, would I need to mention this to my employer especially as I know I'd be leaving after a year anyways to do the SQE in 2024.
    You need to check your employment contract but I suspect you’d have to declare any other employment - it’s a fairly standard clause for a law firm due to the conflicts checks that need to be considered.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.