Status
Not open for further replies.

born&raised

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 30, 2021
Does Freshfields sent out batches of WG? :( How long is the timeframe between receiving the email and having to do the test? thanks!
They usually do, but the Direct TC intake this year surprisingly only had one batch sent out. They give 3 days to do the test! :)
Edit: I'm talking about the window for which the deadline was in January!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: S87

kmo20

Legendary Member
Jan 20, 2023
For the Macfarlanes TC application question about an example where you have demonstrated resilience, can this be a personal example - such as an extenuating circumstance that had a big impact on my studies, and then how I overcame this? Just wondering if this would be ok or maybe I should focus on something related to work experience or a job.

Zaidoz10

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 6, 2022
They usually do, but the Direct TC intake this year surprisingly only had one batch sent out. They give 3 days to do the test! :)
Edit: I'm talking about the window for which the deadline was in January!
Wait sorry I’m a little confused. Are you saying this time they sent out only one batch? Or are you saying they sent out one batch for the January deadline one? Isn’t the January deadline for the vac scheme? They sent out the first batch of WG’s the day after the deadline for the direct TC. It’s hard to believe they got through all applications in less than a day. Grad rec said they usually take a while to fully get back to candidates so I wouldn’t stress guys!! I’m sure they’re sending in batches!

born&raised

Valued Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 30, 2021
Wait sorry I’m a little confused. Are you saying this time they sent out only one batch? Or are you saying they sent out one batch for the January deadline one? Isn’t the January deadline for the vac scheme? They sent out the first batch of WG’s the day after the deadline for the direct TC. It’s hard to believe they got through all applications in less than a day. Grad rec said they usually take a while to fully get back to candidates so I wouldn’t stress guys!! I’m sure they’re sending in batches!
I'm talking about the Winter Trainee Associate Programme 2025 window (Direct TC), for which the deadline was early January. They sent out the WG invites around a month after the deadline, and there was only one batch then. Sounds extremely unlikely that they got through all the apps in less than a day, so I think there should be more batches (they've sent multiple batches before!)

icl

Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 21, 2022
Does anyone know the standard response time for Orrick from the application stage to the interview/AC stage?

Wondering to contact grad recruitment for a rough timeline but also conscious that might just make them hate me.
I emailed them yesterday, they said they are hoping to get through all applications by this month

Reactions: bibss

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
I talked about mitigating circumstances in the application, but yes it was a case of not passing the exam the first time. I believe the firm shifted to the SQE so I’m not sure how much weight the LPC holds.

If there were definitive mitigating circumstances were you able to resit the exam without a cap? If there isn’t a cap, it is probably still considered a first-sit. If not, you have been up-front with your circumstances and it is for that firm to make a decision on the matter. Chatting with GR via email may be an option if you want a definitive answer before the review of the application. If not, there are likely firms who will still hold weight on the LPC even despite the re-sit!

Hope that helps :)

19vanessat

Feb 23, 2022
Hi! For those who are working and doing TC applications at the same time, how do you normally negotiate time off to do a law firm AC with your workplace? As sometimes law firms don't give you loads of time in advance to apply for time off and would I have to give a reason?

(for context, it's a new job, a startup, non-law related but it's my backup option).

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello @Jessica Booker , I hope you are doing well. I am currently applying to Latham's Direct TC and I have two questions:

1) For the "Why Latham" question, since they are highly ranked for several practice areas I am genuinely interested in, how would you suggest I explain my interest in their practice areas? Do I pick 1 only to maintain the depth of my answer?

2) For the following question; Please give details of your extra-curricular activities, and any prizes, scholarships, positions of responsibility, or noteworthy achievements that will support your application, would it be acceptable if I picked 3 specific activities/achievements/PoR and expand on them outlining the transferrable skills as well and then for the remaining activity/achievement/PoR, I simply list them?

I am asking because it seems that Latham removed the question of what transferrable skills will you bring to a trainee's role, so I wanted to fit both transferrable skills and all my other activity/achievement/PoR in the above bold question.

Thank you very much for always helping :)
I wouldn’t try to fit in the transferable skills just because the question is no longer asked. It could easily be something they no longer need from candidates. They are likely to be able to infer a lot of the skills by you explaining your impact in those roles (which is likely to be more of interest). I would try to include as much as possible that sells your impact in roles, especially if they bring more diversity to your application and show you have kept yourself busy/have multiple interests.

Personally, I would suggest covering multiple practice areas if they are areas you are interested in. However, it’s important to explain your interest and where it has come from, and so maybe focusing on two practice areas rather three or more may be better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.