TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
Just had a question if anyone could help. Would really appreciate your input @Jessica Booker ! I previously slipped up in a TC interview with Grad Recruitment when she asked about a recent deal that the firm had been involved in - I had not researched this. Since that interview, where I can, I try and talk about a recent deal and why it has interested me as my second or third point when answering "Why this firm?." However, I have another interview coming up with Grad Recruitment for a different firm and I am wondering whether I should just be waiting for the interviewer to specifically ask me about a deal before mentioning it as I don't want to get too ahead of myself, instead of mentioning it when asked "why this firm."

Reactions: lonelycruise

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Just had a question if anyone could help. Would really appreciate your input @Jessica Booker ! I previously slipped up in a TC interview with Grad Recruitment when she asked about a recent deal that the firm had been involved in - I had not researched this. Since that interview, where I can, I try and talk about a recent deal and why it has interested me as my second or third point when answering "Why this firm?." However, I have another interview coming up with Grad Recruitment for a different firm and I am wondering whether I should just be waiting for the interviewer to specifically ask me about a deal before mentioning it as I don't want to get too ahead of myself, instead of mentioning it when asked "why this firm."
Not Jessica obviously but I did face this exact issue while I was framing my answers to different questions. What I did was that I prepared two deals instead of jut one. One deal can be exhaustive and detailed and you could use this one for " A recent deal..?" but you could prepare another deal for your "Why this firm"

Reactions: laurabeaumont

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
Not Jessica obviously but I did face this exact issue while I was framing my answers to different questions. What I did was that I prepared two deals instead of jut one. One deal can be exhaustive and detailed and you could use this one for " A recent deal..?" but you could prepare another deal for your "Why this firm"
Amazing thank you so much, was thinking of doing this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I personally think talking about a deal only really works if you are explicitly asked to provide one.

I have seen people talk about deals in the motivations for a firm but you don’t need to describe the deal - the only bit that is relevant is why that work appeals to you. Remember that specific deal isn’t going to happen again, and so you won’t work on it, so describing it isn’t really useful in your answer. What’s more important is pulling out the themes as to why the deal aligns with your career aspirations.

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
I personally think talking about a deal only really works if you are explicitly asked to provide one.

I have seen people talk about deals in the motivations for a firm but you don’t need to describe the deal - the only bit that is relevant is why that work appeals to you. Remember that specific deal isn’t going to happen again, and so you won’t work on it, so describing it isn’t really useful in your answer. What’s more important is pulling out the themes as to why the deal aligns with your career aspirations.
Thanks so much Jessica, this makes sense!

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hi there - you can message Chloe directly via [email protected]
Hi, @Jessica Booker. Hope you are doing well. I had emailed Chloe regarding the issue but looks like she's missed my email. I have my mock interview with her tomorrow. I'd be grateful if you could pass on this message to her if possible so that she could incorporate the clarification. Thanks in advance.

Z_H02

Premium Member
Feb 14, 2022
Hogan Lovells graduate recruitment said that they will be sending out Watson Glaser tests in the next 3 weeks for anyone still waiting to receive the test post-application :)
HI! Thank you for the info. Does everyone submit before the deadline get a WG invitation? Since they review on rolling basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.