TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

bibss

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2020
To be fair to them, I have just seen that they have only recently held their SVS, so understandable why it's taking time.
I think they could have sent an email explaining that it may be some time before they respond! I just think most firms (not just in the legal sector) have no respect for job applicants! It’s disgusting 🤮 Wish I was born 50 years ago when people treated others with respect and decency! I once had a final interview for a VS at a US firm and was ghosted for weeks. Honestly, what the hell has gone wrong in this world! I would really like to see partners going through what we are all experiencing right now, most of them would not be sitting in their shiny offices :D

Reactions: Cryingtiger and CallumJR

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    I think they could have sent an email explaining that it may be some time before they respond! I just think most firms (not just in the legal sector) have no respect for job applicants! It’s disgusting 🤮 Wish I was born 50 years ago when people treated others with respect and decency! I once had a final interview for a VS at a US firm and was ghosted for weeks. Honestly, what the hell has gone wrong in this world! I would really like to see partners going through what we are all experiencing right now, most of them would not be sitting in their shiny offices :D
    Back to the days of a paper application sent in the post followed by a 1-hour interview haha!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi, @Jessica Booker. Hope you are doing well. I had emailed Chloe regarding the issue but looks like she's missed my email. I have my mock interview with her tomorrow. I'd be grateful if you could pass on this message to her if possible so that she could incorporate the clarification. Thanks in advance.
    I have flagged to Jaysen and Chloe

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Grateful for any advice on this - I am starting a paralegal job on Monday and hoping to complete some applications for the 31st July deadline. I'm not too sure how to talk about this experience as I imagine I won't have a complete idea of my roles and responsibilities within the first week as it seems to be mainly meetings and induction tasks. I do really want to include this as it is legal work experience but not sure how to go about it. Thanks.
    I would orient the discussion about the role about (1) what you have already done and achieved - ie work done and skills developed already (2) what I will be working on in the coming weeks/months - ie skills to be developed and work to be done - if you catch my drift?

Reactions: Cryingtiger

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    May 30, 2023
    Hello @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. A slightly weird question to ask but when should a candidate look enthusiastic? Throughout the interview or only when being asked motivational questions? I have seen that while answering competency questions, I am not enthusiastic at all because my focus shifts to nailing the STAR structure. I have seen this with other questions too that require a great amount of detail. What would your advice be?

Thanks.
    To add - the STAR method is a great structure to start with and apply, but slightly unrealistic with regard to the flow of a conversation. It can be a lot for you to be thinking about that rigid structure and keeping the conversation engaging for the interviewer. I am definitely not saying don't use a structure, but also cut yourself some slack in terms of applying it so rigidly. Talking about your experiences and what you have gained from them will come naturally if you have thought through them and what you developed before the interview!

• 🏆
    Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

Cryingtiger

Valued Member
    Dec 11, 2020
    HAHAHA THIS IS SO TRUE! Half of these partners I’ve encountered do not know basic conversions from word to pdf, it’s shocking! And they are on a ridiculous pay check! Woww

I took on a part time role during my second year of university as a legal assistant (at a US law firm) and three partners openly told me they just about passed their degrees and were handed their TCs back in the 80’s like it was water, honestly, it’s so tough now! But you got this! :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.