TCLA Direct Training Contract Applications Discussion Thread 2022-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
To add - the STAR method is a great structure to start with and apply, but slightly unrealistic with regard to the flow of a conversation. It can be a lot for you to be thinking about that rigid structure and keeping the conversation engaging for the interviewer. I am definitely not saying don't use a structure, but also cut yourself some slack in terms of applying it so rigidly. Talking about your experiences and what you have gained from them will come naturally if you have thought through them and what you developed before the interview!
Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was struggling with.

• Love
Reactions: laurabeaumont

Fd321

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Mar 3, 2023
Anyone heard from Boodle Hatfield
?
I just got a really random call from HR asking for my LPC grades even tho I applied for their VS and was rejected. I applied for both at the same time months ago. They said they’ll let me know if I’ve gotten to the next stage in the next couple of weeks if that is helpful.

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
I think they could have sent an email explaining that it may be some time before they respond! I just think most firms (not just in the legal sector) have no respect for job applicants! It’s disgusting 🤮 Wish I was born 50 years ago when people treated others with respect and decency! I once had a final interview for a VS at a US firm and was ghosted for weeks. Honestly, what the hell has gone wrong in this world! I would really like to see partners going through what we are all experiencing right now, most of them would not be sitting in their shiny offices :D
I think this should be caveated with the fact that the law firms in question usually have thousands of applicants (sometimes tens of thousands over multiple VSs).

There is a higher % of people going to university and obtaining degrees these days (than the days you are referring to), especially women and those from minority backgrounds. So, of course, there are going to be more people applying for training contracts at firms. Equally, there is less emphasis on Oxbridge (and top Russell Group universities) which once again widens the pool.

Nothing has gone wrong in this world, actually, they have gone right! Thank GOD firms are applying more equality/diversity measures otherwise, we wouldn't see more diversity/equality in the profession. But these (relatively new) processes cannot be automated and take more time/deliberation. I want these firms to spend as much time deliberating over me as I have deliberated over them so that I can be sure they think I am a good fit, otherwise, we are wasting each other's time. There is a higher level of respect and decency involved in applying those procedures than was applied years ago. I was happy to wait a few weeks (I think it was around a month or perhaps slightly more) before being told about my training contract offer on this basis alone.

So, we need to reorient our language here - firms are not "ghosting" you, they are taking their time to make the best, most equitable decision for themselves, for you, for the firm and for the profession. Equally, there will be spending a lot of money in training you to be a future solicitor, which adds to the importance of making the best hiring decision.

I'm not disputing that sometimes these processes aren't too lengthy, because, yes, waiting is already riddled with anxiety, but that's life and the nature of the game because these are subjective, not objective decision-making procedures. Graduate recruitment is never more than an email or phone call away, particularly for those at the TC-interview stage. No one should be afraid to ask for an update if it has been weeks with radio silence and I am sure GR wouldn't mind offering one if the process is taking longer than usual.

Overall, what I am trying to say is we need to change the rhetoric and have more respect for the feat graduate recruitment is pulling off in coordinating processes involving so many applicants, with so many factors to consider, alongside ACs/VS/exit interviews to organise simultaneously. Go GR!

Last edited:

LIlaw

Jul 26, 2023
Hi everyone, I have just been invited to do the Withers test (and not done one like it before) - does anyone have any experience with this? I'm wondering what kind of numerical skills are required and if it's recorded/I'll need to wear formal clothing? Any advice appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.