Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker do you think that being diagnosed with an auto immune condition whilst studying for my LPC which affected my attendance counts as “extenuating circumstances”?
It depends on the circumstances - extenuating circumstances are not defined by what the circumstances actually are, but more as to how they particularly impacted you. Two people could have the same condition and with one person they could miss lectures every week, while with the next person they just may have had an issue with one exam/assessment. It’s important to focus on the impact rather than the circumstance.

For instance, did you make your university aware of the inability to attend? And if so, did you receive reasonable adjustments? If you didn’t make the university aware, then was it considered serious enough (eg was it just a couple of missed days Vs months of lack of attendance).

Reactions: laurabeaumont

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
Guys ! It is a bit confusing. Do I need to fill in the university, the year of completion and the country with every subject/ Grade in Addleshaw Goddard application ?
Thanks.

Fd321

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Mar 3, 2023
It depends on the circumstances - extenuating circumstances are not defined by what the circumstances actually are, but more as to how they particularly impacted you. Two people could have the same condition and with one person they could miss lectures every week, while with the next person they just may have had an issue with one exam/assessment. It’s important to focus on the impact rather than the circumstance.

For instance, did you make your university aware of the inability to attend? And if so, did you receive reasonable adjustments? If you didn’t make the university aware, then was it considered serious enough (eg was it just a couple of missed days Vs months of lack of attendance).
I did make them aware and told them I was having blood tests etc as I was not yet diagnosed as diagnosis took months and have only formally received the diagnosis now. But having missed probably about 30-40% of lessons because of how tired I was (which I now know was due to this condition), it obviously had an impact on my learning if that makes sense.

Reactions: laurabeaumont

asola

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 15, 2022
Would it be appropriate for me to talk about how I am currently working on qualifying as a solicitor in another country to demonstrate my interest in working on cross-border transactions/ why an international firm?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I did make them aware and told them I was having blood tests etc as I was not yet diagnosed as diagnosis took months and have only formally received the diagnosis now. But having missed probably about 30-40% of lessons because of how tired I was (which I now know was due to this condition), it obviously had an impact on my learning if that makes sense.
Definitely something to mention in forms then based on that.

Reactions: Fd321

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker hope you are doing well. Could you please tell me, if I end up getting a TC, will the firm contact my current employer? How common is it if the answer to my question is yes? Thanks.
Only with your permission, but they will definitely contact your current employer at some stage. Usually, it will only be 2-3 months before you start your TC though.

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Only with your permission, but they will definitely contact your current employer at some stage. Usually, it will only be 2-3 months before you start your TC though.
Understood. Just a follow up question here. What do people tend to do when they have an AC for a TC but also do a full-time job elsewhere. Do they lie and take the day off for the AC or do they tend to be honest with their current employers?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Understood. Just a follow up question here. What do people tend to do when they have an AC for a TC but also do a full-time job elsewhere. Do they lie and take the day off for the AC or do they tend to be honest with their current employers?
Depends on their relationship with the employer and the nature of their job.

I think for those in permanent jobs with direct competitors, they probably just take a day's annual leave and not say what it is for.

For some who have good relationships with their line managers and where their line managers know they are applying for TCs, they just explain they have an AC coming up.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

hannah04

Legendary Member
Jan 9, 2023
If an application only lets you input 3 relevant work experiences - I have 2 vacation schemes to input. For the 3rd one, I could either put a legal work experience that was 3 years ago or editorial work experience that was 2 years ago. Would it be better to put the legal work experience from 3 years ago because its law related, or the editorial work experience to show more variety/because it was more recent i.e. 2 years ago?

@Jessica Booker do you have any advice?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If an application only lets you input 3 relevant work experiences - I have 2 vacation schemes to input. For the 3rd one, I could either put a legal work experience that was 3 years ago or editorial work experience that was 2 years ago. Would it be better to put the legal work experience from 3 years ago because its law related, or the editorial work experience to show more variety/because it was more recent i.e. 2 years ago?

@Jessica Booker do you have any advice?
How long it is nor whether it’s legal or non legal shouldn’t be the deciding factor.

Think about it more like:

- which entry was the most challenging for you?
- which entry did you learn or develop the most through?
- which entry will bring something additional to your application, not necessarily evidenced elsewhere in your application?

Then pick the entry based on the one that hits most of those answers

Reactions: hannah04
Status
Not open for further replies.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.